Toyota parts availability?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

California
Hi.
I am in the beginning stages of planning my next overland trip. It will be through Australia, Southern Asia, and down through Africa.

I currently drive a Toyota T100 and am considering keeping it for this trip but am worried about parts availability. I know T100s didn't make it out of North America, but they share a lot of parts with other Toyotas so I am wondering...

Was the 5vz-fe (3.4L V6) engine common in Asia?
Was the 5vz-fe offered in the tacoma or 4runner in your area?
Was the Toyota Hilux offered in your area with Independent front suspension?

Reactions: Gyamtsho

VisualOverland

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lakewood, CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

t100's were pretty common here in the states(At least in california). Just before the changed them to the tundra. some came with the 3vze and later year t100's came with the 5vz. Its more common in 3rd gen 4runners here.

Reactions: Traveling Together

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
It's true that the T-100 was unique to North America, however it was pretty much a parts bin truck except the sheet metal.

That said, I would do your due-diligence on everything (on any vehicle) before embarking on a trip like that.

You seem to be concerned about the engine? Do a thorough tune, make sure all the maintenance is complete, pay special attention to the cooling system, including a new radiator cap (I've seen the top of a radiator blown off, allegedly due to a bad cap!:flushed:). All accessory belts should be renewed. Of course baseline all fluids.

Transmission service, Brake service on all 4 wheels with fluid flush, having good tires that you can find replacements in the right size in other countries would be a priority also. Carry spare u-joints, although they almost never expire, some key spares that you probably already know about for the truck. And some tools to do the work!

Maybe have a shop manual with you.

After you're happy with all that being done, do some shake-down trips to make sure you've covered everything, and that everything has been done right!

Good luck, I look forward to reading about your adventures in a unique-to-the-world truck!

Dan.

Enthusiast III

California
I love WIKI CHEAT , this may help to look for part availability.
Thanks mmnorthdirections. I use that quite a bit too, but have noticed that a lot of the vehicle information is USA centric. The Tacoma posting for instance doesn't mention many of the countries that the Tacoma is sold in. Then there is the question of whether or not the USA tacoma is the same as the tacoma sold in Bolivia or any other country.
Still a good starting point and I will go back through some of those postings to see if I can find the info I am looking for.

Reactions: mmnorthdirections

Enthusiast III

California
It's true that the T-100 was unique to North America, however it was pretty much a parts bin truck except the sheet metal.

That said, I would do your due-diligence on everything (on any vehicle) before embarking on a trip like that.

You seem to be concerned about the engine? Do a thorough tune, make sure all the maintenance is complete, pay special attention to the cooling system, including a new radiator cap (I've seen the top of a radiator blown off, allegedly due to a bad cap!:flushed:). All accessory belts should be renewed. Of course baseline all fluids.

Transmission service, Brake service on all 4 wheels with fluid flush, having good tires that you can find replacements in the right size in other countries would be a priority also. Carry spare u-joints, although they almost never expire, some key spares that you probably already know about for the truck. And some tools to do the work!

Maybe have a shop manual with you.

After you're happy with all that being done, do some shake-down trips to make sure you've covered everything, and that everything has been done right!

Good luck, I look forward to reading about your adventures in a unique-to-the-world truck!

Dan.
Thanks VCexpedition.
I have had good luck with the truck through Mexico and Central America, which is what I bought it for. I like the size and knew I could get parts in those areas.
I am not particularly worried about the truck having any issues, its just that this trip I am planning will encompass several years of traveling and lots of rough driving so no matter what vehicle I choose, it will have problems at some point and simple problems can become major head aches if you can't find the parts.

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
Thanks mmnorthdirections. I use that quite a bit too, but have noticed that a lot of the vehicle information is USA centric. The Tacoma posting for instance doesn't mention many of the countries that the Tacoma is sold in. Then there is the question of whether or not the USA tacoma is the same as the tacoma sold in Bolivia or any other country.
Still a good starting point and I will go back through some of those postings to see if I can find the info I am looking for.
I've never seen a Tacoma in any counties but the US, Canada and MX fwiw. Saw zero in Bolivia. Globally the Hilux is offered, while similar size they are a totally different platform.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Enthusiast III

California
I've never seen a Tacoma in any counties but the US, Canada and MX fwiw. Saw zero in Bolivia. Globally the Hilux is offered, while similar size they are a totally different platform.
Thanks. The reason I ask about the different vehicles is because the T100 is kind of a mix of all these different parts.

The Hilux for example, shares the same independent front suspension and steering components as the T100.

And I know vehicles sux as the Prado, tacoma, tundra, and 4runner have been offered in some parts of the world with the same drive train. I'm just trying to figure out if it was offered or popular in any of these parts of the world.

I know its not the most "global" platform, but considering what we can get here in the USA I am still feeling like it's one of my better options.

Reactions: Lonniestockade