Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Well, one of OB's core principles is that it doesn't matter what you drive, it matters that you get out and adventure. As far as what rig you drive, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any off road community on the interwebs more accepting of different rigs than here.

Cheers and enjoy the adventures! :D
Couldn’t agree more, very well put!

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

This thread right here is what makes Overland Bound stand out from the rest of the forums. We are an awesome community that likes to encourage, support and help any member no matter what they drive. Loved reading through this and seeing all of you communicate. You guys are all AMAZING!!!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Well, one of OB's core principles is that it doesn't matter what you drive, it matters that you get out and adventure. As far as what rig you drive, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any off road community on the interwebs more accepting of different rigs than here.

Cheers and enjoy the adventures! :D
Maybe I missed something in this conversation but I haven't read any comments posted that belittled or demonized anyone for their choice of rig's. (plenty of negative thoughts about vehicles brands , or type, but that's not being critical of the person) What I have seen here is a very good discussion on the quality of the OB members rigs and why they drive what they do. Each member has found reason to drive what they do based on their needs and usage. They are expressing that choice in a very civil discussion (IMO) ! There is one member who has been very vocal and I have appreciated that because he has expressed his opinion based on his experience which is extensive and related to this conversation. He is harsh but he is accurate. That does not offend me.

What I have seen are members expressing their opinions, which is healthy and constructive. Some time people read something into what they think someone said and on many occasions I know I have been misunderstood and then criticized. In one instance the administrator jumping into the conversation calling me negative names (not imagined). I don't think what he did was right and I reported the incident (too no avail I might add). What is fact is that I did not say anything in my comments on that thread that were improper, yet still asked to remove myself from the thread. I could see (it was obvious) that the people there just didn't get it, so I pulled out reluctantly. The second fact is that I failed to get my point across to that thread which was my failure , my regret, not theirs.

In essence I think this thread should continue as it has. There is very positive info being relayed here for those that have not made the decision on what rig they want for their adventure. I was frightened by one member who was thinking about using a 2 wheel drive versus 4 wheel drive on back country roads. If that is what he wants to do, that is up to him. I advised him of the hazards he may entail that would prevent him from participation from some events based on road conditions. I believe as OB members we need to express our opinions on this type issue because if the member ends up stuck in knee deep mud, no 4 heel drive, no winch, no towing hooks, he is indeed in serious trouble.
To make things worse he forces members who are present to get him out of the jamb he put himself into. I think the boy scout motto is certainly true in that case "Be Prepared". Saying that, it is OB members obligation to tell others about the hazards they face out in the boondocks. Thank you, I appreciate this thread and this subject and the opportunity to put in my two Bits.

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

Maybe I missed something in this conversation but I haven't read any comments posted that belittled or demonized anyone for their choice of rig's. (plenty of negative thoughts about vehicles brands , or type, but that's not being critical of the person) What I have seen here is a very good discussion on the quality of the OB members rigs and why they drive what they do. Each member has found reason to drive what they do based on their needs and usage. They are expressing that choice in a very civil discussion (IMO) ! There is one member who has been very vocal and I have appreciated that because he has expressed his opinion based on his experience which is extensive and related to this conversation. He is harsh but he is accurate. That does not offend me.

What I have seen are members expressing their opinions, which is healthy and constructive. Some time people read something into what they think someone said and on many occasions I know I have been misunderstood and then criticized. In one instance the administrator jumping into the conversation calling me negative names (not imagined). I don't think what he did was right and I reported the incident (too no avail I might add). What is fact is that I did not say anything in my comments on that thread that were improper, yet still asked to remove myself from the thread. I could see (it was obvious) that the people there just didn't get it, so I pulled out reluctantly. The second fact is that I failed to get my point across to that thread which was my failure , my regret, not theirs.

