Apache Junction, AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Kahut
Service Branch
USAF
Greetings from Arizona, USA.

I am a total newb when it comes to overlanding. I do have some trail experience and I know how to handle my Jeep. I suspect, though, I'll eventually come across trails that exceed my experience and provide a technical challenge.

So I am here to learn what overlanding entails, get an idea of what I need to spend more than a few days out on the trails and to become familiar with finding and navigating through areas I've never been before. My list of things is long but at first I'll do some local trails, shake the Jeep down and through the experiences get a better idea of what I need vs. what I have. I'll also surely learn the lessons of what I have that I won't need!

I'm glad to be here and I am looking forward to learning about this lifestyle.

Michael
Apache Junction, AZ

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Michael, welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups.
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning.

I am one of the SW Region Member Reps so if you have any questions let me know. @freak4life is your closest member rep based in AZ as well.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Welcome from Ontario Canada!

I've driven through Arizona a few times and it's awesome stuff. Once you figure out what you need vs. what you want you'll be set and everyone here will tell you something different in the way of "needs" because everyone has different needs. Start small ( cooler and a tent) and start stretching out your trips. You'll figure out pretty quickly what you need to make it easier to go longer and make things more comfortable.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

I am a total newb when it comes to overlanding. I do have some trail experience and I know how to handle my Jeep. I suspect, though, I'll eventually come across trails that exceed my experience and provide a technical challenge.

So I am here to learn what overlanding entails, get an idea of what I need to spend more than a few days out on the trails and to become familiar with finding and navigating through areas I've never been before. My list of things is long but at first I'll do some local trails, shake the Jeep down and through the experiences get a better idea of what I need vs. what I have. I'll also surely learn the lessons of what I have that I won't need!

Michael
Apache Junction, AZ
Welcome to Overland Bound Michael
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative is @freak4life
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Overland Expo West
About WEST — Overland Expo®

Reactions: dp454so

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

welcome,

on the technical challenges thing
overlanding is most about following the route of least resistance, avoiding trail obstacles to guarantee survival.
the challenges are packing what you need without going overweight. three big considerations, a dry warm place to sleep, fresh, cold food, and comms.
comms could be high tech electronics or it could be a paper with your itinery, map of where you plan to go, left with a trusted freind.

the big challenge is staying safe and knowing someone can find you.

Last edited:
Reactions: dp454so and Flix

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

Michael
Apache Junction, AZ
Welcome from a brother from the Southeast corner of this great nation! I'm also a fairly new guy but there is a ton of great info here and all are happy to help which make this an amazing community.

At a high level, you have the right perspective. Get familiar with your rig, understand its limits now, and DEFINITELY don't exceed them. You guys and gals in the SW have way more troubling trails than we do in the SE... long story short, go slow to go fast ;) Listen to the guys in your group when you're out for group rides and I bid you well when your ideas for upgrades finally catch up with your wallet.

The beauty of Overlanding is that the limits of Overlanding are only defined by yourself and your own imagination. Welcome to the rabbit hole. You are your own Lewis & Clark with a capable rig.

"How far do you want to go, and how fast to you want to get there?"
DP

Last edited:

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

Welcome from NH.
"Live free or die"

Best state motto ever - considering that's coming from an oldish WV guy (montani semper liberi = Mountaineers are always free) is a helluva a compliment.

Pleasure to meet you.
DP

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
"Live free or die"

Best state motto ever - considering that's coming from an oldish WV guy (montani semper liberi = Mountaineers are always free) is a helluva a compliment.

Pleasure to meet you.
DP
I used to live in MA and saw a bumper sticker that said "Live Free or Here". Still laugh about it.

Reactions: dp454so