Launch Member

Advocate III

penticton
First Name
Jason
Last Name
S
Member #

Hi everyone, being a new member and in the early stages of a rig build I'm looking for a few key points on the must haves in a overland rig for gear, I know first aid and fire extinguisher and a good tool set but looking to get an idea of a few other key items,

I already have
VHF
ARB tire repair kit
First aid kit
fire extinguisher
3.5" lift
CB radio
XRC front and back bumpers

Looking to get
S-pod with more lighting
ARB fridge
Gobi rack
High Lift
ARB air compressor

what every suggestions are appreciated as to use all the great advise and experience,

Reactions: Atlastrekker

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Tow straps... To pull your friends out
A shovel... To dig your friends out
An axe
Your list is a good start
I'm kinda a fan of two of the most common wrenches..... 1/2" 12mm etc

Sent from my Nexus 5X using OB Talk mobile app
I like how its for "your friends"
what type of camping are you going for? don't forget to account for the site gear, tents, cooking, and sleeping. Good storage options make things easy.

Reactions: Bluefox

Bluefox

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chino Hills
Member #

Only the best kind of camping....
Almost all the trips I've been on..... There had always been that one guy who finds a way to get horribly stuck. And was ill prepared.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using OB Talk mobile app

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

There is a lot out there. Lots of necessities and even more "nice to haves". Its always good to periodically remind yourself of your basic needs (food, water, shelter) and consider all items with the question of how it contributes to your basic needs. I tend to throw in so many "nice to haves" that I lose space for (or forget altogether) some basic necessity stuff.
In overland type excursions, I would categorize things that keep your vehicle going as basic necessities also.
This is not a minimalist rant, just a reminder to PERIODICALLY reevaluate your cargo :)
Also, this is advice from a total "over landing" amateur.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using OB Talk mobile app

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

I love having a chainsaw on the trail ever since I took one out. I keep a full air up and down kit with patches and plugs. And a full recovery kit for the winch and pull bars. But brush clear g can be a pain. Cash is nice but not something I think about since both mine and my wife's vehicles have between $100-200 cash for emergency use anyways.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

These lists are a great place to start but they do not fit everyone and every situation. First, what type of Overlanding at you looking at doing? If you are starting off with a style that keeps you mainly on asphalt and gravel, you will need far less stuff than if you take on something like the Rubicon Trail. What kind of rig, do you have a large vehicle with lots of storage or are you using a little bitty thing like a TJ? Storage space is like gold. How many people are going? There may not be space for a chainsaw once all the hair care produces are loaded. And lastly, how long do you plan your trips to be. Weekend or week long trips are pretty easy but longer trips take much more preplanning.

To me, the best way to start out is find some where close to home to do a weekend overnight. This will help you figure out what you will need as far as shelter, food, water, clothing, and sleeping gear. Work your way up from there. There is nothing wrong with doing some asphalt and NFS campground trips to work out the bugs and figure out what works best for you. Once you think you "got it", step up your game.

P.S. Its all about exploring, nothing says you have to have a fully outfitted rig to explore. Explore within your limitations until you get where you need to be to do what you want to do.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I think it requires a separate thread, and maybe only applies to folks who daily drive their "overland" rigs, but I'm curious what everyone's "every day carry" looks like (not referring to guns here). Obviously, the gear you haul for a long overland trip is much different than what you keep in the rig at all times, but I find that I still carry a lot of stuff in my Xterra regardless. I've been meaning to perform a full inventory; when I do that, I'll start a new thread (unless it already exists)...

Reactions: Scubadaddy

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I know I need another long tow strap added to my kit. I keep a few basic recovery straps, shackles, and stuff under the back seat all the time. I also have a recovery box with tools, and more recovery gear, wood blocks, gloves, tire plug kit and such that always goes out if we are on an adventure. I also always keep an extra MFC fuel can on board all winter, it never leaves the roof rack. We head out on day trips up into the snow during the winter and I feel better knowing i have extra fuel on board in the event we break down, or get stuck and need to keep warm in the X for awhile. I always try to keep a gallon of fresh water on board at all times, and (especially in the winter) always keep a spare winter washer fluid on board. There is always an axe, a machete, a few knives, and a million flashlights on board at any given time. If we are adventuring or camping or anything the list gets longer , but that covers a few items anyways.

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I always carry an air pump, recovery strap, D shackles, tire deflate tool, and tire repair kit every day I drive it. The off road kit complements and supports this list when I am specifically going off-road.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

So I have something a bit different that's always in my car. I keep a pistol case, push button type, it is cable locked to a secure point inside the vechile out of sight. Here is why. I often go hiking or mountain biking and will gone for hours. Some trail heads are lightly used and thiefs know you will be gone for hours. I lock everything up in it of value. Next when camping, traveling to remote areas, AKA Overlanding, I always have a firearm. Often I will leave camp to go hiking or biking or ???, and I want it safe, and out of harms way.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I decent jack to lift your vehicle, I carry a small floor jack and a couple of pieces of 3/4 inch plywood that fit under the jack perfectly to keep it from sinking into the ground or raise it up a couple of inches. Only takes the space of a small toolbox. Also I would add a can of tire seal in addition to a plug kit.

Peter Lu

Rank II

Contributor III

San Jose, CA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Lu
Member #

I love having a chainsaw on the trail ever since I took one out. I keep a full air up and down kit with patches and plugs. And a full recovery kit for the winch and pull bars. But brush clear g can be a pain. Cash is nice but not something I think about since both mine and my wife's vehicles have between $100-200 cash for emergency use anyways.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app
$90 on a chainsaw was the best buy I made on my first trip in Oregon. Got stuck on some trails with fallen trees. Cut my way out.