Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

It has occurred to me after reading a fair amount of different forums that we all need to be careful of how we project our enthusiasm! In terms of our rigs, each one of our rigs are awesome but, no more awesome than an others!! We all have great rides, some more capable than others but, that depends on what you want! Please be careful not to down play or criticize other rigs! I drive a full size truck and it’s rigged nice but it can’t crawl rocks or dive into mud like some, SO WHAT! It accomplishes what I want at the level I want! Come on guys, enjoy life, enjoy the outdoors and more importantly, ENJOY EACH OTHER - life is short!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I agree everyone has their reason for their rigs. Mine didn't start as an overland 'want-to-be'. It started as a basic truck to haul stuff to the dump, to help friends and family with over sized junk, etc. I have what I have and enjoy transforming it to whatever I am into at that moment. To me, by truck is a bug out vehicle first, then overland build second. If I can combine the two somehow, great! To each their own.

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I agree everyone has their reason for their rigs. Mine didn't start as an overland 'want-to-be'. It started as a basic truck to haul stuff to the dump, to help friends and family with over sized junk, etc. I have what I have and enjoy transforming it to whatever I am into at that moment. To me, by truck is a bug out vehicle first, then overland build second. If I can combine the two somehow, great! To each their own.
Come on all, life is short enjoy it and each other. You all inspire me! Let’s just go do it!

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Like others said, everyone has their unique needs, and that translates to some difference in the rigs we drive. I chose a 2018 Subaru Forester XT because they seem to have great reliability despite some myths about them, it's a great daily driver, great on the highway, and in my expereince, pretty damn capable off road - especially for an AWD vehicle. My first vehicle was my dad's Ford minivan, which I happily drove into the ground. It had about 600,000 km's on it, had a good life, but I knew I wanted something new and more practical for my needs.

Mid-way through the process of buying a vehicle, I got into overlanding, and the Forester was the smallest vehicle that I could comfortably sleep in as a 6'3" guy, and the smallest vehicle with the best ground clearance for all my photography/camping equipment. I've always wondered if a Tacoma or Ranger would've been a better choice, but then I thinka bout how much highway or even gravel road driving I do while overlanding (and the fact that this is also a daily driver). Considering all that, the Forester seems like the best choice and I'm very happy with it.

It's been able to handle everything I've thrown at it. With the new R160 diff lockers being released soon, it'll be even better!

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

It has occurred to me after reading a fair amount of different forums that we all need to be careful of how we project our enthusiasm! In terms of our rigs, each one of our rigs are awesome but, no more awesome than an others!! We all have great rides, some more capable than others but, that depends on what you want! Please be careful not to down play or criticize other rigs! I drive a full size truck and it’s rigged nice but it can’t crawl rocks or dive into mud like some, SO WHAT! It accomplishes what I want at the level I want! Come on guys, enjoy life, enjoy the outdoors and more importantly, ENJOY EACH OTHER - life is short!
Be happy... but not too happy.... might offend someone.

Got it!
:sunglasses:

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Like others said, everyone has their unique needs, and that translates to some difference in the rigs we drive. I chose a 2018 Subaru Forester XT because they seem to have great reliability despite some myths about them, it's a great daily driver, great on the highway, and in my expereince, pretty damn capable off road - especially for an AWD vehicle. My first vehicle was my dad's Ford minivan, which I happily drove into the ground. It had about 600,000 km's on it, had a good life, but I knew I wanted something new and more practical for my needs.

Mid-way through the process of buying a vehicle, I got into overlanding, and the Forester was the smallest vehicle that I could comfortably sleep in as a 6'3" guy, and the smallest vehicle with the best ground clearance for all my photography/camping equipment. I've always wondered if a Tacoma or Ranger would've been a better choice, but then I thinka bout how much highway or even gravel road driving I do while overlanding (and the fact that this is also a daily driver). Considering all that, the Forester seems like the best choice and I'm very happy with it.

View attachment 102877

View attachment 102878

It's been able to handle everything I've thrown at it. With the new R160 diff lockers being released soon, it'll be even better!

View attachment 102879
I bet it also gets pretty good mileage! Nice rig!

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I bet it also gets pretty good mileage! Nice rig!
Oh yeah, fantastic mileage even loaded down with gear. It really makes a difference when you've got to travel vast distances on everything from highways to gravel backroads. Much less "gas tank anxiety" with this rig than my dad's current 5.7L Sequoia (good truck though).

Also, I run Falken Wildpeaks myself. Love 'em.

Reactions: Cendee

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

View attachment 102877

View attachment 102878

View attachment 102879
Do they still put boxer engines in them. They are great little engines.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Do they still put boxer engines in them. They are great little engines.
Yup, same old boxer engines, minus the head gasket issues ;) Great little engines indeed! Though I wish the diesel Boxers were available here in Canada. They now have some hybrid powertrains, and I'd be really interested to see how the electric motors assist the boxer engines off-road with their instant torque.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yup, same old boxer engines, minus the head gasket issues ;) Great little engines indeed! Though I wish the diesel Boxers were available here in Canada. They now have some hybrid powertrains, and I'd be really interested to see how the electric motors assist the boxer engines off-road with their instant torque.
We are going to see a lot more electric assist motors I think in the future. My son has a Tesla and loves it. He better, he waited 3 years for that thing.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Well, one of OB's core principles is that it doesn't matter what you drive, it matters that you get out and adventure. As far as what rig you drive, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any off road community on the interwebs more accepting of different rigs than here.

Cheers and enjoy the adventures! :D