Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Utah
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I keep going back and forth on my front suspension in my 1stgen tundra. Original plan was camburg arms and fox 2.5 dsc coilovers. Then I consider just running the basic fox 2.5 coil over with no remote res. And saving myself $1100, but then I feel like I’ll kick my self in the ass down the road for not ponying up the cash for the dsc coilovers. Need some input from y’all, currently I’m back to saving some coin and going the non res route. But like I said I can’t make up my mind it’s like the angel and devil on my shoulder arguing with each other.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

What did you end up settling on? Now while I drive a Ram I decided to limit my choices between; Carli, Icon, or AEV. If I go with Carli to Icon I'll end up with the full kit that includes the upper control arms with the add on Core 4x4 control arms. If go with AEV I'll save at least 1/2 the cash.

Reactions: Make Wai Overland

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Are you in competion or ..... ???
Cuz stock will do absolutely everything.
Tundra is a great product stock....
I think you are looking beyond overlanding cuz other than a bit of lift for a tire size upgrade, most overlanding can be done in a stock Ranger.... or much less.
Keep 'er stock and just get out there. If you run into issues come back and ask how to best get past those issues. But really any mod where you question an extra $1100 is not even worth discussing. Get out there, go overlanding, come back when you can define that issue.

You need to define yer objectives before spending a penny.

Last edited:

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I think you are looking beyond overlanding cuz other than a bit of lift for a tire size upgrade, most overlanding can be done in a stock Ranger.... or much less.
Keep 'er stock and just get out there. If you run into issues come back and ask how to best get past those issues. But really any mod where you question an extra $1100 is not even worth discussing. Get out there, go overlanding, come back when you can define that issue.

I wish I had you in my corner for the last 5 years I would have saved so much $$$.
Jokes aside - Great Advice, it's easy to fall into the hype that we see on YouTube and other venues.

Make Wai Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

San Jacinto, CA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Perez
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Vet

I dig it! I purchased my 2020 Tundra TRD sport crew max in Dec 2019, went up a very common and a little moderate fire access road called Bee Canyon here on So Cal about a week after I bought it. Needless to say I came home with a slightly damaged front skid plate and plenty of pin strips to scare away any road princess . That’s when I realized a simple and within budget lift and taller tires is needed. I decided to go with the Ready Lift 3-2 lift. Now I know a lot of people will bash a lift like that, I raced BITD for 4 years in the stock full class and trust me it’ll be just fine, I really don’t have 2k+ to spend on a basic Icon system, as much as I’d like to it’s just not in the budget. Like you said, the best way to do this is get out, get into some sketchy sh!¥, have fun doing it and then get what you need lol!
BTW taller tires are coming soon, 37s that is!

Have fun and Overland XL!

Attachments

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Remote reservoir is good for hot climates with really long corrugated roads done at some speed, helps with cooling.
If you do not notice a decrease in performance of the shocks after being off road for a couple of hours, than you don't need them. If you do Baja at rally speed.. sure.. A camping trip over the week end in Colorado... not so much.. :)

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
Coilovers certainly aren't needed, but when set up right they can make a vast improvement in the ride quality of your truck no matter the terrain, including day-to-day street and highway. And for me, that makes them worth the expense.