Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I am a truck driver by trade. So good Tires to me are the most important besides a full fuel tank and some good tunes to getcha there..

I am in search of a tire not just any tire..but a real good type.

I have some cooper all terrain tires AT3 dispite rotating them as often as they tell me to. I still have some uneven wear on them I dont like. Good year tires have always held up good for me but I am not a duratrack fan.

Was wondering if you all had some tires youd keep putting on a vehicle ones youd stay away from. Been wanting to go with that good year mtr. But they are pretty heavy Tires. Let know what you all think? That ridge gripper has some good reviews but never had nitto Tires before

ILLFOZZ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego
Member #

I'm on 225/65r17 BFG KO2s and love them. They're not too loud on the highway, plenty of grip on the road, and definitely perform well for what I've needed off-road, especially aired down a bit. People have complained about premature tire wear/tread life but I have yet to experience that. Good luck with your choice on the next set!IMG_20180912_134251_267.jpg

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
I have Goodyear MT/R on Hummer and Goodyear Silent Armor on jeep, both are outstanding but pricey.

Had Michelins on my SUV they lasted 19000 miles. Had BFG/AT & MT on truck. They were good for 25000 miles. Brushed it off as I live several miles down a rock road. Well they paved it a few years ago, still get 25000 miles from BFG, will never go back.

ILLFOZZ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego
Member #

I have Goodyear MT/R on Hummer and Goodyear Silent Armor on jeep, both are outstanding but pricey.

Had Michelins on my SUV they lasted 19000 miles. Had BFG/AT & MT on truck. They were good for 25000 miles. Brushed it off as I live several miles down a rock road. Well they paved it a few years ago, still get 25000 miles from BFG, will never go back.
Thanks for the insight! I got those set for $160 bucks so I'm ok with 25k miles lol I'll definitely do my research here and online before ordering my next set.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
My next set will be Falken Wildpeak AT3W. They’ve got the mountain snowflake rating and a 55,000 mile warranty. I’ve read many threads with nothing but praise. I’d love a little more aggressive look, but they should be perfect for my 20 mile commute to the ski resort I work at.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

My next set will be Falken Wildpeak AT3W. They’ve got the mountain snowflake rating and a 55,000 mile warranty. I’ve read many threads with nothing but praise. I’d love a little more aggressive look, but they should be perfect for my 20 mile commute to the ski resort I work at.
Thats why I went the cooper that I did had 50k mile wear The ko2 ive never had any luck with. Found the tread rips off pretty easy. The falken tires are pretty good from what ive heard

Reactions: ILLFOZZ

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I had the same experience - BFG ATs only lasted ~25k miles. Same for Goodyear MTRs. I wouldn't buy either tire again. I have a set of Hankook Dynapro ATMs - they have almost 40k miles on them now and still have tons of life left. I expect to get at least another 15-20k miles out of them.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Iv ran Goodyear duratracs for about a year now. I chose them because of the sidewall lugs. I wanted a tire that was halfway between a mud terrain and an all terrain. The tire performs well on road and Offroad. They self clean mud very nicely. They are noisy and they hold pebbles until about 60mph. The biggest downfall and the reason I won’t buy them again is the sidewall. I believe I have the p rated version. It’s not the lt version. But the sidewall is very weak. Rocks tend to shred the sidewalks no matter how carefully I am. Iv gone through 2 tires in the last 6 months in just punctures.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Iv ran Goodyear duratracs for about a year now. I chose them because of the sidewall lugs. I wanted a tire that was halfway between a mud terrain and an all terrain. The tire performs well on road and Offroad. They self clean mud very nicely. They are noisy and they hold pebbles until about 60mph. The biggest downfall and the reason I won’t buy them again is the sidewall. I believe I have the p rated version. It’s not the lt version. But the sidewall is very weak. Rocks tend to shred the sidewalks no matter how carefully I am. Iv gone through 2 tires in the last 6 months in just punctures.
I just shredded an LT aired down to 25psi, so I think they’re weak regardless.

Reactions: tacoclifford

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Ran BFG KO2's on my first JKU in 35's. I only put about 20k on them before I ended up getting another JKU. The KO2's were a nice tire; quiet on the highway(important as it was my daily), good in snow, and a great offroad tire as well.

Currently, I'm running Nitto Trail Grappler's in 35's. They're fantastic off pavement, and in mud, and relatively quiet on the highway for a mud tire. I have about 35k on this set-which I feel is pretty good. What are other's getting?

My next tire, which will probably be fairly soon because I'm putting so many highway miles on my Jeep now, is going to be the Nitto Ridge Grappler. I really like Nitto tires, and they get awesome reviews overall as well. They're not cheap, but everyone loves them. I like the hybrid style of the Ridge Grappler-should be much quieter on the highway, and probably track better as well.

