Launch Member

Enthusiast III

St Andrews, UK
First Name
Rory
Last Name
Cox
Member #

I bade a fond farewell to my '99 Wrangler TJ (amazing off-road but too small for the family), and I'm super excited to have found a 2004 Toyota Landcruiser 120 LC3 in great condition. 140k miles on the clock, but chassis in great condition. Comes with centre and rear locking diffs. Can't wait to get this built into a proper overlander & off-roader.

My 'to do' list:
1) Full fluid and filter change
2) Tire upgrade to slightly larger 265/70/17 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 (already ordered)
3) ARB underbody protection set
4) Recovery points - hopefully install a 2" hitch receiver on rear; currently investigating options for front
5) renewed rust-proofing of chassis

After that lot, I'll have to do some more saving!! Would like a drop down table on rear tailgate. Probably a roof rack eventually. And perhaps upgrade the suspension using the Pedders kit.

Will post my progress, as you don't see many of these on the site it seems. Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback on the LR D3 v LC120 decision!

Attachments

paramatt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shropshire England
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Ziola
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7MJZ
that's a fine-looking truck you got, I have not seen any with center and rear lockers so that a great find.

I like the black rims think I will do that to mine!

Iv just got the prices on all the service parts for mine but I'm not sure if I'm going over the top mine has got a full-service history but I don't trust them what do you think?
Gearbox oil, diff oil, brake oil, engine oil and filter, fuel filter, water pump, cambelt and tensioner, aux belt and good old wax oil!

KO2 in 70 profile is top of my list as well just expensive about £170 each.

would love to know what you find for the front recovery I was looking at that as well I did see each side of the rad some holes in the chassis and I'm not sure if you can get an off the shelf option for that.

look forward to seeing it progress so keep us update

Reactions: HistoryOffroad

HistoryOffroad

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

St Andrews, UK
First Name
Rory
Last Name
Cox
Member #

that's a fine-looking truck you got, I have not seen any with center and rear lockers so that a great find.

I like the black rims think I will do that to mine!

Iv just got the prices on all the service parts for mine but I'm not sure if I'm going over the top mine has got a full-service history but I don't trust them what do you think?
Gearbox oil, diff oil, brake oil, engine oil and filter, fuel filter, water pump, cambelt and tensioner, aux belt and good old wax oil!

KO2 in 70 profile is top of my list as well just expensive about £170 each.

would love to know what you find for the front recovery I was looking at that as well I did see each side of the rad some holes in the chassis and I'm not sure if you can get an off the shelf option for that.

look forward to seeing it progress so keep us update
All the LC3s have rear diff lockers, but often the actuator seizes up. Mine is okay. Do you have an LC4/5? They have a centre diff and traction control instead of the rear locker.

I think changing all the fluid and filters is a good idea, regardless of service history - then you're starting from a point that you're confident with. The timing belt was changed on mine less than 20k miles ago, so I'm not worried about that.

Yeah, the KO2s are pricey - Asda tires was the cheapest I found: £180 each fitted and balanced. So £900 for all five! Ouch!!

Front recovery - yep, sounds like you've found the same holes that I have - the lower one is threaded. I've found a couple of Aussie firms that make rated recovery points for the 120 - and apparently 150 points also work. Currently investigating prices. If it turns out to be stupidly expensive to ship them over, I'll probably just contact a local fabricator. Will let you know if I find anything promising. I guess the other alternative is that we could do a single order of 2 sets and split the shipping costs....?

HistoryOffroad

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

St Andrews, UK
First Name
Rory
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ooooo yeah that looks good how is the noise?? Any rubbing etc??
I can't notice any difference in noise levels to be honest.

No rubbing issues at all - absolutely fine on the standard suspension. The only slight hitch is that the larger tire won't mount direct to the rear spare mount, as the bottom catches on the rear door panel mould. At the moment I've just put about 8mm worth of M12 washers (about 4-5 washers) to act as a spacer and bring the tire clear of the rear door. The tire doesn't catch on the rear bumper or wiper though, so that's good.

Reactions: paramatt

HistoryOffroad

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

St Andrews, UK
First Name
Rory
Last Name
Cox
Member #

The build of Gandalf is finished...for now.

Raised air intake, custom sliders welded on, blacked out grill, shelf and drawer system in the boot. And a Gandalf sticker, of course! Really happy with the BFG tires - although unfortunately have only been able to really test them on one trip.

Attachments