Toyota or Nissan for family Ovlerland rig?

• HTML tutorial

Chapman87

Rank 0

Traveler I

I am continuing my search for a rig and have started looking at Nissan, but I know nothing about them. When looking at a Toyota (Tacoma or 4Runner), I pretty much know every inch to look at and consider. I know the engine options, different Trims, etc... Nissan, I am clueless.

I need something with a backseat so an extended cab is a must, 4 door is a huge bonus. When looking at Nissan Frontier or Xterra, what should I look at? Where do they rust? What engine and trans should I consider? Do they have locker/s?

4runner or Xterra?
Tacoma or Frontier?

john casson

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Danville CA
Member #

I am continuing my search for a rig and have started looking at Nissan, but I know nothing about them. When looking at a Toyota (Tacoma or 4Runner), I pretty much know every inch to look at and consider. I know the engine options, different Trims, etc... Nissan, I am clueless.

I need something with a backseat so an extended cab is a must, 4 door is a huge bonus. When looking at Nissan Frontier or Xterra, what should I look at? Where do they rust? What engine and trans should I consider? Do they have locker/s?

4runner or Xterra?
Tacoma or Frontier?
Hello,
I've had an 2000 exterra, was a good rig. Just not enough space for my family of 2 boys and dog. I now have an 07 pathfinder. Space is great, 3rd row folds all the way down giving a lot of cargo space. Nissan cost is a lot less upfront, yet not as reliable as Toyota and after market is some what limited. Nissan's off road package do have lockers. My pathfinder now has 120k miles and was low maintenance until 100k

Fuel pump
Coils
Abs sensor
New radiator

But still less then $$ then a Toyota.

Chapman87

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello,
I've had an 2000 exterra, was a good rig. Just not enough space for my family of 2 boys and dog. I now have an 07 pathfinder. Space is great, 3rd row folds all the way down giving a lot of cargo space. Nissan cost is a lot less upfront, yet not as reliable as Toyota and after market is some what limited. Nissan's off road package do have lockers. My pathfinder now has 120k miles and was low maintenance until 100k

Fuel pump
Coils
Abs sensor
New radiator

But still less then $$ then a Toyota.
That is along the lines of what I was thinking.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

My next truck will likely be a 2007-2010 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. Why? Because those years were available with the long bed and the manual transmission combination, which means less tranny maintenance, and more fun to drive.

By 2007 the Frontiers had the rear ends fixed (stouter, didn’t break like the 2006 and older), and by then they had they good (bigger) engines.

The Pro-4X trim package is great if you want a factory rear e-locker, but you can’t get it with the long bed/stick combo.

My plan is to get the long bed/stick non-Pro-4X, then add air lockers and a small lift later.

Most of the Frontier forums say that by 2007-2009ish they had all the bugs worked out of them.

Great value truck. Most people overlook them because they are more utilitarian, not as many frills as the other trucks...

James

Chapman87

Rank 0

Traveler I

My next truck will likely be a 2007-2010 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. Why? Because those years were available with the long bed and the manual transmission combination, which means less tranny maintenance, and more fun to drive.

By 2007 the Frontiers had the rear ends fixed (stouter, didn’t break like the 2006 and older), and by then they had they good (bigger) engines.

The Pro-4X trim package is great if you want a factory rear e-locker, but you can’t get it with the long bed/stick combo.

My plan is to get the long bed/stick non-Pro-4X, then add air lockers and a small lift later.

Most of the Frontier forums say that by 2007-2009ish they had all the bugs worked out of them.

Great value truck. Most people overlook them because they are more utilitarian, not as many frills as the other trucks...

James
That is fantastic info, I'll narrow my search to those years and see what comes up.

Id dig the 6spd manual, but how stout are the autos in those years?

bawesomfels

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
That is fantastic info, I'll narrow my search to those years and see what comes up.

If you're going to stick with those years, make sure 100% that the previous owner did preventative maintenance for the SMOD issue they were having with the autos. Strawberry milkshake is a cause of death for 05-10

Chapman87

Rank 0

Traveler I

Just researched that a bit, wow that would suck. Assuming I could avoid that issue with the 6spd manual, any other known issues?