Total Eclipse view point in Oregon

• HTML tutorial

OrangeAEVLJ

Rank I

Contributor III

I'm planning on driving down to Oregon from the Seattle area to watch the eclipse. Hoping to find a spot in the woods to camp that is harder to get to in order to avoid the crowds. Anyone have any ideas?

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

What day do you plan on heading out? I think traffic will start to turn apocalyptic Friday...

My goal was to head to somewhere between Prairie City and Baker City (no specific site in mind, lots of Forest Service and BLM land out there), but I've since scrapped my plans. Anyway, I think you'll want to go east as far as you can. The I5 corridor will probably be jam-packed, plus the weather is more likely to be favorable east of the Cascades.

I'm sure you already know this, but make sure you have more supplies than normal, as the small towns in the path will almost certainly run out of water, gas, etc...

OrangeAEVLJ

Rank I

Contributor III

Actually, i forgot for a second that i will be at a Zach Brown Band concert at Columbia River Gorge Saturday night. So i will leave from there Sunday morning. Which should help since can just shoot down I-82 to I-84 and avoid most of the hustle and bustle.

Ill definitely take a look at the Prairie city and Baker city areas. Those arent too far from where I will be.

And actually good point about fuel and water, it will be best to avoid having to stop for those in Oregon, so i will load up on extras of both.

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Actually, i forgot for a second that i will be at a Zach Brown Band concert at Columbia River Gorge Saturday night. So i will leave from there Sunday morning. Which should help since can just shoot down I-82 to I-84 and avoid most of the hustle and bustle.

Ill definitely take a look at the Prairie city and Baker city areas. Those arent too far from where I will be.

And actually good point about fuel and water, it will be best to avoid having to stop for those in Oregon, so i will load up on extras of both.
Have fun! I'm alternating between a feeling a deep relief that I won't have to deal with the mobs and madness and a gnawing sense of regret that I'm missing a once in a lifetime opportunity to see an amazing celestial event.

OrangeAEVLJ

Rank I

Contributor III

Have fun! I'm alternating between a feeling a deep relief that I won't have to deal with the mobs and madness and a gnawing sense of regret that I'm missing a once in a lifetime opportunity to see an amazing celestial event.

Thanks!

haha Im right there with you. I am considering not going to avoid all the people, but Ill hate myself for not making it down there.

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

I'm feeling the same way. I even have a spot, but the main route would be I-5. I actually am thinking of driving up in the middle of the night to avoid traffic. I hate crowds and I know this is going to be insane, especially getting to Oregon. But I know I'll regret it if I don't see it. Well, I think I will. Not sure really. They are saying that two lane roads, forestry roads, etc will be packed in OR. Decisions, decisions.

PNWExplore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bend Oregon
Member #

Good luck! We already have an influx of people to the area already. Both Bend and Redmond were 100% out of regular gas yesterday... Check forest road closures as I know they have been implemented. I have also heard of people already staking claim of others private land because they know that police will not be able to respond.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I have also heard of people already staking claim of others private land because they know that police will not be able to respond.
Ugh. I'm fearing this in ID as well. Your post prompted me to call the Adams Co. Sheriff's Dept., they said they'd be there in a heartbeat as long as we're the property owners, no incidents thus far.
I'm hoping in some regard that the "gun toting Idahoan" will keep idiots from trespassing on fenced and posted lands, but we're bringing fire apparatus and someone's going to end up with wet gear while I wet the fields for fire prevention.

OrangeAEVLJ

Rank I

Contributor III

I'm on the fence about going after all your replies and talking with friends and coworkers as well. Doesn't seem worth the stress anymore. If i do go i think i will try to find a spot in Umatilla National forest east of Dale, Oregon. Im hoping thats far enough off the beaten path.

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I'm on the fence about going after all your replies and talking with friends and coworkers as well. Doesn't seem worth the stress anymore. If i do go i think i will try to find a spot in Umatilla National forest east of Dale, Oregon. Im hoping thats far enough off the beaten path.
If I didn't have an 11 month old daughter to consider, I'd definitely do it, crowds or not. Based on eyewitness accounts I've read/heard, actually seeing the eclipse will make it worth it. In other words, go for it, and report back for those of us who can't go. At the very least, you'll have some good stories that should be funny in hindsight...

Reactions: OrangeAEVLJ

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'm going to be sitting at home watching an 80% eclipse. Besides, another continent-spanning eclipse will happen April 8, 2024, with a a wider path and longer duration of totality. And the center of that path passes within two miles of my house. So I'll be sitting here at home watching that one, too.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

PNWExplore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bend Oregon
Member #

Ugh. I'm fearing this in ID as well. Your post prompted me to call the Adams Co. Sheriff's Dept., they said they'd be there in a heartbeat as long as we're the property owners, no incidents thus far.
I'm hoping in some regard that the "gun toting Idahoan" will keep idiots from trespassing on fenced and posted lands, but we're bringing fire apparatus and someone's going to end up with wet gear while I wet the fields for fire prevention.
The instance I am talking about, the trespassers had guns and the property owner said they had guns, to which the trespassers responded "Your point?"

Things are getting crazy

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

So what's the verdict??? I'm also on the fence but with a totally self-contained rig and extra fuel......hmmmmmm....

OrangeAEVLJ

Rank I

Contributor III

So what's the verdict??? I'm also on the fence but with a totally self-contained rig and extra fuel......hmmmmmm....
I wimped out. Sunday morning i looked at traffic, and it was actually clear all the way down to Dale, Oregon but i was afraid of the traffic on our way back, and all my friends who planned on meeting me in Yakima had already bailed. We were also pretty hung over from the weekend of drinking at the Gorge. So we decided to bail, and I sort of regret it. Would have been cool to experience the full darkness.

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I wimped out. Sunday morning i looked at traffic, and it was actually clear all the way down to Dale, Oregon but i was afraid of the traffic on our way back, and all my friends who planned on meeting me in Yakima had already bailed. We were also pretty hung over from the weekend of drinking at the Gorge. So we decided to bail, and I sort of regret it. Would have been cool to experience the full darkness.
Turns out the traffic apocalypse was mostly non-existent. I'm kicking myself for believing the hype!

Reactions: OrangeAEVLJ