Santa Barbara, CA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Pickton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6SRP (GMRS WROQ518)
After buying a new 4Runner last year, I fell down a deep, deep rabbit hole in researching tires. I put about 20k highway miles a year on my vehicle as it is a daily driver. I have a long commute. I try to spend two weekends a month in the dirt. I wanted a tire that was capable off-road, reasonable with mileage and one which was comfortable on the pavement. I think that many struggle with this trade off. I settled on a set of C-rated BFG KO2s. I have about 18k miles on them and really think that they are a great tire.

As I gained confidence off-roading, I found myself on more technical terrain. I also have found myself spending more time traveling solo. I began to worry about the durability of the C-rated sidewalls and wanted a stickier tire for some of the obstacles I was traveling over. I purchased a slightly used set of BFG KM3s and their own set of wheels. I really don’t like the KM3s on the highway, but they are truly phenomenal off-road. I’ve done a handful of upgrades on my T4R and believe that this one has had the highest bang-for-for-the-buck. I wish that I’d done it sooner.

I leave the KO2s on for daily driving. Prior to a weekend trip I swap the wheels and in less than 30 minutes I am ready to go with the KM3s. The other benefit to this approach is that my tires get frequently rotated.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Love my KM3s! I work from home and don't drive much so I put up with the noise on non-adventures.

BullNV

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Dayton, NV, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Roach
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
After buying a new 4Runner last year, I fell down a deep, deep rabbit hole in researching tires. I put about 20k highway miles a year on my vehicle as it is a daily driver. I have a long commute. I try to spend two weekends a month in the dirt. I wanted a tire that was capable off-road, reasonable with mileage and one which was comfortable on the pavement. I think that many struggle with this trade off. I settled on a set of C-rated BFG KO2s. I have about 18k miles on them and really think that they are a great tire.

As I gained confidence off-roading, I found myself on more technical terrain. I also have found myself spending more time traveling solo. I began to worry about the durability of the C-rated sidewalls and wanted a stickier tire for some of the obstacles I was traveling over. I purchased a slightly used set of BFG KM3s and their own set of wheels. I really don’t like the KM3s on the highway, but they are truly phenomenal off-road. I’ve done a handful of upgrades on my T4R and believe that this one has had the highest bang-for-for-the-buck. I wish that I’d done it sooner.

I leave the KO2s on for daily driving. Prior to a weekend trip I swap the wheels and in less than 30 minutes I am ready to go with the KM3s. The other benefit to this approach is that my tires get frequently rotated.
Sounds like a perfect plan. Friend of mine has a high performance vehicle and swaps his daily driver tires for a set that he can “burn up” on the weekends.

a12houk

Rank VII

Off-Road Ranger I

Rochester, Washington, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Houk
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRQJ715

I’ve contemplated this idea a few different times…
Maybe one day

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Keep an eye on the usual marketplaces and you’ll find a set of used wheels for $100-200 that you won’t be upset thrashing. I’ve got some light weight street tires for daily use and most road trips that ride and handle exceptionally, and E rated KO2s for heavy hauling and off-roading. No tire sensors in the second set to be beeping at me either.

Reactions: Ubiety