To clean the engine compartment or not? Your thoughts?

• HTML tutorial

RubiVaughn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Nevada, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Vaughn
Member #

I’ve heard mixed reviews

My jeeps engine and compartment is filthy and I’m seeing the temp gauge is reflecting a little warmer than normal

Do you clean yours?

What recommendations does anyone have?

Thank you

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I used Gunk foam engine cleaner for my truck. I watched a couple of YouTube videos to build up the courage to do it. They make it look so freakin easy and safe. But I was hecka scared to fry my engine and electrical components. I covered them as suggested, but still... Good luck with it.

RubiVaughn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Nevada, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Vaughn
Member #

Roarin

Thanks for the advice

I’ve done it a couple of times since 2006, but the more I wheel it the more caked on the granite dust etc adds up. Plus it’s been a great year for water crossings

Thanks again

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Roarin

Thanks for the advice

I’ve done it a couple of times since 2006, but the more I wheel it the more caked on the granite dust etc adds up. Plus it’s been a great year for water crossings

Thanks again
No problemo. Sounds like you'd need to house down the caked on stuff with a hose, then go over it with like Simple Green or some type of pre-degreaser before using something like Gunk foam?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Don't worry about washing your engine. I wash my engine off every week when I wash the vehicle. If it couldn't get wet, you couldn't drive it when it rained. When I power wash mine, I don't spray directly into connectors and my Cruiser still has a distributer so I watch that. If I accidentally spray the distributer, I pop the cap and wipe it out. Indirect spray is fine.

I absolutely hate dirty engine compartments. I use Gunk if its bad and warm the engine up before I do. Depending on how old the grease is will depend on how much Gunk will remove each time. Be careful with simple green if you buy the concentrate. If you don't dilute it enough, it will discolor aluminum (guess how I know this).

L2828

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas
First Name
LEE
Last Name
WILLIAMS
Just lead with I am a ASE master and GM master. I wash all engine compartments all the time. Also, not high pressure. Just a good water hose with a good nozzle. Not the pressure washer.

Reactions: smritte

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Just lead with I am a ASE master and GM master
Cool GM. I started with them in 79. Mostly Chevrolet and Cad. 15A and Drivability/Smog. Finished my degree and started teaching in 06. Still miss the shop life.

Last edited:

RubiVaughn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Nevada, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Vaughn
Member #

Don't worry about washing your engine. I wash my engine off every week when I wash the vehicle. If it couldn't get wet, you couldn't drive it when it rained. When I power wash mine, I don't spray directly into connectors and my Cruiser still has a distributer so I watch that. If I accidentally spray the distributer, I pop the cap and wipe it out. Indirect spray is fine.

I absolutely hate dirty engine compartments. I use Gunk if its bad and warm the engine up before I do. Depending on how old the grease is will depend on how much Gunk will remove each time. Be careful with simple green if you buy the concentrate. If you don't dilute it enough, it will discolor aluminum (guess how I know this).
Like your go for it attitude. Appreciate the advice

Thanks for checking in

Saturday and the drive way are gonna see some dirty water and gunk

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I dealt with electrical and what's called drivability in the field. Got to see first hand what it takes for water intrusion. I'm very OCD about electrical in my vehicles.

GoldenStateAdv

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lompoc, Ca
Member #

Having been both a mechanic and a detailer and I can agree with the above posts. TYPLICALLY cleaning a engine compartment is ok, being more careful when using a pressure washer - however, there are some vehicles that you should be especially careful with more then others (Ford COP setups, Chrysler Hemis, older Volvos come immediately to mind). The main thing to know about engine cleaning/detailing is to make sure your engine is cool, and your paint is cool, to avoid flashing. Also, you want to make sure your dilution ratio on your chemical is acceptable not to flash, but also strong enough to do that work, as you want the chemical to cut through everything and the water just to rinse it away.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I routinely clean my Jeep XJ. The only thing I have to watch out for is the throttle position sensor. They are way to sensitive to moisture. Over on NAXJA.org I have seen dozens crap out due to water. They even have issues if you put in hood vents.

Reactions: Brewbud

RubiVaughn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Nevada, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Vaughn
Member #

Having been both a mechanic and a detailer and I can agree with the above posts. TYPLICALLY cleaning a engine compartment is ok, being more careful when using a pressure washer - however, there are some vehicles that you should be especially careful with more then others (Ford COP setups, Chrysler Hemis, older Volvos come immediately to mind). The main thing to know about engine cleaning/detailing is to make sure your engine is cool, and your paint is cool, to avoid flashing. Also, you want to make sure your dilution ratio on your chemical is acceptable not to flash, but also strong enough to do that work, as you want the chemical to cut through everything and the water just to rinse it away.
Thank you for the advice