Homeguy

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Calgary, AB
I like my Nitto Ridge-grapplers. I needed something good off road and on road. Something good in mud, rocks, ice and snow. They are 35/ 12.5 /17’s I drive a 2014 JKU. I’ve currently got 60,000 kms on them and about half the tred left.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I like my Nitto Ridge-grapplers. I needed something good off road and on road. Something good in mud, rocks, ice and snow. They are 35/ 12.5 /17’s I drive a 2014 JKU. I’ve currently got 60,000 kms on them and about half the tred left.
How do you like them on the highway? What pressure are you running then? Just curious as I do a lot of highway as well.

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
My tire guy turned me on to Hankook Dynapro ATMs about 2 years ago. They were relatively new at that time, not a lot of reviews available. He based the recommendation on my usage patterns (long distance daily driver in ice and snow, camping, fishing, and occasional challenging off-roading). They have performed just as advertised, and have especially shined in the ice and snow, which lasts many months each year here. Off-road they have performed very well. Perhaps their only weakness being deep slick/wet/slippery mud. But many A/T tires would struggle with that I suppose.

For the price, they represent an excellent value. I have about 25k miles on them, and they still look pretty new, with tons of tread. I rotate them every 5k miles.

I have 2 downsides to them. The first is that like many good A/Ts they get louder with age. At around 20k miles they turned up their volume. I think in a newer vehicle, you would hardly notice. But in an old XJ, you definitely hear them. The 2nd issue is purely aesthetic, in that I wish they had a slightly more aggressive look to match their performance. They look good, but I think with just a little more aggressive look on the sidewalls and shoulder, they could look great.

In terms of value and performance, I should definitely run them again when it is time to replace. There is no functional reason not to. However, I have been itching to try the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Many of my friends have them and like them. I like their slightly more aggressive look. My tire guy has warned me that I may not be as happy with them as the Dynapros considering the large amount of highway miles I drive each day. So I haven't made a decision about it yet.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
My tire guy turned me on to Hankook Dynapro ATMs about 2 years ago. They were relatively new at that time, not a lot of reviews available. He based the recommendation on my usage patterns (long distance daily driver in ice and snow, camping, fishing, and occasional challenging off-roading). They have performed just as advertised, and have especially shined in the ice and snow, which lasts many months each year here. Off-road they have performed very well. Perhaps their only weakness being deep slick/wet/slippery mud. But many A/T tires would struggle with that I suppose.

For the price, they represent an excellent value. I have about 25k miles on them, and they still look pretty new, with tons of tread. I rotate them every 5k miles.

I have 2 downsides to them. The first is that like many good A/Ts they get louder with age. At around 20k miles they turned up their volume. I think in a newer vehicle, you would hardly notice. But in an old XJ, you definitely hear them. The 2nd issue is purely aesthetic, in that I wish they had a slightly more aggressive look to match their performance. They look good, but I think with just a little more aggressive look on the sidewalls and shoulder, they could look great.

In terms of value and performance, I should definitely run them again when it is time to replace. There is no functional reason not to. However, I have been itching to try the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Many of my friends have them and like them. I like their slightly more aggressive look. My tire guy has warned me that I may not be as happy with them as the Dynapros considering the large amount of highway miles I drive each day. So I haven't made a decision about it yet.
I can vouch for the snow performance on the hankooks. We put a set on one of our plow trucks several years ago. After their first use any other truck that needed tires got the ATMs.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Ran BFG KO2's on my first JKU in 35's. I only put about 20k on them before I ended up getting another JKU. The KO2's were a nice tire; quiet on the highway(important as it was my daily), good in snow, and a great offroad tire as well.

Currently, I'm running Nitto Trail Grappler's in 35's. They're fantastic off pavement, and in mud, and relatively quiet on the highway for a mud tire. I have about 35k on this set-which I feel is pretty good. What are other's getting?

My next tire, which will probably be fairly soon because I'm putting so many highway miles on my Jeep now, is going to be the Nitto Ridge Grappler. I really like Nitto tires, and they get awesome reviews overall as well. They're not cheap, but everyone loves them. I like the hybrid style of the Ridge Grappler-should be much quieter on the highway, and probably track better as well.

I think the trail grappler is gonna be my next choice too. The reviews on them are nice and come in the size I want. I live in colorado so its gotta do good in the winter and hear this tire does well

BWSracing

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Reston VA
How are they in the snow and ice in your opinion? I’ve heard mixed reviews.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I havent used them at all, ive heard they are ok. Its a mud tire so its not gonna be the best. I get every tire ive ever owned sipped. Gives that extra grip. Ive used the duratrack from good year and they called that a snow tire.. wasnt a fan of those at all. It was good in powder but hard pack or ice it didnt do well. Id like to try them. Nitto has a ridge grappler? Isnt to old? They say thats a good tire too. I like the normal a/t type tire but want something abit more aggressive and a better side wall.