Toyota Frame Rust Recall

• HTML tutorial

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

2nd gens frame is all on Dana - they are paying the bill to Toyota.
1st gens was a Toyota problem, that is why they offered buybacks.

Had our 2005 frame replaced in 2015.. good as gold now;

Kyle Collins

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Fort Collins, CO
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Collins
Member #

I had my Tacoma recalled a few years ago. In my opinion a Toyota has a very reliable powertrain, making it last longer than the average vehicle. If other body of frame vehicles lasted as long I think those companies would have frame rust issues too. Salt is not friendly. Not to mention most vehicles owners who encounter salt don't properly wash the underside of their car.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

Is it a defect in their paint or corrosion protection?
Defect in the Dana frame design.

If you get an inspection notice from Toyota you take your truck in. Toyota will inspect the frame, if they find any holes bigger than 10mm you get a new frame. Common failure spot is inside passenger side right beside the catalytic converter.

If they can't find any holes Toyota will apply rustproofing and extend your frame rust warranty another 10 years. If it did fail it they will order a new updated Dana frame matched to your VIN and replace everything attached to it (real leaf pack, lower front control arms), and then extend your warranty for 10 years. No cost to you. I spent $14 for new wheel nuts.

The bill ($12,000 CAD) is paid by Dana.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
I had my Tacoma recalled a few years ago. In my opinion a Toyota has a very reliable powertrain, making it last longer than the average vehicle. If other body of frame vehicles lasted as long I think those companies would have frame rust issues too. Salt is not friendly. Not to mention most vehicles owners who encounter salt don't properly wash the underside of their car.

I don't think this is necessarily true, especially with the 2nd gen issues. No debating that Toyotas are reliable and dependable vehicles, but many people were experiencing crippling frame rust issues within 5 years. This points t to manufacturer and supply issues.
Also, this issue is by no means limited to Toyotas on a global scale. People with Nissan Frontiers/Navaras in Great Britain have been experiencing frame rot to the point that their trucks essentially snapped in half. The issue was traced to the frame supply origin, a company in Spain. Luckily, the Nissan vehicles based on the F-Alpha platform here in the US have had no such issue.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I don't think this is necessarily true, especially with the 2nd gen issues. No debating that Toyotas are reliable and dependable vehicles, but many people were experiencing crippling frame rust issues within 5 years. This points t to manufacturer and supply issues.
Also, this issue is by no means limited to Toyotas on a global scale. People with Nissan Frontiers/Navaras in Great Britain have been experiencing frame rot to the point that their trucks essentially snapped in half. The issue was traced to the frame supply origin, a company in Spain. Luckily, the Nissan vehicles based on the F-Alpha platform here in the US have had no such issue.
I just wanted to highlight that the Nissan problem is much more limited in scope. All the vehicles with rust problems and failures came out of one factory in Spain, Toyota's problems are much more widespread and cross two vehicle generations.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
I just wanted to highlight that the Nissan problem is much more limited in scope. All the vehicles with rust problems and failures came out of one factory in Spain, Toyota's problems are much more widespread and cross two vehicle generations.

I agree with everything you said. I pointed out the single Spanish company in my original response. It's also safe to assume (without having the stats in front of me) that more people drive 2nd gen Tacomas in the US than drive Navaras or Suzuki Equators in England.

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

The big reason Tacoma's have so many supposed "issues" is because their owners spend a lot of time online complaining about those issues. As well as time spent learning about issues they didn't even know they had. I don't believe there are no more or less problems with Tacoma's than any other car produced at a similar quantity.

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

My brother's 2005 Sequoia had this done. His frame was clearly defective. By his 3rd year of ownership, you could take a putty knife and peel sections of rusted steel off the entire rear 1/3...2 years later the entire frame was like that. Their's was replaced early on before the recall, and was inspected and covered by Toyota. They were legitimately concerned that the frame was going to snap in half, it was complete junk. Cost them nothing, and they got a loaner.

I've never seen metal 'puff up' and just flake off like that before. It was terrible, but they kept them as customers by recognizing & correcting the issue. Took 2 days I think? They did a few extra things while the frame was off, but the actual frame replacement was completely free.

Kyle Collins

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Fort Collins, CO
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Collins
Member #

I did not realize that people had bad rust issues within 5 years. My statement was purely based upon an opinion with no factual evidence. Glad to learn it was a frame supplier issue.

Kyle Collins

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Fort Collins, CO
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Collins
Member #

The big reason Tacoma's have so many supposed "issues" is because their owners spend a lot of time online complaining about those issues. As well as time spent learning about issues they didn't even know they had. I don't believe there are no more or less problems with Tacoma's than any other car produced at a similar quantity.
This made me laugh ha if you're a toyota owner who spends any time on a forum you know this is true.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

While Tacoma owners are particularly bad for this, the multigenerational frame rust issues are more than a fluke. Toyota ignored the issue for years until a truck lost a frame.crossmember and spare tire on the freeway. NHTSA got involved when Toyota refused to respond. They also ignored NHTSA until they were threatened with a nationwide Stop Sale court order. The entire internal structure and culture of Toyota made it nearly impossible for the company to react to such a massive issue.

The frame rot problems on Tacomas are widespread and a much more expensive problem. The fact is that Toyota is following GM, in a vain quest to be the biggest automaker, they sacrificed quality. The FJ Cruiser had serious body issues that persisted despite multiple revisions on the assembly line, all Toyota trucks and SUVs have fragile CV joints that are finicky and prone to vibration and premature failure. I am simply not convinced of the superior build quality of Toyota anymore, and I certainly don't think they are worth the price of admission.

Reactions: BJA90