Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Yup, I will be viewing in SE Tennessee. The path is supposed to be very close to my oldest daughter's location. Gonna go down and camp out a few days. Maybe find some trails to run.

Reactions: jrbechthold

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I just requested the vacation time at work, no way I'm missing it! I'll be somewhere in Central Oregon though, doubt I'll make it to Texas... Regional meet-ups seem like a good idea.
I'm in for Central Oregon!

Comanche

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Goodyear, Arizona
Member #

My wife and I would like to go. This would be a great opportunity for an off grid meet. The Grand Tetons have dispersed camping in areas. There will not be another total eclipse in North America until 2044.

Reactions: jrbechthold

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Could be fun event to organize a meetup around - or regional meetups...

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

My wife has already said we are going... hope it isn't the end of the world (as we know it).
Sounds great -- hope lots of groups are going in their respective areas...we ARE Overlanders and if it is TEOTWAWKI then.....

upload_2017-1-3_20-37-57.png

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

If anyone is in the KC Area We will be in 90%. But we plan to go up past St.Joseph deeper into Nebraska to find a secluded spot to watch, all are welcome to join.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

If you guys are planning on going anywhere near public or private campgrounds, state parks where reservations can be made, etc., you are a year too late. I've been reading on other forums where public campgrounds across the country have been booked full with waiting lists since January 2016. Even dispersed campgrounds, deserts, etc., will probably be crowded more than the 4th of July, especially if they are in areas where cloud cover is almost guaranteed. A group I was reading about was trying to get campground reservations in very rural Wyoming, far from the the national parks, and could only get six of their group in one campground and two in another. And this was late in 2015.

Closest to me is 6-7 hours south in southwestern Kentucky or southern Tennessee. Lots of detailed information on the Great American Eclipse web site.

Something exciting that I did find, is that although it has been 38 years since the last total solar eclipse transited the USA, the next one is on only 7 years, on April 8, 2024. Better yet, is that the center of the path passes within two miles of my house, and the length of greatest totality is 3:54 vs the 2:40 this time around. I sure hope those April Showers aren't happening then!!

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

If you guys are planning on going anywhere near public or private campgrounds, state parks where reservations can be made, etc., you are a year too late. I've been reading on other forums where public campgrounds across the country have been booked full with waiting lists since January 2016. Even dispersed campgrounds, deserts, etc., will probably be crowded more than the 4th of July, especially if they are in areas where cloud cover is almost guaranteed. A group I was reading about was trying to get campground reservations in very rural Wyoming, far from the the national parks, and could only get six of their group in one campground and two in another. And this was late in 2015.

Closest to me is 6-7 hours south in southwestern Kentucky or southern Tennessee. Lots of detailed information on the Great American Eclipse web site.

Something exciting that I did find, is that although it has been 38 years since the last total solar eclipse transited the USA, the next one is on only 7 years, on April 8, 2024. Better yet, is that the center of the path passes within two miles of my house, and the length of greatest totality is 3:54 vs the 2:40 this time around. I sure hope those April Showers aren't happening then!!
This is definitely the case in Oregon. In past years, reservations weren't even available until 6 months prior- we'd wait up until midnight, hitting refresh on the computer until reservations opened. For the eclipse though, it appears they allowed reservations much earlier. Oregon is all booked up...

Reactions: Steve

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
We are planing on going to the Madras OR area.

wataco

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Redmond, WA
Member #

Reactions: Chris Arnesen

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

My wife's boss has a condo in the Ketchum/Sun Valley area so a group of us will be heading up there. On the day of the eclipse we will probably venture up to Stanley to be in the heart of it.

IMG_2162.jpg

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

The family and I are trying to plan for this. Despite my daughter starting school the week prior to the eclipse, we're thinking to pull her out for it. She is also interested in seeing it and this is the closes for us in the foreseeable future. Likely we're heading up to OR. Can anyone offer some advice / suggestions on where to watch the eclipse? We're definitely up for overlanding, we don't need an organized campground. Central OR sounds great but I'm not familiar with the area.