Toyota LC 78 Troopy and Toyota LC 71 advantages and disadvantages !

• HTML tutorial

sunset

Rank 0

Contributor I

The mother Earth
First Name
sunset
Last Name
..!!
Hi everyone,

I am posting this because I have the two options/vehicles in front of me; and I want to buy one of them; I am very new to over landing and I am not sure what will be my future in this area ; all I know is that I like strong cars and I I like to drive alone/solo to nice places and I want to have a car that will not let me down when I am alone at say desert or any other places that I hope I can go to like forest or so.

But let me ask my question in a way that I think would make its answer easier for you and more useful for me; My question is:

Regardless of the nature of the use of a particular person, what are the advantages and disadvantages of the following two cars Toyota LC 78 Troop Carrier (Troopy ) and Toyota LC 71?

I need to know the strong points and the weakness ones of each of these two cars say when used at desert; mud; snow; forest ....etc

Thank you in advance for your help.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Are you sure? The 71 is half the size of the 78...the 76 would be more comparable to the 78.
Besides the wheelbase, all the actual J7 series are technically nearly identical.

sunset

Rank 0

Contributor I

The mother Earth
First Name
sunset
Last Name
..!!
Yes,

That is exactly what I want to ask about; for example I want to know the advantages of having short wheelbase instead of having long one;

It is not a normal comparison of equal size (or near in size) vehicle; No; Its about knowing the advantages of having each and the disadvantages too, I did not include the LC76 because it has a wheelbase at the middle between the LC71 and the LC78 (it has shorter wheel base than the LC78 and longer than the LC71); I want to focus on the extreme values ; long/short wheelbase in general but for these two vehicles specifically; because I have the chance to buy any of them.

For example one of the disadvantages of having the LC78 is that if you decided to take it to sand it can hang at the top of a Hill because of its long wheelbase. LC71 will not face this problem, the LC78 that in front of me has rear/front differential locker but these will not help if both axes get hanged in air at a top of a hill, this is a situation that makes me think of the LC71,

One of the most nice things about the LC78 is its very large storage space that can be customized by me in the future; the stopper for me is its performance in sand/desert ; can any one provide a real experience in taking the LC78 to Desert / hills and examine its reliability in this kind of environment?

The LC71 does not have rear or front differential lockers by default from factory but if you install them it will be very reliable in any situation I think; what do you think?

I know that it is really a matter of deciding in which situations / circumstances you will use the vehicle in; but for me I want to decide regardless of this factor ; at least giving this factor a minimum effect or suppose that the new vehicle will need to best fit in all most all usage types (desert/sand/hill adventures ; overlanding Travel with luggage ....etc ) and most environments ; why I need this wide spectrum of information is because I do not know which of the various overlanding activities will atract me more in the future ; so I want to know in general all the advantages and disadvantages of each of these two vehicles regarding all overlanding activities so I can choose between them depending on which of the overlanding activities I expect my self to like to do in the future.

As I mentioned I am new to over landing completely. So forgive me if I ask questions whose answers are obvious to most of you But I do not know their answers or If I ask a general question that may need wide spectrum of information to be provided like my current question.

I appreciate your comments on these two cars specifically because I have a chance to buy one in the very near futures (maybe today or in a very fiew days later).

Thank you,

Last edited:

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ok, I own a 1993 80 series lc turbo diesel with 3" lift and 35" tires. The 71 has a short wheel base which is good in all terrain but steep hills, it will have a tendency to roll on to its top but the 78 will not. The other is storeage and accessories that can be added without overloading the vehicle. If you have not see 4xoverland on YouTube please look and his troopy.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Honestly if I was to choose between these two very different trucks it would come down to the deal $ would make the difference. Which one is cleaner as equipped to suit my particular needs. Its very difficult to make a suggestion for you without a lot more data. Exact info on these trucks, pictures and your exact intention of use. I'd lean towards the troopy unless it has a 2h in it then I might go for the 71 with a 1FZ. Do you need the space of the 78, do you plan to sleep in it, do you have additional passengers all good reasons for the troopy. If you plan to take smaller tighter trails, do not want the additional space, weight then 71 might make more sense.

Really you are choosing between great and great if these trucks meet your needs. Both will be easy to equip for any condition you intend to travel. Good luck and when you pull the trigger post pics love to see it!

20190510_115430.jpg

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I love my longer wheel base. My shorter vehicles I liked for tight turning/rocks. Running 35" tires, I don't worry about hanging up. My 80 has the room I need for long trips over all kinds of terrain. I don't go to the places I use to take my Jeep any more. Taking long exploration trips with the Jeep is why I built a trailer. The trailer hardly goes out. personally, I would get the 78. It better fits what I would use it for.
Look at what you want to do and choose. Don't forget to factor in part availability also.