San Francisco
Member #

2014 Tundra SR 4x4
Fox 2.5 front/2.0 rear
Expedition One bumpers
Super winch Talon 12.5SR
James Baroud Grand Raid XXL (for sale)
Front Runner load bar kit
Firestone airbags w/ Daystar cradles (for towing)

IMG_6299.JPG

Attachments

Reactions: Levidale

K6VCC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

2007 Tundra here checking in. Just joined this community because of all the good things I've been hearing.

Front - Radflo coilovers
Rear - Radflo shocks & custom Deaver leaf pack
ARB bumper, Front Runner bed rack, Yaesu FTM-400D radio, ummm... and a bunch of other random goodies.

I'm glad to see other Tundra owners on here that actually use their truck. :)

K6VCC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

@dblack - did you install the Volant snorkel yourself? I'm curious because I'm thinking of picking one up, but read about the install being a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

@dblack - did you install the Volant snorkel yourself? I'm curious because I'm thinking of picking one up, but read about the install being a pain.
I did not. I read the same thing that it can be a bear.

Also knowing that I'm a measure once, and cut twice kinda guy, I got a local shop to install.

Reactions: K6VCC

K6VCC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

LoL. Nice. I think when I pick it up, I'll see how much work it'll take. I'm pretty determined most of the time. Got many cuts and bruises from this truck.

Reactions: dblack

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Sounded to me to be more in the "pain in the ass" category than "hard work" area. I was pressed for time with this being my daily driver so I bit the bullet and paid. I think if a person had time to do it right it wouldn't be too bad.

XL.Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phelan CA
First Name
Jarrod
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I gotta say, when given the choice between our 4Runner and our Tundra as our overland vehicle, I was a bit skeptical to use the Tundra. However, I chose the Tundra because we are a family of five, and I didn't think we would ever have enough room for all our gear in the 4Runner. While it may not be as capable as the 4Runner when it comes to tight turns, narrow paths, and situations where wheel base is a concern, it handled an obstacle a couple days ago without even flinching. There's a trail that I've tested all my off road vehicles on that's a good benchmark for the type of off-roading I do. The trail has a split in it. To the left doesn't require a super high clearance, and to the right requires a medium/high clearance. I've tested both patriots I've had (one 4x4, and the other trail rated 4x4) on the left side and if I remember correctly neither had enough power to make it up. After getting the 4Runner, it obviously made it up effortlessly. I never tried the right side (before Sunday), because I was afraid I wouldn't make it, but now I'm sure it would make it up that side as well. This past Sunday, however, I bit the bullet and gave it a go in the Tundra. Threw it in 4 Low and 1st gear, and it crawled right up with barely any throttle. Gotta say that I'm now very much in love with my Tundra, and am happy with choosing it as our overland platform.

A couple from this weekend. The only shots that even vaguely caught the Tundra.

NOMAD5326

Rank II

Enthusiast II

fullsizeoutput_776.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_68f.jpeg
Just back from the detailer! She's never been so clean.

I have a "finally paid off" 2012 5.7 DC. Its my daily driver (aside from my motos) and weekend escape pod. Still in the slow process of a build (when it breaks I'll upgrade it w/something stronger mentality). We camp at least once a month somewhere.

Currently outfitted w/minimal upgrades:
Wildpeak A/T3W's (305/65R-18) mounted on 18" TRD Wheels (they were takeoffs for $400!) I got 80k out of my last set of Wildpeak AT's but I wish I had gotten 70R's,
TRD Cold Air Intake
TRD Pro Skid Plate - oil changes are now a snap!
Bilstein 5100 Level Lift

In Truck or bed: (everything on here I picked up on CL or Ebay for cheap!)
MaxTraxx type pads and shovel
HL Jack w/wheel straps
ARB type portable air compressor
Rotopax Gas/Water (4-Gal each)
ARB type fridge
Camping /cooking Gear

Future Mods (in order of addition):
Sliders (these will be the first addition - still looking for the "right' ones - I don't want steps)
ARB Locking Diff. I only have a LSD right now and yeah....
Winch. I'm torn between a winch plate to keep this at OEM lines or going full out with a F/R Expedition One style bumper w/winch.
RRT w/Rack and awning (But enjoying my Oztent w/awning and accompanying kit)
Snorkle....haven't found one that has has the lines I want and don't want to cut twice...Volant is ugly and makes you cut your flares and... ARB doesn't make one for the Tundra...yet
And I "may" upgrade the suspension to a Camburg Bilstein 6112 package but not sure yet.

Looked at TACO's but they were just too small inside for me and I haul motorcycles and tow a horse trailer sometimes as well so the Tundra kinda found me.

Cheers!
Michael

Last edited:
Reactions: mr.mengsolo

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Last June I decided to go full-size and haven't looked back since. We sold our much-loved and much-used fully kitted out Xterra and I bought a2014 lease return Tundra TRD with 65K Km on it. I've since replaced all the suspension components with ADS shocks, MCM Fab uca's, OME Dakar leaf packs, and Firestone airbags w/Daystar cradles. Added Nitto Ridge Grapplers on Method Double Standard wheels.
Sitting in my garage, waiting for winter to end, is a Southern Style Offroad Slimline bumper with winch and lights, a pair of Slee Offroad sliders, and a Wilco Hitchgate w/dual fuel can and Hi-Lift holders.
I've also replaced the grille wit ha TRD Pro one and added a TRD swaybar (ala "Faux-Pro" I like to call it) I bought a drivers side grab handle for the interior (no idea why Toyota would stop putting a drivers side holy sh**t handle in the turck?) as well.
One of the final pieces of the new build is the Four Wheel Camper hawk, which is currently on order. We expect it to be delivered sometime in the next couple months.

I had many reservations is switching from the very capable mid-size Xterra to a full size rig. I realize with any decision their are compromises, but the added room and awesome smile-inducing power have outweighed the additional size so far.

Attachments

Reactions: NOMAD5326

Ol Red

Rank 0

Traveler I

2o11 crewmax 5.7L. with Icon suspension 2.5"coilovers front and rear shocks. I recently added white knuckle offroad sliders. Running the AFE cold air intake with exhaust to follow. I'll be adding an air compressor soon just researching exactly where I want to place it. I was also thinking of adding rear lockers. Time will tell. Other than that this truck is awesome. ol red.JPG

Porschetech29

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut, CA
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Manuel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6TCQ
2008 Tundra with Icon suspension, White Knuckle Offroad sliders, RCI skids, VooDoo bed rack, Overland Labs RTT, dual battery setup, Bed Slide, ARB fridge

1DBCE339-B751-4AE5-89B7-71F9A4DAE439.jpeg

BAEA4B6B-67BC-4635-906E-270AE7F29C5E.jpeg

8130B72A-4502-4666-B5D5-84C627C25B8E.jpeg

953719F2-57A2-4F6B-871B-566969ADCAED.jpeg

Last edited: