• Warn M8000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warn 8274

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

billyballer

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I picked up a used Warn M8000 winch about two months ago for $250, and had a good friend go through it and restore it to like new condition. Was planning to mount it on my CJ7, picked up the mounts and everything, then last week I spotted Craigslist gold, a Warn 8247. The 8247 was advertised as a "Warren Wench", and I got it at a really good price as well.
So here is my dilemma. I'm not a hardcore wheeler. I just like to hit the trail on occasion and stick mostly to easy to moderate type trails. I really feel like the M8000 is perfectly up to the task for how I use my rig. But the 8274 is faster, cooler looking, and has a vintage vibe that fits my old jeep better. It will require a different mount and is a lot heavier than the M8000.
Also worth considering is the 8274 would also sell for a lot more if I were to flip it, and could put that cash into other 4x4 goodies.
Both of these winches have good reps, but obviously the 8274 is near legendary.
So which do I keep and which do I sell?

BillWarn M8000.JPG Warn 8274.JPG

Reactions: Dustin S. Godtfring

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I picked up a used Warn M8000 winch about two months ago for $250, and had a good friend go through it and restore it to like new condition. Was planning to mount it on my CJ7, picked up the mounts and everything, then last week I spotted Craigslist gold, a Warn 8247. The 8247 was advertised as a "Warren Wench", and I got it at a really good price as well.
So here is my dilemma. I'm not a hardcore wheeler. I just like to hit the trail on occasion and stick mostly to easy to moderate type trails. I really feel like the M8000 is perfectly up to the task for how I use my rig. But the 8274 is faster, cooler looking, and has a vintage vibe that fits my old jeep better. It will require a different mount and is a lot heavier than the M8000.
Also worth considering is the 8274 would also sell for a lot more if I were to flip it, and could put that cash into other 4x4 goodies.

BillView attachment 32726 View attachment 32727
My brother has one of those on his flat fender, and it's super cool, his is an all vintage banged up ranch cruiser and doesn't get really wheeled, it just looks cool. Is your jeep mostly for show or for go? If it leans towards show then the answer is obvious. If it's mostly for wheeling then the m8000 is a great winch and I'd flip the 8274 and buy some more wheeling crap for your rig. IMO The cj7 isn't vintage enough to show yet and it probably needs to be wheeled for another decade first!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: billyballer

billyballer

Rank I

Enthusiast I

My brother has one of those on his flat fender, and it's super cool, his is an all vintage banged up ranch cruiser and doesn't get really wheeled, it just looks cool. Is your jeep mostly for show or for go? If it leans towards show then the answer is obvious. If it's mostly for wheeling then the m8000 is a great winch and I'd flip the 8274 and buy some more wheeling crap for your rig. IMO The cj7 isn't vintage enough to show yet and it probably needs to be wheeled for another decade first!
Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Definitely not just for show, although it does get a lot of street miles just because I enjoy driving it. But everything I own is at least a little beat up. I do like that the 8274 was a factory jeep option but I'm more focused on function. I will say that having either of these winches mounted will increase the amount of wheeling I do just from the extra piece of mind.

I've heard it's harder to overheat the 8274 as well?

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I've ran both on my wrangler, I went with the 8274 for the additional cable, almost twice as much. I've been in a position where the winch cable was 20' to short, I got around the problem with a snatch strap. Have you figured out the date code? It would add to the value of your CJ. Ron

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

BillView attachment 32726 View attachment 32727
Can't beat the 8274!

Sent from my VS985 4G using OB Talk mobile app

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

You already put money into the M8000 getting it cleaned up and rebuilt. Low profile winches block much less of the radiator.... and the radiator on old CJs wasnt that big to begin with. If you dont need the speed or cable capacity of the 8274, just stick with the M8000(its already rebuilt) and flip the 8274.

billyballer

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I've ran both on my wrangler, I went with the 8274 for the additional cable, almost twice as much. I've been in a position where the winch cable was 20' to short, I got around the problem with a snatch strap. Have you figured out the date code? It would add to the value of your CJ. Ron
October 1981 my CJ is an 86 (final year) but damn close match.
Good point about cable length.
My CJ radiator is pretty darn big aluminum 3 core. Has problems staying up to temp usually but air flow could be a factor.
And my buddy restored the m8000 just for cost of parts which wasn't much. 8274 would get similar treatment.
Good problems to have I suppose.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Run the M8000 and get the rebuild on the 8274 done, then decide which one you want to run. Either way, I'd hold on to both of them.

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I paid $150 for my 8274 with a heavy a## chevy truck bumper, Now I have $400 in it after the rebuild, including new cable. I'm sure both winches will serve you well. For the classic look, the 8274. The m8000 will perform when needed. Either way, you can carry them around for years, and not need a winch. But the day you need one, for you or to help someone else, nothing will be better. Ron

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Simple the 8274 on the front and the m8000 in the rear for those backwards winching situations.

I went the dual m8000 route, one under the front and one mid mounted for rear winching and to pull things up onto the bed.

One can never have to many options to pull yourself or others out of a jam.

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
FWIW: I have had two 8274s, one on my 67 Willys CJ6 and the other on my 79 Chevy K30. It worked great for both and performed up to their reputation.
I have had no experience with the M8000.

Sent from my LGLS991 using OB Talk mobile app

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

The 8274 is a far superior winch. But only you can decide which to keep.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

True the 8274 is the mac daddy of winches with 150 ft of cable and fast line speeds. Its only drawback is space it takes up vs a smaller form factor M8000. That is the main reason my Warn Bellview (power in only version of 8274) is sitting on the bench still and the M8000's are on the truck. :sunglasses: