To Ursa Minor, or not to Ursa Minor

• HTML tutorial

RescueJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Prince George BC Canada
Member #

I am looking for anyone who can give me their real life experiences with the Ursa Minor J30 RTT.
I am rather smitten with the whole concept, but talked myself out of committing the funds this year. I then spent the rest of the year overlanding thinking that I could be sleeping in the J30.
So, I think it is back on my horizon. However, I would like to hear from a real user how it has stood up to the elements.
Thanks for your input!!

Reactions: Narbob

MizMoosie

Rank III

Advocate II

Rescue Jeep,

I've had mine for 1.5 years (#87). It has been amazing. It is very easy to just take off after throwing a few things in the Jeep and find a remote spot off a fire road.

I live in bug country so I have added a few items that make camp life comfortable:
A screen tent for cooking and hanging out:

For longer stays and for inclement weather:

Or just a simple tarp off the back for shade

I travel solo mostly but I would think it may be a bit cumbersome for 2 people climbing in and out of the hatches. On the other hand, when it is raining it is very nice to be able to access the sleeping area without getting wet... I use a small folding foot stool to make getting up easier. The dog simply uses it as a platform for jumping up from the front seat.

Let me know if you have other questions!

RescueJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Prince George BC Canada
Member #

Rescue Jeep,

I've had mine for 1.5 years (#87). It has been amazing. It is very easy to just take off after throwing a few things in the Jeep and find a remote spot off a fire road.

I live in bug country so I have added a few items that make camp life comfortable:
A screen tent for cooking and hanging out:

For longer stays and for inclement weather:

Or just a simple tarp off the back for shade

I travel solo mostly but I would think it may be a bit cumbersome for 2 people climbing in and out of the hatches. On the other hand, when it is raining it is very nice to be able to access the sleeping area without getting wet... I use a small folding foot stool to make getting up easier. The dog simply uses it as a platform for jumping up from the front seat.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Thanks Miz!

some random questions that I have are:

Do you keep it on the jeep all year?
I am wondering how it holds up to winter weather.

And in bad weather, how well does it handle the water?

I will mostly use mine alone also, so I am not concerned about the hatch issue so much, but it has been something I thought about.
Will it close with some items left inside, sleeping bags, pillow, clothes?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

MizMoosie

Rank III

Advocate II

Thanks Miz!

some random questions that I have are:

Do you keep it on the jeep all year?
I am wondering how it holds up to winter weather.

And in bad weather, how well does it handle the water?

I will mostly use mine alone also, so I am not concerned about the hatch issue so much, but it has been something I thought about.
Will it close with some items left inside, sleeping bags, pillow, clothes?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
It stays on all year. I think it would be a major hassle to take it off very often. I don't even know it is up there and when I want to take off, it's ready to go.

I live in northern WI and the temps get to -35F. No problems at all. I have been in very windy, rainy weather that lasted 2-3 days with the top up the entire time. The windblown rain did seep into the top and get the mattresses somewhat wet.

I do not leave anything up top with the top closed. I would rather have a tight seal while driving. I know some folks do leave things up top but I think a pillow may be a bit much.

RescueJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Prince George BC Canada
Member #

It stays on all year. I think it would be a major hassle to take it off very often. I don't even know it is up there and when I want to take off, it's ready to go.

I live in northern WI and the temps get to -35F. No problems at all. I have been in very windy, rainy weather that lasted 2-3 days with the top up the entire time. The windblown rain did seep into the top and get the mattresses somewhat wet.

I do not leave anything up top with the top closed. I would rather have a tight seal while driving. I know some folks do leave things up top but I think a pillow may be a bit much.

today's question:\

Has yours had any encouters with Ice and snow.... Canadian... gotta ask. LOL

Reactions: Jim Moon

MizMoosie

Rank III

Advocate II

Naaaah, only about 7 months out of a year! I do a lot of winter camping with a canvas tent and wood stove. I usually don't sleep in the Ursa during those trips because it is too warm and comfy in the tent.. But it is on the Jeep 12 months a year.

Reactions: RescueJeep

RescueJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Prince George BC Canada
Member #

Naaaah, only about 7 months out of a year! I do a lot of winter camping with a canvas tent and wood stove. I usually don't sleep in the Ursa during those trips because it is too warm and comfy in the tent.. But it is on the Jeep 12 months a year.
There is something about a toasty wall tent and the sounds of an airtight stove!

Did you get any of the add ons? any you wished you had gotten?

MizMoosie

Rank III

Advocate II

No add ons except for the rack system for the top. I opted for a window on the passenger side rear and a solid drivers side. I like the stock gooseneck led reading lights. I usually have a Crazy Creek chair with me that I use to read at night up top.

Reactions: RescueJeep

Lvfunnyfarm

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, Nv
First Name
Candi
Last Name
Skehan
Member #

I am looking for anyone who can give me their real life experiences with the Ursa Minor J30 RTT.
I am rather smitten with the whole concept, but talked myself out of committing the funds this year. I then spent the rest of the year overlanding thinking that I could be sleeping in the J30.
So, I think it is back on my horizon. However, I would like to hear from a real user how it has stood up to the elements.
Thanks for your input!!
Did you ever get your Ursa Minor top? If so, how are you liking it?

LvFunnyFarm

rubicon91

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Southwest FL
Member #

Just got mine thursday. Got out for 1 night yesterday to test out. WOW is all i am gonna say. Absolutely love it!! Took longer to get than expected but outside that I am extremely happy with my decision. Sold my trailer, gobi rack and hardtop to switch and I am stoked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PS144ONE

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whittier, California
First Name
Rudy
Last Name
Silva
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6DMP
Just got mine thursday. Got out for 1 night yesterday to test out. WOW is all i am gonna say. Absolutely love it!! Took longer to get than expected but outside that I am extremely happy with my decision. Sold my trailer, gobi rack and hardtop to switch and I am stoked.

What size lift and tires do you have? You have a similar setup to how I am trying to build my rig.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using OB Talk mobile app

F8OO

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toronto, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
F
Member #

Deadly set up! Wow. For years I've been dreaming of a Wrangler with the Ursa Minor. It just screams adventure to me. I got the Wrangler a couple weeks ago!

The Wrangler is my daily driver and I just love that I would have a camper installed all the time. Something for me to consider down the road for sure.