Contributor I

Oshawa
First Name
John
Last Name
Philip
Member #

Hay all...

I am starting to plan a summer trip and I'm hoping for some ideas of good things to see. I sorta have an idea of my route but I'm looking for scenic or the old fashioned roadside attractions. The basic plan is to start around the Durham Region area and head to Tobermory were we will stay a day or two sightseeing. Then jump on the Chi-Cheemaun and go over to South Baymouth and hit up some trading posts on the way to Sudbury. Once in Sudbury I was thinking about doing a mine tour before heading back toward Durham and work. Again I have a basic idea of the route but that can change if there are fun things to see or do. I'm not looking for off-road trails but if we hit some gravel along the way I sure wouldn't mind that ether... ;)

Thanks for your ideas in advance.

Traveler I

I was in Tobermory the first week of September 2018. Just a few things I found out... book after labour day weekend is better as the larger crowds aren’t there and your are more than likely to be able to book a campsite(at least at Bruce Peninsula National Park). If you want to see the Grotto, book a campsite so you don’t have the same 4 hour limits that you do as a day visitor. The park has a small lake with clear shallow water to swim in if you don’t feel like making the mile hike to Georgian Bay. Or hike the recently added trails around the lake, which could be done in an about or so. There is also the trails to and from the Grotto which could take 3-5 hour to hike.

Tobermory is more directed to the cottages and fishing community and anyone looking to take the ferry. You can’t seen the ship wrecks without hiring a sightseeing boating company.

Reactions: John Hapla Philip

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I was in Tobermory last in late October, the last weekend before most of the shops and restaurants closed for the season. Definitely get your reservation in for the park, camping is great(we stayed with friends who live up there), but 4 hours was plenty to see the grotto hiking the loop near it. Had some great fish and chips dockside in Tobermory, then grabbed dinner near Georgian Bay. Was the furthest north the FJ has ventured this far. . .

28883817948_c3cc32347f_o.jpg28883817728_4f443ba583_o.jpg44878477011_edc286ee53_o.jpgIMG_0002.jpg

John Hapla Philip

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Oshawa
First Name
John
Last Name
Philip
Member #

I was in Tobermory last in late October, the last weekend before most of the shops and restaurants closed for the season. Definitely get your reservation in for the park, camping is great(we stayed with friends who live up there), but 4 hours was plenty to see the grotto hiking the loop near it. Had some great fish and chips dockside in Tobermory, then grabbed dinner near Georgian Bay. Was the furthest north the FJ has ventured this far. . .

View attachment 89654View attachment 89655View attachment 89656View attachment 89657
I think we may just stay in town since I really want to do a boat trip with the 2 shipwrecks and flower pot. I haven't been up there in 30 years so I imagine things have changed a little. We only get a day to check out the island and shops so camping will more then likely be out for Tobermory this time around.

I have to ask where you got the bear patch from though. I hope we can get one. ;)

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I think we may just stay in town since I really want to do a boat trip with the 2 shipwrecks and flower pot. I haven't been up there in 30 years so I imagine things have changed a little. We only get a day to check out the island and shops so camping will more then likely be out for Tobermory this time around.

I have to ask where you got the bear patch from though. I hope we can get one. ;)

I know I bought it at one of the shops on the harbor. Either Tobermory Trading post(Attached to Circle Arts) or the clothing/ gift shop under the Crow's Nest Pub.

Reactions: John Hapla Philip

Ontario Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hanover,Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Cerutti
Member #

Some great information has already been posted here. But I’ll add some more. The Bruce peninsula is my backyard, I’ve been exploring it for years! Do yourself a huge favour and pick up a copy of BRMB (southern Ontario fit them peninsula and northeastern for Manitoulin) when heading up the peninsula skirt the western side of hwy 6 staying as close to the water as you can. This will take you through Cape Croker, lions head and up to the Cabot Head provincial nature reserve. All of which will provide you with some breathing views.4E2E669E-E562-4836-AD6D-6BD7FCD2DE09.jpeg