Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

Never been near one, close to some water spouts on the Pacfic diving but nothing like that.

Glad thing are mellowing out!

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

wow! i grew up in west texas and when you see a funnel like that touch down, you know something is getting f-ed up!
The one you see with aircraft in the pic was the biggest. That one destroyed a big portion of McConnell AFB as well as devistated the city of Andover. It also wiped out a housing district that some really good friends of ours were in; their house, and one other, were spared but received a lot of damage. It did take out the garage they had where they stored their vintage Porches. The other one wiped out several junks of of Wichita. The wife and I, as well as a few other people, were directly under it when it was forming. I was off work that day, but it slammed into the business where I worked as a purchasing manager. Luckily it had lost most of its steam by then and just blew out windows, doors and severely damaged the roof. Do you remember the original version of 'The Posiden Adventure' movie from 1972? The sound of water and twisting girders was exactly what it sounded like inside the place right afterwards when I showed up an hour later - spooky as hell.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

The one you see with aircraft in the pic was the biggest. That one destroyed a big portion of McConnell AFB as well as devistated the city of Andover. It also wiped out a housing district that some really good friends of ours were in; their house, and one other, were spared but received a lot of damage. It did take out the garage they had where they stored their vintage Porches. The other one wiped out several junks of of Wichita. The wife and I, as well as a few other people, were directly under it when it was forming. I was off work that day, but it slammed into the business where I worked as a purchasing manager. Luckily it had lost most of its steam by then and just blew out windows, doors and severely damaged the roof. Do you remember the original version of 'The Posiden Adventure' movie from 1972? The sound of water and twisting girders was exactly what it sounded like inside the place right afterwards when I showed up an hour later - spooky as hell.
Incredible! This was probably a F0 today. I was standing in the driveway watching this one form moving straight towards our house. That’s when I ran inside and told the wife to get in the safe room. It passed a couple blocks to the north. I can’t imagine what that would have been like. Now we have hurricane season right around the corner.

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Incredible! This was probably a F0 today. I was standing in the driveway watching this one form moving straight towards our house. That’s when I ran inside and told the wife to get in the safe room. It passed a couple blocks to the north. I can’t imagine what that would have been like. Now we have hurricane season right around the corner.
Are you sure you're not a Kansan? That's how we roll... We had one pass over our town (never touched down but did cause damage); I sat on the porch, in the driving rain, watching it WHILE bidding on eBay!!! As soon as I got the bid, and while a deck chair from the house down the road was heading for me, I ducked into the house and down into the doungon.

As to the hurricanes... you can keep those!!

Reactions: Flipper

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Yeah, hurricanes give you a whole new outlook on life. Been in a couple bad one’s, nothing like standing behind a cinder brick wall and watching the roof blow off your house. The rain bands contain small tornadoes called spinners.
We were lucky yesterday, it went a little bit north of us, missed the heavy populated area and cut 11.5 miles thru the backcountry to the coast.

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Yeah, hurricanes give you a whole new outlook on life. Been in a couple bad one’s, nothing like standing behind a cinder brick wall and watching the roof blow off your house. The rain bands contain small tornadoes called spinners.
We were lucky yesterday, it went a little bit north of us, missed the heavy populated area and cut 11.5 miles thru the backcountry to the coast.
And THAT'S why you can keep them!! They are sustained whereas a tornado doesn't last all that long in one area.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

And THAT'S why you can keep them!! They are sustained whereas a tornado doesn't last all that long in one area.
An 8 hr. Tornado in slo-motion. The ones I really don’t like are at night. This emergency gave me plenty of time to go through our hurricane supplies and fine tune all plans. They are forecasting a bad season. It would be horrible if one hit with the virus. We can’t evacuate.... where are a couple hundred thousand people going to go? Pack into an Em. Shelter?We are keeping our fingers crossed but being prepped.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
An 8 hr. Tornado in slo-motion. The ones I really don’t like are at night. This emergency gave me plenty of time to go through our hurricane supplies and fine tune all plans. They are forecasting a bad season. It would be horrible if one hit with the virus. We can’t evacuate.... where are a couple hundred thousand people going to go? Pack into an Em. Shelter?We are keeping our fingers crossed but being prepped.
i moved to louisiana as a commercial diver months before Andrew hit. my first hurricane and it wrecked the offshore oil field...we were diving out there like crazy for over a year making repairs. andrew tore florida a new one...hope we never see one like that again