In essence I think this thread should continue as it has. There is very positive info being relayed here for those that have not made the decision on what rig they want for their adventure. I was frightened by one member who was thinking about using a 2 wheel drive versus 4 wheel drive on back country roads. If that is what he wants to do, that is up to him. I advised him of the hazards he may entail that would prevent him from participation from some events based on road conditions. I believe as OB members we need to express our opinions on this type issue because if the member ends up stuck in knee deep mud, no 4 heel drive, no winch, no towing hooks, he is indeed in serious trouble.
To make things worse he forces members who are present to get him out of the jamb he put himself into. I think the boy scout motto is certainly true in that case "Be Prepared". Saying that, it is OB members obligation to tell others about the hazards they face out in the boondocks. Thank you, I appreciate this thread and this subject and the opportunity to put in my two Bits.
I think you might have misunderstood. What they are saying is that "Other Forums" are not as accepting as our Overland Bound Forum. We have a great forum where members all help each other out. That what I love about this thread. :0)

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I think you might have misunderstood. What they are saying is that "Other Forums" are not as accepting as our Overland Bound Forum. We have a great forum where members all help each other out. That what I love about this thread. :0)
I didn't misunderstand Cendee, the title to this thread is Tolerance, which means someone thinks there is some intolerance on someone's part somewhere ! I'm in agreeance with your opinion about OB, It's the best, period ! I just want everyone reading this entire thread that there is valuable content in this conversation which started in another thread titled "Your Rig" or somehting similar, and that it is valuable because people do have different opinions and choices and they should always be heard and discussed with tolerance. You and I are not in disagreement.
"Other Forums" have not been in discussion here, but since you brought it up, you are totally correct. Other forums can also include Threads on this forum, and I have found some who are not tolerant of "MY" opinions or "OTHERS" opinions. I'm trying to convey the message to the newbies to OB that not only is their Rig welcome on OB, their thoughts and opinions are a valuable part of this "Outfit", OB. We are Cool

Reactions: Cendee

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

I didn't misunderstand Cendee, the title to this thread is Tolerance, which means someone thinks there is some intolerance on someone's part somewhere ! I'm in agreeance with your opinion about OB, It's the best, period ! I just want everyone reading this entire thread that there is valuable content in this conversation which started in another thread titled "Your Rig" or somehting similar, and that it is valuable because people do have different opinions and choices and they should always be heard and discussed with tolerance. You and I are not in disagreement.
"Other Forums" have not been in discussion here, but since you brought it up, you are totally correct. Other forums can also include Threads on this forum, and I have found some who are not tolerant of "MY" opinions or "OTHERS" opinions. I'm trying to convey the message to the newbies to OB that not only is their Rig welcome on OB, their thoughts and opinions are a valuable part of this "Outfit", OB. We are Cool
Okay I understand better now. I wasn't even taking into consideration the title of the thread. Love what you are saying here and thabk you!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Okay I understand better now. I wasn't even taking into consideration the title of the thread. Love what you are saying here and thabk you!
Appreciation is a two sided thing. I thank you for entering the conversation and helping to clarify the issue. I'd still like the person who started the thread to tell us why he thought we were not showing tolerance. He must have felt we were not showing enough or he wouldn't have started the thread. He must have read something that he considered intolerant. What triggered the thread is what I'm asking now ?

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I've got Goodyear Duratracs.... and love 'em. Best AT tire for winter in my opinion (can't beat a true snow tire, but best AT).
Their reputation for being good in the snow is why I put them on my Florida truck! We have fine white sand here that reminds me of the dry snow you get up North and the Duratracs go through it with no problem, I hardly have to put it into 4x4 unless I get into some really soft stuff!

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Appreciation is a two sided thing. I thank you for entering the conversation and helping to clarify the issue. I'd still like the person who started the thread to tell us why he thought we were not showing tolerance. He must have felt we were not showing enough or he wouldn't have started the thread. He must have read something that he considered intolerant. What triggered the thread is what I'm asking now ?
Well I guess I better shed some light on why I started this thread. I had been reading a few different threads and on several occasions listened to people talk about there frustrations that individuals seem to poo poo there rides. I don’t remember which treads at this point but wanted to just remind everyone to not forget about one of the core values of Overland Bound! I was not singling out anyone, just wanted to say to those who might have experienced something less than positive, that we all stand for something more positive! I hope that clears things up and as for me, I’ve only experienced the best from those that I have met and spoken with.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

I know I am dating myself but, Right on Tim! I do spend time on other sites , mainly Jeep sites. But here I do find people are way more tolerant of what you drive. Like one of the members here is very much like me but has a Outback, I respect what he has done with it and were he takes it. I have a Modded JKU, but here (unlike other sites) I am not put down for not having a 6" lift and Dana 60 axles. So someone with a prius out there getting out is OK in my book, but I will keep an eye on them just in case they need help...

