RustyGoldz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Magna, Utah
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Walters
I have an idea on making a custom dual purpose tonneau cover. I run a full size truck with a standard size bed but with a tool box. I use the tool box for tools and some gear but would like to run a tonneau cover to help with security on things in the bed.

Do any of you here have recommendations on covers that are hard, IE metal, before I embark on building a whole set up of sorts?

Thank in advanced
Rusty

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I have been through several permutations of my truck bed configuration - from soft tonneau to diamond deck toolbox to full on Leer 180 cap with rack.

I remember thinking just what you were thinking and I actually googled it a couple years ago:

Screenshot_20210801-074149_Amazon Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20210801-074201_Amazon Shopping.jpg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

While the thought of spending $950 on a hard tonneau cover that would fit in over the bed while the toolbox was in it sounds cost averse, just remember that a new color-matched Leer cap/camper shell can be anywhere between $1500 and $3500.

It was rare to see an Extang Solid Fold tonneau sized for a toolbox on Craigslist. I found my used truck cap for $300 and went with that instead. Glad I did. We camped out of it off and on the whole trip out west

Reactions: RustyGoldz

RustyGoldz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Magna, Utah
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Walters
While the thought of spending $950 on a hard tonneau cover that would fit in over the bed while the toolbox was in it sounds cost averse, just remember that a new color-matched Leer cap/camper shell can be anywhere between $1500 and $3500.

It was rare to see an Extang Solid Fold tonneau sized for a toolbox on Craigslist. I found my used truck cap for $300 and went with that instead. Glad I did. We camped out of it off and on the whole trip out west
That does seem to be a pretty penny, for me at least. I am intrigued by the design and lay out. I appreciate the input. Might research this one a big more.