To lift or not to lift

• HTML tutorial

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

+1 on this. It's hard to give advice on this topic not knowing how you plan to use your truck. In all honesty, I've seen a lot of vehicles with bull bars that just don't need them. And that is fine if that is the look they want, but when you consider that adding the bull bar adds wait and sometimes requires suspension upgrade, it quickly becomes a very expensive exercise in making a truck look cool. So you have to decide what look you want and what you want to do with the truck and also how much you are willing to spend to achieve those goals. Personally, I do as little as I can to make the vehicle do exactly what I want it to do. But that's just me. Tell us how you drive it, how much time you spend on pavement vs dirt vs rock/mud. Do you want comfort or straight off road prowess or a mix? Are you getting yourself in winchable situations? How often do you find yourself needing more clearance? Where, geographically, do you drive it off road (is there mud, rock, slick rock, sand). Do you see where I am going with this? We can all impart our own personal opinions on you but ultimately, without knowing what you specifically intend to do with the truck, our advice is really quite useless as it pretty much pertains to what we think you will do. Or perhaps what we hope you will do.

It wont be a pavement princess. I want it to be capable. I plan on trips to Moab and such and parks. I plan on offroad trails and camping from it with sustainment. I plan to do an awning and use ground tents until I can do an offroad trailer. I will use it to go on hunting trips too. I basically plan on not questioning where I can go more of just how soon can i make this trip happen or when kinda deal. My worry with aluminum is, yes its more expensive but is it worth it? The lighter weight is great obviously but it wouldnt hold up as well as steel i would presume.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

It wont be a pavement princess. I want it to be capable. I plan on trips to Moab and such and parks. I plan on offroad trails and camping from it with sustainment. I plan to do an awning and use ground tents until I can do an offroad trailer. I will use it to go on hunting trips too. I basically plan on not questioning where I can go more of just how soon can i make this trip happen or when kinda deal. My worry with aluminum is, yes its more expensive but is it worth it? The lighter weight is great obviously but it wouldnt hold up as well as steel i would presume.
Aluminum will taking a beating. But it is softer so the abrasion resistance is a lot lower. Dragging the skids over rocks will eventually weaken them. So you would need to replace or re skin. That being said they will last for years for the average off-roader/overlander.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Well, all the things you just described are things a TRD Tacoma can pretty well do out of the box with no real trouble as long as you posses the skills and knowledge of how to do it. You can't really make up for experience with gear. You'll still break stuff if you have no skill and an 8 inch lift. But again, it's all personal preference. If you want a lift you are going to get one, no matter what anyone says, right? I do all the things you mentioned with a mere 1" lift in my trooper and 275/65/16R tires. I have less clearance but perhaps a similar break-over given my shorter wheelbase as a Tacoma. I've also been off roading since before I had a license. I can't speak to your experience level as I don't know you. But my recommendation to anyone who isn't confident in their very capable rig, is take a course, watch some videos put out by reputable sources and practice practice practice. Also, buy some recovery gear. No matter what you do to your rig, you will probably need recovery gear. Also, the warranty on your factory parts is better than the aftermarket parts you would install, so if you are going to break something... just sayin' :) That's my personal opinion.

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

The steel skids will slide over the rocks better, aluminum tends to hang more. Or so I've been told by folks that have had both.

Reactions: SeguineJ

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Well, all the things you just described are things a TRD Tacoma can pretty well do out of the box with no real trouble as long as you posses the skills and knowledge of how to do it. You can't really make up for experience with gear. You'll still break stuff if you have no skill and an 8 inch lift. But again, it's all personal preference. If you want a lift you are going to get one, no matter what anyone says, right? I do all the things you mentioned with a mere 1" lift in my trooper and 275/65/16R tires. I have less clearance but perhaps a similar break-over given my shorter wheelbase as a Tacoma. I've also been off roading since before I had a license. I can't speak to your experience level as I don't know you. But my recommendation to anyone who isn't confident in their very capable rig, is take a course, watch some videos put out by reputable sources and practice practice practice. Also, buy some recovery gear. No matter what you do to your rig, you will probably need recovery gear. Also, the warranty on your factory parts is better than the aftermarket parts you would install, so if you are going to break something... just sayin' :) That's my personal opinion.
Im all game for leaving it mostly stock. Most of the parts are just protection and if anything goes wrong. I am not the most experienced offroader but I am willing to learn and such. I am not set on doing a lift, hence the post. I know I bought a capable vehicle which is why I did it. Thats what I am trying to figure out, what exactly is next, what should I focus on to just up capability. If its just tires then awesome, I'll get new tires and start the other more "overland"ish and camping parts. ie; the roof rack, awning, truck cap for extra shelter for gear and such. The recovery tools and all that.

