Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Hello all,

Just looking for suggestions on some tires. Recently added a 6 inch lift to my Avalanche. Stock tires are 265/75/17. I want to stay with the rim size. It'll be on the highway a lot to camping destinations but when off road I'll need them to bite
I had cooper discoverer atp on my f150 and they were pretty freaking great off-road.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Hello all,

Just looking for suggestions on some tires. Recently added a 6 inch lift to my Avalanche. Stock tires are 265/75/17. I want to stay with the rim size. It'll be on the highway a lot to camping destinations but when off road I'll need them to bite
In other words, it looks like you missed leg day.
Lots of opinions here. Many folks run KO2s.

Reactions: SSG Becker

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

As a guy that runs on M/Ts... I'll say for MOST Overlanders A/Ts are better. In fact, I wanted A/Ts but with COVID supply issues the only tire I could find in about the size I wanted was the Toyo M/T. As it turns out, it's for the best because it's the only tire in any of the sizes I considered that is an "E" 65psi tire. My rig is ~10k lbs and I air-down to like 35psi and have significant sidewall bulge at that pressure, so I really need a 65psi tire for the highway. Still, if I could get the exact same tire (37x13.5-17") in a Toyo A/TIII it'd be a no-brainer for my next set of tires. According to Toyo's site you can now get a A/TIII in a 37x12.5-17" in an E rated, 65psi tire and it's actually 21lbs per tire lighter - so I"ll be heavily considering it next time.

-TJ

Last edited:

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
May be check out Nitto's Ridge Grappler tire. That comes in a great variety of sizes.

If you have deep pockets, Mickey Thompson makes some awesome A/T's. Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's have a nice tread pattern, but that company tends to hold some controversy. Toyo, Mickey Thompson, and Goodyear are all well-grounded in automotive history.

Inspect the tread patterns closely. Generally you want a tire with big, wide-set blocks, and if it has radial grooves, make sure they are zig-zags and not straight (straight grooves run quieter on the road, but slip much more easily on soft or loose terrain). I would concern yourself primarily with tread pattern and secondarily with the tire construction. Check the weight and speed ratings of course, and if you take rocks and roots often, make sure your sidewalls are thick. Some tires have treads on the shoulders.

My tire shown here is a very aggressive M/T, with reinforced sidewalls. Notice the treaded shoulders. This way, if you're aired down, sinking into soft terrain will increase your traction, rather than diminish it.
Also notice the tread pattern. No straight grooves.

Attachments

SSG Becker

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Citrus County, Florida, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Becker
Member #

As a guy that runs on M/Ts... I'll say for MOST Overlanders A/Ts are better. In fact, I wanted A/Ts but with COVID supply issues the only tire I could find in about the size I wanted was the Toyo M/T. As it turns out, it's for the best because it's the only tire in any of the sizes I considered that is an "E" 65psi tire. My rig is ~10k lbs and I air-down to like 35psi and have significant sidewall bulge at that pressure, so I really need a 65psi tire for the highway. Still, if I could get the exact same tire (37x13.5-17") in a Toyo A/TIII it'd be a no-brainer for my next set of tires. According to Toyo's site you can now get a A/TIII in a 37x12.5-17" in an E rated, 65psi tire and it's actually 21lbs per tire lighter - so I"ll be heavily considering it next time.

-TJ
Definitely getting some ATs. My truck gets a lot of use on the highway. It's going to see a lot of the west this spring. Thanks for the input, I'm looking at them now

Reactions: tjZ06 and DintDobbs

SSG Becker

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Becker
Member #

Hello all,

In other words, it looks like you missed leg day.
Lots of opinions here. Many folks run KO2s.
Haha it looks like toothpics for legs, so so bad it gets parked behind the house

• Haha
Reactions: Sparksalot

SSG Becker

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Becker
Member #

May be check out Nitto's Ridge Grappler tire. That comes in a great variety of sizes.

If you have deep pockets, Mickey Thompson makes some awesome A/T's. Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's have a nice tread pattern, but that company tends to hold some controversy. Toyo, Mickey Thompson, and Goodyear are all well-grounded in automotive history.

Inspect the tread patterns closely. Generally you want a tire with big, wide-set blocks, and if it has radial grooves, make sure they are zig-zags and not straight (straight grooves run quieter on the road, but slip much more easily on soft or loose terrain). I would concern yourself primarily with tread pattern and secondarily with the tire construction. Check the weight and speed ratings of course, and if you take rocks and roots often, make sure your sidewalls are thick. Some tires have treads on the shoulders.

My tire shown here is a very aggressive M/T, with reinforced sidewalls. Notice the treaded shoulders. This way, if you're aired down, sinking into soft terrain will increase your traction, rather than diminish it.
Also notice the tread pattern. No straight grooves.
I like the tread pattern on those

Reactions: DintDobbs

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
Frankly, I would also recommend the Open Country. My Trail Grapplers are extremely aggressive mud tires, and they do not deliver pleasing road performance (no lateral grip, very unstable at high speeds).