Enthusiast II

Center Barnstead, Barnstead, NH, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Palmieri
Member #

IMG_0311.JPGIMG_0227.JPG

I am planning on an overlanding trip through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and a good portion of the trip will be off pavement. I have a trailer that is very capable off road that also carries my RTT.

However, I’m having an internal debate about whether or not to bring it.

One side of me thinks the area is unknown to me and could be a hassle to bring, especially if we get to a point of a narrow trail and need to turn around. I also don’t know if I can take the ferry across Fundy with the trailer. There is also a concern for gas. Though on the plus side the trailer carries a lot of gear that I couldn’t bring if I didn’t take the trailer.

The other side of me thinks to throw the RTT on my Jeep (I have a Teraflex Nebo rack) and go without the trailer and have the freedoms of not having something towing behind you. But I will have to pack lighter since space would be the limiting factor versus the trailer.

Of course I’m an over thinker but would like to entertain some thoughts from others. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
View attachment 135665View attachment 135666

I am planning on an overlanding trip through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and a good portion of the trip will be off pavement. I have a trailer that is very capable off road that also carries my RTT.

However, I’m having an internal debate about whether or not to bring it.

One side of me thinks the area is unknown to me and could be a hassle to bring, especially if we get to a point of a narrow trail and need to turn around. I also don’t know if I can take the ferry across Fundy with the trailer. There is also a concern for gas. Though on the plus side the trailer carries a lot of gear that I couldn’t bring if I didn’t take the trailer.

The other side of me thinks to throw the RTT on my Jeep (I have a Teraflex Nebo rack) and go without the trailer and have the freedoms of not having something towing behind you. But I will have to pack lighter since space would be the limiting factor versus the trailer.

Of course I’m an over thinker but would like to entertain some thoughts from others. Thanks in advance.
Sweet set up. Nova Scotia is beautiful, I've done a fair bit of work up there and loved it. I don't think the trailer would be much of a problem up there or on the ferry. But, being that far away and going into new areas with some unknowns, I personally would travel without it to be more nimble. I have a 5X8 off road camp trailer decked out with awning, 30 gal water, slide out galley, etc. I like it and love using it as a base camp, but I still like to travel without it when going to unknown areas just for the sake of not having to deal with towing it or storing it safely if I want to ditch it for a run on tight trails, etc. Sure I lose a lot of luxuries by not having it, but I gain a lot of freedom and less headache when exploring. The wife and I are heading to north Georgia in a week and I will take the camper and set it up at a camp ground at a state park and then take off to explore and probably end up tenting it some away from the camper. If it wasn't for the safety of leaving it there at the state park, it would certainly be staying home. Also, fuel does cost more in Canada and even though my camp trailer is small and I'm pulling it with a V8...I still get about a 30% drop in mileage. Not sure about your set up, but certainly there is more fuel use towing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road and Booboodmb

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Maybe do a short trip before your trip without the trailer and see how you do/cope.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I would not hesitate to take my trailer up through the Maritimes and have been contemplating the Trans Labrador for a long time. Been to Nova Scotia, NB, and PEI several times, though not back country as much as I can now.

I like having my other gear with me too much to not take my trailer. That said, if I'm only going somewhere for the day, or a couple days, I don't always take the trailer and am set up with redundant cooking and sleeping capabilities.

I like having independent hand brakes on each side of y trailer, military style, which allows me to lock one side and pivot more easily by hand if I need to unhitch and turn it around. Sometimes that's easier than trying to find a spot big enough to back it in to turn around if that need arises.

Here's the ferry rates from NB to NS. They show a rate for u-haul and drop trailers, so I'm sure yours won't be a problem in that regard.

** One thing you DO have to watch though, on some ferries, is that they might not let you take propane tanks. I know of guys who have had to leave tanks behind and then try to find one the other side. Can't say that was the Fundy ferry or going over to PEI, or one of the smaller, though.

Last edited:

Booboodmb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Center Barnstead, Barnstead, NH, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Palmieri
Member #

Very solid thoughts.

The plan is to do about 8-10 days on this trip. We won’t be able to setup a basecamp and then go out to explore as we will be going from one point to another, trying to cover ground as we go. Typically I’d bring the trailer if we can set up basecamp and then venture out, say in VT or NH.

My trailer has onboard air, but I also have a PowerTank that I could take in its place. I’d probably have to trim down my spare parts list to a bare minimum. I also don’t mind using the JetBoil for when we are at camp, but i imagine that we will be stopping in towns to get some lunch through the trip. It’s not completely remote trip, but we plan on doing primitive camping as much as we can.

Reactions: Road and grubworm

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
If it was me I'd take the trailer and enjoy being able to set up camp then go exploring in the Jeep without having to break down camp every time you go out.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Take the trailer, it is so tough and manuverable it could not possibly be a disadvantage.