Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Just saw this article, shows a couple of pretty cool tools for making the task of making firewood a lot easier! I already have the Maul but think I'll be adding the LogOx and the Kindling Cracker to my camping tool kit!

Last edited:
Reactions: Outdoordog

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I bring a heavy knife and baton the wood, once I get some 1" x 1" size, I use my pocket knife to feather as much as I can.

I make as much shavings, and as thin as possible, then use a strike rod to ignite the shavings that i collected in a pile on top of the thin wood.

I bring a bernzomatic map gas torch, which can light entire logs on fire in less than 5 minutes, but I like doing it this way.

It's a beast of a knife, easy to baton wood.
20190310_184623.jpg

What I use to feather the thinner pieces.
20191208_131236.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I need to pick up a heavy knife for my kit, just got figure out what is a good quality one that won't break the bank!

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I bring a heavy knife and baton the wood, once I get some 1" x 1" size, I use my pocket knife to feather as much as I can.

I make as much shavings, and as thin as possible, then use a strike rod to ignite the shavings that i collected in a pile on top of the thin wood.

I bring a bernzomatic map gas torch, which can light entire logs on fire in less than 5 minutes, but I like doing it this way.

It's a beast of a knife, easy to baton wood.
View attachment 135384

What I use to feather the thinner pieces.
View attachment 135386
Now that's a knife!

Reactions: Outdoordog

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I picked up the Kindling Cracker a couple years ago for use around the home fire pit. The thing works like a champ on most bundles you buy but I did not have much success using it on some oak that I came across. Otherwise the thing makes short work out of your wood and increases the safety factor quite a bit.

Reactions: Viking1204

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Hands down easiest way to get firewood, especially firewood thats dry and will ignite is to stop in a brookshires, kroger or even walmart and pick up a bundle of firewood already cut. Its no fun getting to a campsite and every bit of wood in the area is soggy and wont light even after being dried in a diesel tailpipe during a regeneration at 2000 degrees.

Reactions: TexasGMG

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I have the Kindling Cracker now and it makes splitting wood a lot easier and safer than using an axe, it's a lot faster too! I picked up some Oak from a new neighborhood going in where they clear cut all the trees including the Oaks and it splits that good too, knots in the wood are the only thing that can be tough.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Processing wood, like any material, is easier with the proper tools. But when one goes mobile the question becomes how much steel can you carry while staying within weight limits. After all I would love to have my full tool shed with me all the time but that isn't realistic. So my general idea is that for wood processing I want a large silky saw and a large fixed blade knife. But if I can take the weight add a chain saw and maul.

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
I have a single bit axe with a 32" handle, a Fiskars hatchet, a pruning saw, and a machete in the truck all of the time. I'll sometimes carry a 16" chain saw, but that depends where we're going. And just like Boostpowered mentioned, I'll also bring a bundle of wood from home because some places there just isn't any wood around.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
The Kindling Cracker is a great item to split bulk firewood at home, speeds up the process tremendously unless you have a powered splitter. I have a Chainsaw, Hatchet and Axe in my truck at all times locked under the Diamondback cover for times I need to get wood after being at camp. I need to get a splitting wedge and throw in there too. I always try to bring some dried firewood with me. I also have my new to me Kershaw Camp 10 Knife/Machete that will be put in the truck on my next camping trip coming up next weekend!

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Great info!

Here's one from me:
I use these bags to carry firewood in my roof basket. They are really heavyduty, they will carry about 1.5 bundles of grocery store wood and when they are empty, they make great bags to carry my trash outside the rig.

Last edited:

TomInOregon

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Moss
Service Branch
USMC
I always take a 12" electric chainsaw, a 3.5 lb 32" handle splitting axe, a 2lb. 28" handle chopping axe and a tree round to split wood on. I also take dry firewood with me just in case and an oiled canvas tarp to cover the wood pile up, but usually end up taking the wood back home except for the rare occasion that it's raining or there is no usable wood around. I use the axes as much as possible, since I find splitting wood to be relaxing and it reminds me of my youth.

CMac

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, VA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
McIntyre
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UNO
Service Branch
USN
I need to pick up a heavy knife for my kit, just got figure out what is a good quality one that won't break the bank!
If you want a serious, hard-use knife that'll baton wood all day and whack up roasted chickens at night and have a great edge the next morning....get an ESEE-5.