Total oddball gear: 4 Space locking rooftop box

• HTML tutorial

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chicago | Western Suburbs
Member #

The things you find when working on motorcycles.
I was over at a friend's place for garage night and I noticed these clamshells over in the corner and asked what they were. He told me it was a roof top box that he has had since the 90s and never mounted. He had all the keys, parts, mounting hardware and instructions and he said I can have it. So I am going to investigate into mounting this directly to the roof rails of the 4Runner with modern hardware since the base of the two of four pieces have a bunch of predrilled holes and mounting plates on the inside. Its weird. Its yellow. Its free. I cant pass it up.

Any thoughts on the best way to attach this to the factory cross bars on my 2017 4Runner? I figure Yakima or Thule would be a good place to start?

Here is the backstory on the item. Ironically this comes from Sweden by means of an ex Saab executive repping a company in Thailand. Classic.unnamed.jpg unnamed-1.jpg unnamed-2.jpg unnamed-3.jpg

Automotive News | October 30, 1995 - 12:01 am EST --- A WINNING HAND? Tucked in the corner of the SEMA show in Las Vegas was former Saab Cars USA executive Bob Sinclair, touting a modular roof luggage storage system called the 4Space from Dynamind Co. of Bangkok, Thailand. It carried a suggested price of $850. Sinclair said he hasn't missed working for an automaker. And he's certainly not bored. When asked for a business card, Sinclair handed over five of them: One each for his home office and as a representative for Dynamind, ASHA Corp., Zymol Enterprises and Valmet Automotive.

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Part 2: test fitting. Here is the "AWAC" sitting on the factory cross bars. It't possible to mount this flush to the bars but it leaves very little space between the roof and the bottom of the box, so I am going to try the Yakima 39H and see if it will lift it up a little more. The box itself can only hold 110 lbs so this is going to be for skis, fishing and lightweight camping gear. It will allow more room for the dog in the rear, which works for us. (IMG_3269.jpg IMG_3268.jpg IMG_3266.jpg IMG_3265.jpg IMG_3263.jpg I am almost ready to outfit the crew in Steve Zizssou Adidas with this thing on the roof.)

Last edited:
Reactions: ASNOBODY and W4P

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

IMG_3333.JPG IMG_3334.JPG IMG_3329.JPG Final fitting and mounting with Thule retro flat rack posts and hardware. I was kinda doubting the color but now that it has these sweet color matched Overland Bound stickers on it I think it's perfect.

First adventure is to the eclipse. Happy trails.

Reactions: krzyboy2o