Majorbacon8r

Rank 0

Traveler I

MN
First Name
Hunter
Last Name
Bacon
Hey everyone, I’m thinking of what kind of a setup I’d like to do for my truck & wondering what are your guys experiences with toppers and tonneau covers, racks/storage.

The woman hates the look of a topper but if it’s the best option I will do it because so far that’s what looks best.

I haul a box of all my mechanics and roadside tools at all times, recovery gear & my work (detailer) things ; two 5 gal buckets, a 6.5hp rigid vacuum, and some extension cords.

Just me & the woman 90% of the time. We don’t do as much overlanding or camping as I’d like to do, but I’m trying to get out there more and really want to get serious as I can as a college student.

I’m also curious if I would be able to run a (CVT?) rack AND a rolling tonneau cover simultaneously, so I can keep my items safe while still having 100% functionality. This would be my preferred choice if possible.

It is important to me to keep my items locked up and safe because I do not park in a garage and I don’t have a lot of money for replacements.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

More Tha likely you will have to have a custom rack setup made to work with a roll cover. The problem is that the roll cover frame overlaps on the bed cap and most racks have an angle piece on the inside of the bed cap. I have seen a few custom racks that get bolted to the top of the bed cap that would work with a roll cover.

I'm actually this king of going this route myself... Still looking for the right combo.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I’m also curious if I would be able to run a (CVT?) rack AND a rolling tonneau cover simultaneously, so I can keep my items safe while still having 100% functionality. This would be my preferred choice if possible.
I have a hard rolling cover and rack supports on my trailer, which is pickup truck sized. I did have a hard folding cover, but much prefer this rolling cover. I can load it up too, when it's closed, with any kind of gear I want, from my canoe to full load.

The rack supports are aided by four 75# gas-assisted struts, which gives me 300# of lifting power. The rack is lowered for travel for aerodynamics and lower center of gravity, and raised when in camp to allow greater access to the cargo area and to keep the RTT a bit higher. Some RTT's have ground annexes and the raised height works better.

With the Rhino-rack, Roofnest RTT, and big Bundutec 360 awning, it's a breeze to raise and lower, as it just about equals out at 300#. I wouldn't go for powered lifts, as it's just another thing to potentially go wrong when you're out in the willowacks. Then it'll be stuck either up or down. I absolutely LOVE this setup and wouldn't hesitate to put it on a pickup, if I had one.

Empty trailer, hard rolling Titanium tonneau cover rolled back:
xv-2-cargo_IMG_2216.JPG

Loaded up and rolling:
roaddude 2018-08-15 at 19.35.34.png

Moving short distance, loaded:
coverloaded_roaddude_6062-900.jpg

Packed for rolling long distance and Interstates:
XV-2-loaded-900.jpg

Base camping with rack raised, tent up, awning out:
basecamp__9312-900.jpg

Last edited:

Majorbacon8r

Rank 0

Traveler I

MN
First Name
Hunter
Last Name
Bacon
Definitely interested in the rack & tonneau cover design! That looks awesome! I think the woman would appreciate that more than a topper.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I am digging that trailer setup.
Definitely interested in the rack & tonneau cover design! That looks awesome! I think the woman would appreciate that more than a topper.
Thanks, guys. Took a good while to research and configure components to get it just the way I want, and it's turned out to be exactly what I wanted and expected. Very quick, easy, and efficient to set up, use, and then pack away, whether just for one night or extended stay.

I didn't think I wanted a raised rack, at first, then saw the wisdom of it for the style of travel I like to do most. I can empty my trailer and use it for other stuff, like helping someone build an off-grid home and hauling building materials, and still have easy to use sleeping quarters and hot water and a power center in place.

Here's a recent time-lapse vid that shows how efficient and easy a trailer with cover and rack can be.

The clock shows 18 mins from start to finish, and though the time lapse makes it appear as if I'm double-timing it, I'm not. I even set up my solar and raked the whole area out front in that 18 mins. I can set up the basics of rack up, canoe off, tent up, and awning out in only six minutes if all I want to do is be out of the sun or rain and then sleep. If I'm staying longer and want the whole shebang of counter, sink and faucet, solar, firewood bench, table and chairs, etc, it takes anywhere from 18-30 mins, depending on how well I packed up last.

