Rank III

Enthusiast II

Citrus County, Florida, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Becker
Member #

This question is probably asked a lot, tires. I'm more about them lasting for awhile. Off road terrain can be pretty harsh on tires and I'll be spending a lot of time off the highway. My Avalanche only has a 3 inch lift so I'm not looking to put too awful big on it, just functional

Greayghost

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

There are a lot of factors to address first,
Where do you live? What kind of terrain do you spend most of your time on?
What's your budget?
How much does your vehical weigh? Do you want a specific look?

I run nitto exo grappler on my tow rig, mostly because I needed a good all terrain tire in a 12 ply with the weight capacity. I have been very happy with them. I run the toyo At's on my half ton. Good road manners and gets through the muddy 3.5 miles to get to my house fine.
My overland rig runs toyo mt's, they are noisy, bad on ice, but they do well on dirt and rock. They are also very durable.

I was a bfg guy for a long time, but after going through 3 sets in a year I have decided to venture else where.

bryceCtravels

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
Campbell
Yeah, terrain is going to matter a lot. I run though heavy mud/heavy rain/sand and occasionally snow/ice. I run Falken Wildpeaks and love them. Sometimes a little bit of slip from a stoplight in the rain, but only if I gas it. My father runs Cooper Discovery AT3s XLTs on his 89 YJ. They're insane in the mud/dirt. Loud on the highway. I have ran about 30k miles on my Wildpeaks, probably get 45k by the time they're toast - but I've driven them hard for the past 30k. Pretty quiet on the highway, relatively speaking. BFGs have always been the go-to, I think Wildpeaks are a great rival (and less expensive). I'd recommend them, and of course Cooper Discoverers are a popular choice as well (made in the USA too)

Reactions: SJ.Overland

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack, but I have GoodYear Wrangler AT/S on my truck, which is totally stock other than a leveling kit. I'm not super harsh on my tires and they see paved roads most of the time. But, the times they do go off road, they have never let me down. I replaced the previous set 2 years ago after getting a flat. I figured after 60,000 miles, with plenty of tread left, they did a good job. But, after finding out they were the original tires and lasted 8 years, that impressed me enough that I decided to stick with them.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Don't really need an MT in Fl.

Cooper ST Maxx will do you well.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Yeah, terrain is going to matter a lot. I run though heavy mud/heavy rain/sand and occasionally snow/ice. I run Falken Wildpeaks and love them. Sometimes a little bit of slip from a stoplight in the rain, but only if I gas it. My father runs Cooper Discovery AT3s XLTs on his 89 YJ. They're insane in the mud/dirt. Loud on the highway. I have ran about 30k miles on my Wildpeaks, probably get 45k by the time they're toast - but I've driven them hard for the past 30k. Pretty quiet on the highway, relatively speaking. BFGs have always been the go-to, I think Wildpeaks are a great rival (and less expensive). I'd recommend them, and of course Cooper Discoverers are a popular choice as well (made in the USA too)
I'm a fan of the Falkens too. Currently have the MTs and had the AT3Ws before. Planning on going back to AT3Ws because the MTs are beginning to get very loud with age. However I thought it was interesting that the BFG KO2s were actually cheaper by quite a bit last I looked than the AT3Ws. Like $30 a tire cheaper in the size I'm looking to run.

Reactions: bryceCtravels

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
I have had great luck with the Wrangler Duratrax. They ride well on hardball but give you everything you need on the soft stuff. They air down well, have enough lug on the sidewall to protect them and honestly grip better in mud and snow than I would have thought from an AT. They are wearing well, but somewhat faster than I would like. They are about half way done at 11k miles but then I typically replace early. I am going with Milestar Patagonia M/T when I switch but I bet they won't do as well in the snow as these have done. My truck is dedicated to overlanding so it see's mostly trails, which may be impacting the wear. Hope that helps.

20210717_112525164_iOS (2).jpg