SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Anyone have any preferences or ideas for tonneau cover racks?
Our GMC Sierra as an ARE hard tonneau cover over the bed and we're (ok, I'm) looking at rack options for crap we don't want in the bed or on the bedslide, like recovery gear, trashbag, mountain bike/box or two etc... I've looked at the Yakima rail/bar type setups and those look like they'd work OK with a basket or something but I think something like a low profile baja rack style of rack on the cover might work out better for our needs which involve more lashing

I dunno. I'd love to ditch the bed cover and do a low-profile bed rack but that isn't an option for reasons not of my own.
Anyways, I'm curious to see what others have done.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Thanks! That looks pretty close to what I'm looking for!

Keitha37

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Diego
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Achman
I have a Thule TracRac and there are several options for a tonneau cover with this. For your application I would check out front runner , they make a nice low pro rack in a bunch of sizes. Good luck

Reactions: rho

Meats25

Rank 0

Contributor I

kansas
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Meats
My thought is that if you are putting a racks on top of a tonneau cove. It need a decent amount of space under the rack for added storage areas

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
My thought is that if you are putting a racks on top of a tonneau cove. It need a decent amount of space under the rack for added storage areas
That was an possibility for bit, but the bed storage is pretty well laid out already and a flat rack type system would work better for our needs. Its bonus storage no matter what.

Sstromerson

Rank I

Contributor III

WA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Stromerson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CVA
I'm not sure what type of tonneau cover you have (rolling, folding, or single piece) but you could most likely do a permanent/custom install of a track system on the bed rails or on top of the single piece tonneau. This would give you the lowest profile crossbars and most versatility/adjustability of where to locate the towers/crossbars.
Another option could be Thule artificial raingutter or yakima toploader bracket. These would allow you to mount the rain gutter towers (Thule 300 or Yakima 1A) to the top of the bed rails or tonneau. These would not give you as low of a crossbar as the track system and they would be fixed where you installed the bracket.
Both of these options would allow you to remove the towers/crossbars pretty easily when not needed.