I usually stay out for a month or a few months at a time, and every time I go out I tweak my packing and set up a little differently. It's great fun, really, to use and be out there in big weather and know I have everything I need to be dry, warm, and safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Majorbacon8r

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
My Tacoma is my DD, and my rig. So I set it up to easily convert between the two. It takes 4 bolts and my rack and tent come off and on together. I love my Diamondback cover, someone would be hard pressed to break into it, it keeps 99% of water and dust out, and if I have a big load either I flip back just one panel, or take it off completely (in 5 mins), or load the item on top of the cover as my SE holds 500lbs. I bought KB Voodoo’s AluMax Rack which is insanely awesome and they make tonneau brackets to go around the cover and attach to the bed rails. Fits any truck, holds like 700 lbs, weighs 55lbs, and won’t rust as it’s aluminum. I added the cargo tray and was up in the Sierras last weekend at the OB Rally.

I love that it’s modular and it fits almost whatever you want to it. I have my Rotopax, hi-lift inside, Planos on the tray, and bike racks mounted. I have spare room now under the cover where my pull out drawer is, is it wrong to love your rig this much?
28B20390-D1D8-4AA1-8F76-503660F1F252.jpeg 67D934EA-2A7E-4807-9C48-2AB695F4D5B7.jpeg 6477DDD5-7DD6-4B73-AD5E-8781C5070BC1.jpeg 33C7ECD3-C89C-46C5-851E-1FFE4DCD597D.jpeg 8C464870-A60F-43B6-B165-898D19190871.jpeg 0F4248DA-A291-4673-A869-E5812260BE2A.jpeg FAB083C7-CB5C-42EE-A3BE-04D616642907.jpeg 30D45E8A-B4A7-4D7A-8D1D-9419DC4F42B4.jpeg

Last edited:

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

My Tacoma is my DD, and my rig. So I set it up to easily convert between the two. It takes 4 bolts and my rack and tent come off and on together. I love my Diamondback cover, someone would be hard pressed to break into it, it keeps 99% of water and dust out, and if I have a big load either I flip back just one panel, or take it off completely (in 5 mins), or load the item on top of the cover as my SE holds 500lbs. I bought KB Voodoo’s AluMax Rack which is insanely awesome and they make tonneau brackets to go around the cover and attach to the bed rails. Fits any truck, holds like 700 lbs, weighs 55lbs, and won’t rust as it’s aluminum. I added the cargo tray and was up in the Sierras last weekend at the OB Rally.

I love that it’s modular and it fits almost whatever you want to it. I have my Rotopax, hi-lift inside, Planos on the tray, and bike racks mounted. I have spare room now under the cover where my pull out drawer is, is it wrong to love your rig this much?
View attachment 72077 View attachment 72078 View attachment 72079 View attachment 72080 View attachment 72081 View attachment 72082 View attachment 72083 View attachment 72084
Love this set up....

Reactions: PapaDave

Majorbacon8r

Rank 0

Traveler I

MN
First Name
Hunter
Last Name
Bacon
Hey all, I had a few things come up financially so I went with the $189 Americantrucks.com rolling, locking tonneau cover! Doesn’t hold the taller items I carry daily, but definitely is helping me save some room in the cab! Can put all my bins and smaller items back there without worry of getting wet.
Looks like I’m gonna go for the tonneau cover/rack system!

IMG_0790.JPG

Reactions: Dirty Ape

Majorbacon8r

Rank 0

Traveler I

MN
First Name
Hunter
Last Name
Bacon
Now that I’ve got my tonneau cover, I’m thinking what’s next? Well I’ll tell you what’s next; a rack system! I’m wondering if you think the tagged one is a good option?
IMG_0837.JPGIMG_0838.JPG
I have a 2011 f150 suicide door 6.5’ bed & I’m planning on strengthening it (already has 800lb capacity but I want it for safety too)

Red Stick

Rank 0

Contributor I

B693C0CE-A505-4172-B502-3ED39C7C2D66.jpeg If I didn’t have two kids and two big dogs I might prefer a raised rack or a bedcover with rack.

I had an undercover brand on a Tacoma years ago,I didn’t need a rack then, and really liked it.

On my current GMC I have an ARE topper with a bed rug in it and love it. If It was still just me and the wife I would forgo the RTT I’m planning on and sleep in the topper.