Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I've been searching and even talked with someone from Rough Country. Im looking for a conversion kit for my titan xd so I can install the d-ring shackles instead of tow hooks that are on it. The other option is something like the EXO winch mount that bolts on to the stock bumper but I can't find one of those for my truck either. If anyone knows of where I can find either of these that would be great!!! I know I could just get a new bumper but the bumpers are hard to find and expensive, (like everything LMAO)! Thanks in advance!

Brassmonkey

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

I've been searching and even talked with someone from Rough Country. Im looking for a conversion kit for my titan xd so I can install the d-ring shackles instead of tow hooks that are on it. The other option is something like the EXO winch mount that bolts on to the stock bumper but I can't find one of those for my truck either. If anyone knows of where I can find either of these that would be great!!! I know I could just get a new bumper but the bumpers are hard to find and expensive, (like everything LMAO)! Thanks in advance!
A good fabrication shop can make short work of something like that. Looks like the Titan toe hooks side into the frame and bolt on. Maybe the could cut off the hook and weld on a d-ring tab?

Reactions: Lil Bear

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

A good fabrication shop can make short work of something like that. Looks like the Titan toe hooks side into the frame and bolt on. Maybe the could cut off the hook and weld on a d-ring tab?
Possibly! The hooks bolt directly to the underside of the frame. Whats so bad is its right there and easy peasy to get to. I'll have to see what kind of shops I have around here.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS

You said you talked to someone at Rough Country but didn't say what they said.

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

The guy I chatted with told me they didn't have them for the XD model, which is what I have. Don't quite know what the difference would be from mine to the non XD would be as far as the tow hooks go.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Also mine is a 16 year model

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Damn. If you can compare yours to a newer one and the frame is the same, the difference may be the cutout on the bumper. The other issue may be the way your hooks bolt on (different bolt spacing). If the tow hooks are interchangeable between the years, that answers that. If not then no.

The basic design is simple. A piece of 3/4" bar stock and a few holes. Having one made wouldn't be difficult. Search for off-road fabricators in your area (or any for that matter). The off-road guys will know what your talking about though and a regular one may not. You would give them a tow hook to get the hole pattern. I wouldn't recommend having the mount added to your existing tow hook. Its most likely cast iron, welding to that properly can be difficult.

Custom off-road bumpers as you know are real expensive, real heavy and very few of them are not real big. Most people just need a nice attachment point for a strap. The factory tow hooks work but some have an issue with the strap falling off if there's any slack.
Good luck with your search.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
A quick bumper search showed custom bumpers fitting 16+. That means the mounting should be the same. The difference may be more in the cutout where it comes through.
Time to compare yours and a 17+ side by side.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

A quick bumper search showed custom bumpers fitting 16+. That means the mounting should be the same. The difference may be more in the cutout where it comes through.
Time to compare yours and a 17+ side by side.
Awesome! Yeah Ive seen some pieces that interchange between the years but when I asked anout the hooks to d-rings they said nope. I did find a small winch mount bumper type thing that goes right in with my stock bumper but the largest winch it can use is 12,000lbs. Didn't think that would be enough for my truck, dependent upon the situation.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Here's a picture of the brackets. The mounting holes are slotted so should allow some "adjustment". Not sure I'd trust he hardware in that picture though.

You're not going to get much bigger than 12k for a consumer off the shelf winch. Warn make a 8 1/4 ton winch but really 12 K should be plenty for your truck. 12k is double the curb weight of a 2020 Titan for instance. And you can always add in a snatch block if you needed mo'powah (leverage)

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I did find a small winch mount bumper type thing that goes right in with my stock bumper but the largest winch it can use is 12,000lbs. Didn't think that would be enough for my truck, dependent upon the situation.
I use a 12k Come-Up on my Cruiser. Its worked well for me. You go higher than that and the physical winch size goes up quick. Most of the 14k and up are commercial duty.

Reactions: Lil Bear and Downs

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Here's a picture of the brackets. The mounting holes are slotted so should allow some "adjustment". Not sure I'd trust he hardware in that picture though.

You're not going to get much bigger than 12k for a consumer off the shelf winch. Warn make a 8 1/4 ton winch but really 12 K should be plenty for your truck. 12k is double the curb weight of a 2020 Titan for instance. And you can always add in a snatch block if you needed mo'powah (leverage)
Ok so from what i see here the difference is the arm of the mount. So on my tow hooks they are flat, where as those look like they have a dip off set. Im gonna go take a pic of my hooks.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I use a 12k Come-Up on my Cruiser. Its worked well for me. You go higher than that and the physical winch size goes up quick. Most of the 14k and up are commercial duty.
Oh well sweet!! I may just end up doing that then. I like the bumpers but, there hasnt been one that ive seen and said "OH yeah, I want that one" especially for the money for them. If i beat up a stock bumper its much easier and cheaper to replace then an aftermarket one. I just want to be able to mount a winch and lights.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Here's my hook set up now.

Attachments

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Titan XD to hooks have a flat base where the bolts tie them to the frame. It would be a pretty simple build.

the non XD titans have a “step” in thickness of the tie hook where the bolts tie them to the frame. The hooks truly are different. As well as the way they pass through the bumper is as well.

you may be able to interchange them, however, it would require shimming them to take up free space, which wouldn’t be secure enough fir me to trust it on a recovery point. As well as not sure if the 2 bolts holding them to the frame are the same distance apart or not.

XD
AE007D34-E600-4338-8FFD-E115D6A94DF5.jpeg
C8BE2431-B971-4D82-806B-7F8DEE0F0B07.jpeg
287843B6-E8B5-470D-ADBB-20D699AF7B77.jpeg

Titan non XD
AE3907EE-CB5E-4D67-A7CE-B038213F618F.jpeg
F967E8DE-4C0A-4549-A52F-D7165D119ECC.jpeg

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Titan XD to hooks have a flat base where the bolts tie them to the frame. It would be a pretty simple build.

the non XD titans have a “step” in thickness of the tie hook where the bolts tie them to the frame. The hooks truly are different. As well as the way they pass through the bumper is as well.

you may be able to interchange them, however, it would require shimming them to take up free space, which wouldn’t be secure enough fir me to trust it on a recovery point. As well as not sure if the 2 bolts holding them to the frame are the same distance apart or not.

XD
View attachment 156247
View attachment 156248
View attachment 156249

Titan non XD
View attachment 156250
View attachment 156251
Yeah thats what ive come up with. Mine are flat, bolted to the frame and the bumper slot is slightly different.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
That would be bone simple for a machine shop to build. Take the hook off and take it to them and tell them you need this but with a hole for a shackle instead of a hook. Maybe take them a photo of kind of what you want for reference. When I worked at a machine shop we probably could have milled the same slots/holes and whatnot and had it ready to go in no time.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

That would be bone simple for a machine shop to build. Take the hook off and take it to them and tell them you need this but with a hole for a shackle instead of a hook. Maybe take them a photo of kind of what you want for reference. When I worked at a machine shop we probably could have milled the same slots/holes and whatnot and had it ready to go in no time.
Yeah i think thats what im gonna do. Just gotta find a shop or someone around me.