That is basically the whole point of this post, i bought a capable vehicle, do i really need to spend more money on things like this or can I just start focusing on the fun side of purchases to really enjoy my outdoor experiences.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Im all game for leaving it mostly stock. Most of the parts are just protection and if anything goes wrong. I am not the most experienced offroader but I am willing to learn and such. I am not set on doing a lift, hence the post. I know I bought a capable vehicle which is why I did it. Thats what I am trying to figure out, what exactly is next, what should I focus on to just up capability. If its just tires then awesome, I'll get new tires and start the other more "overland"ish and camping parts. ie; the roof rack, awning, truck cap for extra shelter for gear and such. The recovery tools and all that.

That is basically the whole point of this post, i bought a capable vehicle, do i really need to spend more money on things like this or can I just start focusing on the fun side of purchases to really enjoy my outdoor experiences.
If it were me, I would start focusing on fun stuff. Some upgraded underside protection wouldn't hurt. But you'll have more fun if you spend the money on getting out "into the woods". That rig is an overlanding beast from the factory. And like a lot of others have said, you won't really know what is needed until you start getting it out there.

I didn't mean to insinuate that your post was pointless, it seemed by the above that my comments may have come across that way. Quite the opposite. Good post for others new to overlanding to see. It's pretty common for folks to go buy a rig and then spend another 10-15 grand on top to get it "off road ready" when its already a very capable rig. You're smart to ask before you go blowing cash.

Reactions: SeguineJ

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

I love me some Isuzu Trooper. I had a 91 and out almost 200k miles on it. Some BFG at's and a calmini lift it would go just about anywhere.

Reactions: MA_Trooper

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

If it were me, I would start focusing on fun stuff. Some upgraded underside protection wouldn't hurt. But you'll have more fun if you spend the money on getting out "into the woods". That rig is an overlanding beast from the factory. And like a lot of others have said, you won't really know what is needed until you start getting it out there.

I didn't mean to insinuate that your post was pointless, it seemed by the above that my comments may have come across that way. Quite the opposite. Good post for others new to overlanding to see. It's pretty common for folks to go buy a rig and then spend another 10-15 grand on top to get it "off road ready" when its already a very capable rig. You're smart to ask before you go blowing cash.
I'm also exactly what my signature says. Poor white trash. Not the degrading meaning of that name I just am super blue collar and don't have money to just throw around. I don't buy things without a purpose and a need. I WANT a lift for looks but if i don't NEED a lift i am not going to spend the money.

I would rather spend money on what lets me get out there to enjoy what I love. Find new places and see new things. Kayak, fish, hunt, and camp. I know I want to do the skid because I don't want a mistake that will leave me stranded haha. (It would be my luck). So I guess its time to look into the tires, recovery gear, and accessories. So if I don't do a replacement bumper, whats the best way to mount a winch? Should I just get a bull bar?

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

I'm also exactly what my signature says. Poor white trash. Not the degrading meaning of that name I just am super blue collar and don't have money to just throw around. I don't buy things without a purpose and a need. I WANT a lift for looks but if i don't NEED a lift i am not going to spend the money.

I would rather spend money on what lets me get out there to enjoy what I love. Find new places and see new things. Kayak, fish, hunt, and camp. I know I want to do the skid because I don't want a mistake that will leave me stranded haha. (It would be my luck). So I guess its time to look into the tires, recovery gear, and accessories. So if I don't do a replacement bumper, whats the best way to mount a winch? Should I just get a bull bar?
Us off-road makes a great winch mount for our trucks. It's reasonably priced and much stronger than a lot of the other similar products.