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I know I am dating myself but, Right on Tim! I do spend time on other sites , mainly Jeep sites. But here I do find people are way more tolerant of what you drive. Like one of the members here is very much like me but has a Outback, I respect what he has done with it and were he takes it. I have a Modded JKU, but here (unlike other sites) I am not put down for not having a 6" lift and Dana 60 axles. So someone with a prius out there getting out is OK in my book, but I will keep an eye on them just in case they need help...
Nicely said, I appreciate your thoughts.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'm wondering if you intended to quote my post or if that was in error.
I don't know which post you might be referring , you had only one. I think I have agreed with that post on this thread. I didn't quote you but I agree with the comment you did make here on this thread. What was the quote you are referring to just out of curiosity.

If I can ever get any of my rigs up and running I will enjoy the adventure, but I'm still working on it. :tearsofjoy:
Well I guess I better shed some light on why I started this thread. I had been reading a few different threads and on several occasions listened to people talk about there frustrations that individuals seem to poo poo there rides. I don’t remember which treads at this point but wanted to just remind everyone to not forget about one of the core values of Overland Bound! I was not singling out anyone, just wanted to say to those who might have experienced something less than positive, that we all stand for something more positive! I hope that clears things up and as for me, I’ve only experienced the best from those that I have met and spoken with.
Well thanks for that. It just goes to show we don't all read the same thing in messages at times. I might be less sensitive or maybe more tolerant than your views on other posts. I haven't found reason to post a warning about sensitivity from what I have read here in the forums. I certainly don't want newbies to think we have that kind of problems because we don't in my opinion, You have yours and it is just as important as mine or the next guy.. I would like to see more discussion about the OB rigs and less complaints about what is said, or shown, that might hurt someone's feelings. I think too many people these days carry the sensitivity chip around on their shoulder and it doesn't allow people to have a free discussion. (IMO) Positivity is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. What might be positive to you may not be positive to others, so be it ..
Thank you for what I consider a positive input, at least by your good standards.

Reactions: Cendee and 9Mike2

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I don't know which post you might be referring , you had only one. I think I have agreed with that post on this thread. I didn't quote you but I agree with the comment you did make here on this thread. What was the quote you are referring to just out of curiosity.

If I can ever get any of my rigs up and running I will enjoy the adventure, but I'm still working on it. :tearsofjoy:

Well thanks for that. It just goes to show we don't all read the same thing in messages at times. I might be less sensitive or maybe more tolerant than your views on other posts. I haven't found reason to post a warning about sensitivity from what I have read here in the forums. I certainly don't want newbies to think we have that kind of problems because we don't in my opinion, You have yours and it is just as important as mine or the next guy.. I would like to see more discussion about the OB rigs and less complaints about what is said, or shown, that might hurt someone's feelings. I think too many people these days carry the sensitivity chip around on their shoulder and it doesn't allow people to have a free discussion. (IMO) Positivity is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. What might be positive to you may not be positive to others, so be it ..
Thank you for what I consider a positive input, at least by your good standards.

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Oh and thank you for all your great input. I’ll have to think twice next time before I post. God knows, I don’t want to touch a nerve in anyone! Done

Reactions: Cendee

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I think the SVO thread is a great illustration of the spirit of this place. I would have never thought that a group of people would sit around and talk about how to outfit a bunch of cross over SUVs for off road travel. Most off road and 4x4 groups totally write off the cross over, not so here and I love it.
I have been around groups that have that element of snobbery before. While they can still be tons of fun it also get draining when youre the odd ball, and it seems like Im always the odd ball. When I was in an Isuzu group I always got weird looks for wheeling an old pickup rather than a Trooper or Rodeo like everyone else. When I was part of a GM group nobody took me seriously because I was into mini trucks and wanted to see what could be done with the old LUVs and S10s.
It really is refreshing to be a part of a group that seems to not have much if any snob element in it.

Last edited: