To fridge or not to fridge

• Thread starter Deleted member 57119
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
D

Deleted member 57119

Hello everyone, so as my wife and I are expecting our second little one the use/need of having snacks. Milk and food while camping is about to double and we take a lot of road trips. We currently use a yeti tundra 65 but we live in Phoenix and it’s obviously a tad warm in the summer. If we decide to move forward I can’t decide between arb,dometic and snow master. I want to be able to slide it out for easy access 2019 4Runner with no factory slide in the rear. Would you recommend a dual battery set up or alternatively a power source such as a Goal Zero. Any and all info would be appreciated as I am a novice with all this. Thank you in advance and have a blessed day!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Congrats on your upcoming second one. I have three of my own and so far our little Dometic CFX-28 fits our needs just fine for weekend trips. I just throw mine in the back of the truck and connect to my solar setup/battery. I like the option of having a portable battery source like Goal Zero so I can move the fridge closer to the camping table or inside the tent if needed. So if you could do both and have the time and energy, that would be good. Otherwise the fridge and Goal Zero type of approach is the quickest and easiest.

bshef

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sandy, UT, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
Sheffield
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7OXS
I recently ditched the yeti with ice for a dometic CFX3 35 (1-2 people, 1-2 nights). Unless I'm doing a short day trip, I'll more than likely never use a standard cooler again. The fridge is a game changer, much more room for snacks and beverages :smirk:. I run mine through the DC outlet in the back seat of my raptor. I set the battery saver feature to moderate (never had the fridge shut off even after overnight usage). If I'm feeling a bit uneasy about battery consumption I just run the truck for a bit (have GB70 as backup though because I typically camp alone).

In regards to what brand.... I cannot comment on anything other than dometic, but have been satisfied thus far.

As far as auxiliary battery options, I'd run a GZ/solar panel or substitute before I'd settle on dual battery (not saying DB is inferior, just preference and adaptability)

Dr Gil

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Kajiki
I have an ARB 63qt. Life changing for day to day use. You don't absolutely need to have a 2nd battery to use the fridge. Be very aware of your battery use, and keep a Jump pack with you at all times. Even with a Group 31 2nd battery, there is only enough charge to run my fridge for 2.5 days without driving.

D

Deleted member 57119

Congrats on your upcoming second one. I have three of my own and so far our little Dometic CFX-28 fits our needs just fine for weekend trips. I just throw mine in the back of the truck and connect to my solar setup/battery. I like the option of having a portable battery source like Goal Zero so I can move the fridge closer to the camping table or inside the tent if needed. So if you could do both and have the time and energy, that would be good. Otherwise the fridge and Goal Zero type of approach is the quickest and easiest.
Awesome thank you for the input! I don’t know but somehow having it affixed to the vehicle sounded like a good idea but the flexibility of being able to move it around seems nice as well. Lots to consider.

D

Deleted member 57119

I recently ditched the yeti with ice for a dometic CFX3 35 (1-2 people, 1-2 nights). Unless I'm doing a short day trip, I'll more than likely never use a standard cooler again. The fridge is a game changer, much more room for snacks and beverages :smirk:. I run mine through the DC outlet in the back seat of my raptor. I set the battery saver feature to moderate (never had the fridge shut off even after overnight usage). If I'm feeling a bit uneasy about battery consumption I just run the truck for a bit (have GB70 as backup though because I typically camp alone).

In regards to what brand.... I cannot comment on anything other than dometic, but have been satisfied thus far.

As far as auxiliary battery options, I'd run a GZ/solar panel or substitute before I'd settle on dual battery (not saying DB is inferior, just preference and adaptability)
Thank for the input, it’s much appreciated!

D

Deleted member 57119

I have an ARB 63qt. Life changing for day to day use. You don't absolutely need to have a 2nd battery to use the fridge. Be very aware of your battery use, and keep a Jump pack with you at all times. Even with a Group 31 2nd battery, there is only enough charge to run my fridge for 2.5 days without driving.
Awesome, thank you!

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I’ve been considering the dometic 30L drawer fridge. I’ve used a 50 qt ice chest for many years and figure this would a decent size. If I’m traveling with my teardrop, the ice chest can always hold cold stuff in the galley, then put the perishable items in the fridge in my rig.

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO

This is what I also plan to do, I already have a GZ Lithium 3000 and a solar briefcase, just ordered a Pelican case for it, to make it weatherproof, going to add some all weather fittings on the pelican case for the fridge.

D

Deleted member 57119

I’ve been considering the dometic 30L drawer fridge. I’ve used a 50 qt ice chest for many years and figure this would a decent size. If I’m traveling with my teardrop, the ice chest can always hold cold stuff in the galley, then put the perishable items in the fridge in my rig.
Great idea as well, thanks!

Reactions: Sparksalot
D

Deleted member 57119

This is what I also plan to do, I already have a GZ Lithium 3000 and a solar briefcase, just ordered a Pelican case for it, to make it weatherproof, going to add some all weather fittings on the pelican case for the fridge.
I would love to see pictures of that set up. Sounds like it will be amazing!

Reactions: educky

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
I would love to see pictures of that set up. Sounds like it will be amazing!
So, I'm far from done, but made my own thread...

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
When I had my truck, I used my fridge with a Goal Zero. I had the fridge plugged into the GZ and the GZ plugged into the powerport in the bed of the truck. When we got to the campsite I plugged the GZ in to a foldable solar panel.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Buying a fridge was a game-changer for me. Love having one. I use a Goal Zero Lithium 1000 and a 100W folding solar panel to power it so I can move it between vehicles or closer to wherever the kitchen is set up. If I am just going out for a day or two I may leave the GZ at home and just run it from the battery.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Awesome thank you for the input! I don’t know but somehow having it affixed to the vehicle sounded like a good idea but the flexibility of being able to move it around seems nice as well. Lots to consider.
I have the Costway 53 qt fridge and it has been a game changer here in hot & humid Florida. Even the good coolers like Yeti & RTIC only hold ice for 2-3 days when you're constantly opening and closing them and better have food items in sealed containers or they'll get water logged. I don't have to worry about that with the fridge. I can run it for 3 days with the 138 ah lithium battery I got off Ebay and then I have a Flexopower 444 as backup power or if I want to move the fridge out of the truck. The Flexopower only weighs 12 pounds and will power the fridge for about 1.5 days, that comes in handy sometimes when I go shopping and buy something cold. I usually leave the fridge and the Flexopower in the truck for those situations. Again, you just power it up and don't ever have to worry about ice and melting ice! I plan to buy a small fridge/freezer that I can use just for ice for when I make drinks & keep frozen food on longer trips. Right now I still take a small cooler with ice in it for mixed drinks. The fridge holds all the food, beer and a bit of water I want to keep cold!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Unless you need a "powerbox" to charge or power other things than a fridge I would do the following. What is below may seem complex but it is also a lot cheaper than most of the power boxes. I have run this type of setup successfully for over 7 years and have never killed my battery.

1. Pick a fridge you want (Dometic are now on recall so you might not be able to find one) Truma might be an additional brand to consider.

2. Replace your truck battery with a dual purpose starting/deep cycle battery like an X2 from Batteries Plus

3. Buy the ARB wiring kit (Doesn't matter what brand you own) and install the port where you like. I don't care if the Forerunner has a socket somewhere. The wire gauge is NOT thick enough to run a fridge properly.
3a. I have 12 volt plugs. You can convert to an SAE port or as some others have suggested the ARB female plug style is a locking plug. I think that is what comes with the ARB wiring kit. (It's been too long for me to remember)

4. Get some type of solar to keep things charged. Renogy suitcase or a DIY setup with a controller of your choice. It doesn't really matter. Why tax your battery when the sun can keep it happy for up to 12 hours per day.

gonzoy5

Rank V
Launch Member

Builder I

Miami, Fl
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

I'll chime in with a vote on a "cheapo" brand. I've been using an Alpicool 45 (Amazon special) for about 2 years now (10 weekends or so). Got tired of wet food by day 2.5. Also camping with a 3 year old at the time helped keep his items in check. I power it with a Goal Zero Yeti 400 that will last me the weekend easily with a Boulder 50 panel. If you include any driving in your camp weekends (instead of just settling in to camp) then you can use the car charger to top off the Yeti 400 during the drive and give you plenty of life for a weekend. I get the benefits of the higher end units, but if you need something just to keep food cold and live inside an enclosed vehicle, then mayyyybe you don't need a $1000 fridge lol

1595348567392.png

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I recently went on a few days trip. I was going to bring one of my 50Qt fridges but instead bought a 15Qt Alpicool fridge. It ran all day on my Yeti (whose battery was dying) and at night I'd take both into the motel room to plug them in. The 15Qt barely uses electricity and for picnics or short trips works a lot better than a comparable sized cooler. I'm looking to sell one of my bigger fridges and use the Aplicool as a freezer to go along with my 50Qt Dometic.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Unless you need a "powerbox" to charge or power other things than a fridge I would do the following. What is below may seem complex but it is also a lot cheaper than most of the power boxes. I have run this type of setup successfully for over 7 years and have never killed my battery.

1. Pick a fridge you want (Dometic are now on recall so you might not be able to find one) Truma might be an additional brand to consider.

2. Replace your truck battery with a dual purpose starting/deep cycle battery like an X2 from Batteries Plus

3. Buy the ARB wiring kit (Doesn't matter what brand you own) and install the port where you like. I don't care if the Forerunner has a socket somewhere. The wire gauge is NOT thick enough to run a fridge properly.
3a. I have 12 volt plugs. You can convert to an SAE port or as some others have suggested the ARB female plug style is a locking plug. I think that is what comes with the ARB wiring kit. (It's been too long for me to remember)

4. Get some type of solar to keep things charged. Renogy suitcase or a DIY setup with a controller of your choice. It doesn't really matter. Why tax your battery when the sun can keep it happy for up to 12 hours per day.
Yes #3 and #3a are very important to the long life of the refrigerator.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Well putting my Costway up for sale, I stumbled across what looks like a really good dual zone fridge/freezer at a good price and took the plunge and ordered it, came in pretty quick too! It's the Ironman 4x4 IceCube 65L in the link below and so far I've noticed that it is very well built and runs efficiently. I've had it in the house for about a week set on 39 for the fridge and 20 for the freezer and it has done a great job of keeping those temps with minimal running of the compressor! In the next week I'll get installed in my truck and running off my second battery and see how long it will run in the Florida heat on those settings off a 138ah lithium battery. I eventually plan to charge that battery with my truck's alternator and a 100W solar panel.

Ironman 4x4 Ice Cube dual-zone, twin compartment off-road fridge and freezer 65L powered cooler