Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

I’m working on putting together some tools and supplies to keep in my truck. I don’t plan on doing heavy off-road driving, just fire and service roads where I can. The truck will also double as my daily driver which will be commuting some distance at times. My furthest customer right now is an 8 hour drive from my home.

My question, what are the light duty must have tools?

So far:
-Recovery Strap
-Tire Repair Kit
-SAE & Metric Socket Sets
-Electric & Duct Tape
-Hammer
-Pliers
-Vise Grips
-Allen Wrenches
-SAE & Metric Box End Wrenches
-Jumper Cables

Any other things I should need?

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reactions: rking.1688

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

I personally carry a power probe Power Probe III Clamshell - Red (PP3CSRED) [Car Automotive Diagnostic Test Tool, Digital Volt Meter, AC/DC Current Resistance, Circuit Tester] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G4YUWMC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gvkVCb188C13Q with me to help diagnose electrical problems. These are a bit overkill but I would say to carry at least a test light to help diagnose. Those can be had for around 10 bucks at any auto parts store or Amazon.
Didn’t think about the more detailed electrical side. Might be worth getting a small box of fuses too. Thanks!

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Just an opinion here - take the tools YOU need, not what everyone else might need. Specifically I'm thinking your list includes both SAE and Metric... go with the design/manufacture of your rig and cut that weight, space, and "management of stuff" out of your chores.

Reactions: rking.1688

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Depending on your vehicle, the standard wrenches and sockets are not needed.
I carry a tool box and a support bag.

Fuses
hose clamps
small piece of sand paper
razor blade
heat shrink splices
torx bits & driver
small assortment of bolts, nuts
rtv
regular test light

I have more parts and tools specific to my vehicle, Ron

Reactions: Desert Runner

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Didn’t think about the more detailed electrical side. Might be worth getting a small box of fuses too. Thanks!
Yeah for use we carry that power probe, fuses for truck and trailer, extra wire, crimp connectors, heat shrink, butane soldering iron, stripper/crimper and electrical tape. I carry more than I probably should but has come handy a few times for our trailer and others out and about. I feel like having 1 to 2 spare fuses for every one and at least a couple extra relays are not a bad idea. Generally inexpensive and don't take up much space.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Places like horrible freight have tool kits in blow mold cases that have all the sockets, wrenches, pliers and screw drivers you would normally need. They are really cheap and compact, I really didn't want to carry my good snap on tools on the trail.
Different tapes and wire
Tire repair
electrical repair
air compressor
Fire suppression
I would highly recommend the Element Fire extinguisher E50 This unit runs for 60 seconds, and is 100% safe for everything. No maintenance required, forever shelf life. 2.5 lb bottles may be OK for small fires but if you need to save your rig you want overkill.

Reactions: StevenMiller

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I have looked twice and I still don't see zip ties listed. You gotta have either zip ties or baling wire. And no one seems to have baling wire anymore.

Most recent tool I found myself lacking was a magnetic pickup for retrieving a dropped nut. There will always be something you don't have.

Reactions: Road and rking.1688

MedfordChris

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Medford, MA
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1CWU
I recommend that when working on your vehicle doing maintenance or upgrades, try to do the work with your in-vehicle tool kit. That will really point out what you need. If you have to go into your in-house tool box/chest for a tool, you probably need an extra one of those for your vehicle.

Reactions: Road and rking.1688

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

I recommend that when working on your vehicle doing maintenance or upgrades, try to do the work with your in-vehicle tool kit. That will really point out what you need. If you have to go into your in-house tool box/chest for a tool, you probably need an extra one of those for your vehicle.
Great idea!

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have looked twice and I still don't see zip ties listed. You gotta have either zip ties or baling wire. And no one seems to have baling wire anymore.

Most recent tool I found myself lacking was a magnetic pickup for retrieving a dropped nut. There will always be something you don't have.
You bet, a container of assorted zip ties and a roll of "Mechanics wire" new name for bailing wire. JB weld tank repair, a can of "Plug N' Dike" well plug a hole in fuel tanks, gear cases and oil pans...while fluid is running out. Great stuff to have around.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
While tools are nice, parts are better... Check online and find the most likely to fail stuff on your rig. On the early Jeep Cherokee's it is the crankshaft position sensor, or the TPS. I carry a pair of strippers/crimpers with a ton of waterproff butt splice joints and extra wire. I even have a butane powered soldering iron/heat gun. Remember a tube of gasket sealer, a squeeze tube of grease, some WD-40, and a can of carb cleaner. I also have some short lengths of vacuum line, fuel line (can be used for a siphon), and extra radiator hoses.

You may think this is excessive, but I am routinely 50 miles from nowhere.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I dont think that could be labeled excessive! Just smart. Actually looking at a jeep Cherokee this after noon finally gonna replace my ram that was wrecked last fall and sold
It a couple months ago. But been there done that life experiences is a very handy tool to have... tools are awesome but not having a part to fix the problem. I learned that too that if you research you rig and find that weakness its always good to pickup two. running my own semi over the years that was over 15 years old. You tend to find that weak link once and it costs you a pile of money when it was something that if you had it it would of taken you an hour to get back on the road.. same with this.. being miles from no where you should know what your up against! And those repairs are expensive to have someone come to you. Great point to touch on @old_man Also dont think cus your rig is new you arent going to have problems... hoses belts and fuses. But wire splice are huge. The must have in my tool box is mistakes made in the past and lessons learned. And knowing how to repair a tire.. tires problems come in two or threes for me for some reason. Sometimes changing a tire works but that what if theres another

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
I might have overlooked it,but i didn't see any mention of a flashlight/headlamp. Hopefully you won't ever have to do work in the dark, but you never know. I prefer the headlamp, as it leaves both my hands free for working.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I might have overlooked it,but i didn't see any mention of a flashlight/headlamp. Hopefully you won't ever have to do work in the dark, but you never know. I prefer the headlamp, as it leaves both my hands free for working.
Think tinkering happens in normal business hours. Unplanned stuff is always in the dark for me. I am a big headlamp guy. But carry a light on my person most of the time and a head lamp is near by for that sort of thing. I tend to go through them alot so i try to find a cheaper good head lamp but found one thats a black diamond. Like it alot!

Reactions: max.grun

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
Think tinkering happens in normal business hours. Unplanned stuff is always in the dark for me. I am a big headlamp guy. But carry a light on my person most of the time and a head lamp is near by for that sort of thing. I tend to go through them alot so i try to find a cheaper good head lamp but found one thats a black diamond. Like it alot!
I have several around the house. They get used for working on the car mostly. My garage honestly needs better lighting. Though they are used for other things as well (camping, fishing, kid playing commando with his guns, general use type stuff). I like using the cheaper LED options, they work just fine for what i need them for. I think the last ones i bought were out of the Walmart Camping section for about $7.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

Did not see on your list any screw drivers, I keep a large flat tip primarily as a pry bar, as well as a small and medium sized Phillips head incase I have any under the dash electrical issues I have to repair.

MetalMatt1776

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lexington, OK, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Linthicum
Member #

Beside what everyone else listed I always have a couple of u-joints and snap ring pliers. Other items I have used way more than I ever thought I would is a hammer and pry bar. Crunch some sheet metal or mangle your exhaust and they are life savers.

S

SubeeBen

Beside what everyone else listed I always have a couple of u-joints and snap ring pliers. Other items I have used way more than I ever thought I would is a hammer and pry bar. Crunch some sheet metal or mangle your exhaust and they are life savers.
Great suggestions. Love to hear other pieces of gear when you think you have it all covered.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Had an old chevy once that broke a exhaust pipe on a trail once. Was getting so much exhaust in the cab was making me sick. Has some tin flashing in the tool box. Got under it and used two hose clamps and that flashing solved that problem. Couple wraps of flashing clamp it down. Sold it like that. Worked great