Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Depends for me. I run skinny 33s so I'll break down below. Once I go back to a wider tire I'll be able to come back down more.

Road: 39 PSI
Gravel: 32-30 PSI
Dirt/Multi: 30-27 PSI
Rock: ~ 26 PSI
Mud/Sand: 22-20 PSI

Reactions: raburton12

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Hello,

When airing down, what pressure do you all run?

Thanks,
Rob
I usually just go to 20psi if I am airing down. I don’t have beadlocks and I am not an extreme rock crawler or anything so I don’t want to see how low I can go. 20 is a lot smoother than 35 for sure though lol

This is a good question

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

In his book, Shifting into 4WD: The SUV Owner's 4WD Handbook, Harry Lewellyn instructs to lower the air pressure so the sidewall is 75% the height of the correct on-pavement air pressure. Then, record what that air pressure for future reference. I like this approach because it negates the effect of weight of the vehicle and contents which vary as well as tire size.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

So many factors , e rated thick tires on a light rig go down to 8 psi in snow , same tires on a heavy rig 15 psi . Matters so much on terrain/weight /speed of travel / tire construction. Really it’s one of those experiment things . Do a truck test and find out what your street psi is and go from there.

Edit , chalk test not truck test .

Last edited:

raburton12

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Ellijay, Gilmer County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Burton
Member #

Hello,
Awesome, thanks for the info.

Thanks,
Rob
I usually just go to 20psi if I am airing down. I don’t have beadlocks and I am not an extreme rock crawler or anything so I don’t want to see how low I can go. 20 is a lot smoother than 35 for sure though lol

This is a good question

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
That’s a great break down for us newbies. Thanks for the info.
No problem. Obviously like others stated your mileage will vary based on rig, tire size, tire load rating, rig weight and other factors. So I'd suggest using @terryg's suggestion until you dial in your own settings.

Reactions: raburton12

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
So many factors , e rated thick tires on a light rig go down to 8 psi in snow , same tires on a heavy rig 15 psi . Matters so much on terrain/weight /speed of travel / tire construction. Really it’s one of those experiment things . Do a truck test and find out what your street psi is and go from there.

Edit , chalk test not truck test .

The chalk test is gold! I wish I knew about that sooner

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
The chalk test is gold! I wish I knew about that sooner
Yes chalk test is a great one. However if you don't fancy as much trial and error I'd recommend this tool. Tested the cacluation with the chalk test and came out perfect.

1628881454725.png

Reactions: Dusther210

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Jeep Wrangler, 2000# trailer, I run 26psi almost everywhere, if I'll be under 30mph and thru soft sand, over boulders etc for the day, I'll drop to 15psi.
I don't do the rock crawling thing, I avoid mud, I never run thru a stream.
In winter, I chain up.
IMG_0577.jpeg

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
In his book, Shifting into 4WD: The SUV Owner's 4WD Handbook, Harry Lewellyn instructs to lower the air pressure so the sidewall is 75% the height of the correct on-pavement air pressure. Then, record what that air pressure for future reference. I like this approach because it negates the effect of weight of the vehicle and contents which vary as well as tire size.
Interesting; I attempted that method with E rated BFGs. Could never really determine 75% of what? Flat? To the OP, Our wagon, when loaded is at its GVWR 6900lbs +/- and does quite well at 20lbs, down from 36lbs in every sort of terrain one might cover. I aired down to 12lbs only once and aired back up ASAP as it was quite uncomfortable floating like that, along with the possibility of popping a bead. HAVE FUN

Reactions: Dusther210

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I usually go down to 18psi for most roads and rocks for my full sized rig but ive gone down to 10psi in snow and I dont have bead locks i have beadlooks

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

285 70 17 bfg km3, on a 4 door wrangler.
38 psi daily driving
20 psi for trail/fireroad
15 psi for sand, snow, rocks
25 psi for ice

I have been down to 12 psi on sand, tire never popped off the wheel, but i wasn't confident about it.

I do not have beadlocks.

Reactions: Armor_LG

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Interesting; I attempted that method with E rated BFGs. Could never really determine 75% of what? Flat? To the OP, Our wagon, when loaded is at its GVWR 6900lbs +/- and does quite well at 20lbs, down from 36lbs in every sort of terrain one might cover. I aired down to 12lbs only once and aired back up ASAP as it was quite uncomfortable floating like that, along with the possibility of popping a bead. HAVE FUN
I read it as 3/4 of fully inflated. Based on that mine would be ~6 3/8" compared to my 8 1/2" sidewall at full load inflation. I'll do some testing this weekend and report back on what psi that 75% sidewall comes back as.

Reactions: Dusther210 and MOAK

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

Hello,

Thanks,
Rob

Usually 36psi on the road, but 18-24psi on the unpaved roads around here - the washboard/corrugations on most of them are bad enough to pound the heck out of your suspension if you don't drop the tire pressure. (or they get rough enough to warrant the lower pressure for traction)