Reactions: TXpedition

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

We are in the same financial boat. haha. Anywho, There are kits that hide the winch behind your stock bumper (maybe not yet for the 2017). Just a little cutting on the bumper to create the winch line access. If you will be wheeling with other folks pretty much all the time, a good kinetic rope will do the trick quicker and you don't have that little pit in your stomach when you hit the "in" button on your winch remote as you think "God I hope this thing starts up ok." lol I have a hand winch I grab for when I am going out alone. Cheap and always works as long as I keep it clean and lubed. Personal preference though. There are some great winches out there. Just a little to expensive for me to bother.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

We are in the same financial boat. haha. Anywho, There are kits that hide the winch behind your stock bumper (maybe not yet for the 2017). Just a little cutting on the bumper to create the winch line access. If you will be wheeling with other folks pretty much all the time, a good kinetic rope will do the trick quicker and you don't have that little pit in your stomach when you hit the "in" button on your winch remote as you think "God I hope this thing starts up ok." lol I have a hand winch I grab for when I am going out alone. Cheap and always works as long as I keep it clean and lubed. Personal preference though. There are some great winches out there. Just a little to expensive for me to bother.
For the most part, need to be prepared for self recovery. Does the spare underneath though have enough room for an upgraded size tire or will I need to start to consider other options?

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Us off-road makes a great winch mount for our trucks. It's reasonably priced and much stronger than a lot of the other similar products.
You beat me to it. Yeah, US Offroad for sure. Great product.
One thing I'd read up on are your rear lower control arms. I know on the FJ they aren't so beefy. I went ahead and upgraded those.
Over on the FJ forums there is a very smart post about the first $2000 spent on your vehicle. It might help guide your upgrades... it sure did help me!
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/60034-first-2000-a.html

DocNOS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Tulsa, OK
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Son
Member #

Service Branch
USN

Have you ever heard of a
come-along? You can use that with a tree saver and a good chain to get yourself out of most situations.

I do recommend learning about pullies and how to use mechanical advantage. If you learn the manual way first, when you get the power winch it will be a lot easier.

Also the come-along is only $50.00 [emoji41]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NPPBHO/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_196_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8QM1KGK8EG154TCZXT7A

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Have you ever heard of a
come-along? You can use that with a tree saver and a good chain to get yourself out of most situations.

I do recommend learning about pullies and how to use mechanical advantage. If you learn the manual way first, when you get the power winch it will be a lot easier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NPPBHO/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_196_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8QM1KGK8EG154TCZXT7A

One thing I do know is pullies and I planned on looking into manual options just got to make sure everything is capable ya know?

Reactions: DocNOS

Preston Tiegs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Provo Utah
Member #

Have you ever heard of a

This looks fantastic! Would I need a pulley system for getting my 4runner unstuck? Seems like a cheaper solution than a new bumper and winch!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

With any suspension just remember, springs carry the weight, shocks control the ride. The lowest lift you can run to do the job is the one you want. If your rig can fit 33s on a 2" lift, dont get a 4" lift. A low center of gravity is a good thing.

If you plan on running the Taco on more than just dirt roads I would suggest sliders to be you first investment. The longer wheelbase creates a lower breakover angle the door sills are very exposed and easy to hit.

Aluminum vs steel on a offroad rig:
I suggest aluminum anywhere above the midline of the rig(headlights and above). Things up here dont tend to get hit very often and if they do its not very hard. This ties back into the low center of gravity thing.

Bumpers: kind of dealers choice here. You know how you drive. If you hit your bumpers a LOT, I would go with steel. If you occasionally tap a corner dropping off rock than aluminum will hold up for years.

Sliders: Steel. You will hit them...often. If they deflect, that means your body just took a hit as well and you spend money on sliders to prevent that, right?

Skid plates: These can go either way. If you are constantly dragging your belly over sharp rocks, steel is your friend. It will last longer and not gouge very easy. If you hit it a few times here and there, save the weight and go aluminum. The skids are all supported by your steel chassis so they will take quite a bit of abuse.

Always keep your vehicles power to weight ratio in mind. Adding weight lowers your fuel economy and actually makes it harder to climb obstacles on the trail. Also, Weight breaks parts. The lighter you can keep the rig, the less headaches you will have. Look into options like a front reciever if you dont want to carry a winch on your daily commute as well.