Tire Pressure: What's the Proper Inflation?

• HTML tutorial

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Is there a formula to find the proper tire pressure for aftermarket tires? Over the years, I've been given different advice.

For example, I owned a '95 Chevy with 35-inch Mud Terrains years ago. One tire shop advised me to maintain the factory pressure listed on the door, even with aftermarket tires. This seemed off, as it was a larger tire than stock, so it would imply that the pressure should be adjusted. Another tire shop recommended that I inflate the tires to the max cold pressure listed by the tire manufacturer since I should follow the guidance of the aftermarket tire manufacturer over the vehicle recommendations.

Years later, I've learned that neither is sound advice when dealing with aftermarket tires. Doing searches on the forum, many people discuss how much to deflate on the trail for different terrain, but what is the proper tire pressure for the road when you go from a 265 to a 285 or 305 tire size?

I understand it is based on the tire load (vehicle weight + cargo) but is there a formula to find the proper tire pressure for aftermarket tires?

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Some tire manufacturers provide load charts you can use to look up tire pressure for a given amount of weight on the tire, but that requires you to know how much weight is on each axle of your truck.

A potentially simpler solution is to do a "chalk test" (Google for details) to determine the air pressure that gives you the most even wear on the tires.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Chalk test is the only real way to get your correct numbers , the same size tire between manufacturers will actually be different sizes so they will all require diffent pressures to run true.
For example on my xterra on 35s I had to run 26psi to get them to run properly.

Reactions: Dilldog

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Some tire manufacturers provide load charts you can use to look up tire pressure for a given amount of weight on the tire, but that requires you to know how much weight is on each axle of your truck.

A potentially simpler solution is to do a "chalk test" (Google for details) to determine the air pressure that gives you the most even wear on the tires.
I looked around for the load charts and found these two calculators, which should be useful for changing tire sizes/ratings on a stock vehicle.

For example, my truck's stock tires are P275/70/R18 and the previous owner installed LT275/70/R18 tires. Going from a passenger-rated tire at 36 psi. to light truck tire adjusted the proper inflation.

The first calculator from tirepressure.com states that my new tire pressure with the LT tires is 50psi.

The second calculator from tiresize.com states that my new pressure with the LT tires is 46psi.

It appears that each calculator is doing the math differently, but in either case they would be underinflated by 10-14psi. if I ran the LT tires at the door jam recommended pressure of 36.

I think the load charts will be necessary for a modified vehicle. Once you add armor, racks, jerry cans, etc., knowing the weight on each tire/axel would be more important. Finding the weight on each axle could be done at a truck stop's CAT scale.

And as you & @Smileyshaun both mentioned, a chalk test could be used to verify the new pressure.

Thanks for the help.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I looked around for the load charts and found these two calculators, which should be useful for changing tire sizes/ratings on a stock vehicle.

For example, my truck's stock tires are P275/70/R18 and the previous owner installed LT275/70/R18 tires. Going from a passenger-rated tire at 36 psi. to light truck tire adjusted the proper inflation.

The first calculator from tirepressure.com states that my new tire pressure with the LT tires is 50psi.

The second calculator from tiresize.com states that my new pressure with the LT tires is 46psi.

It appears that each calculator is doing the math differently, but in either case they would be underinflated by 10-14psi. if I ran the LT tires at the door jam recommended pressure of 36.

I think the load charts will be necessary for a modified vehicle. Once you add armor, racks, jerry cans, etc., knowing the weight on each tire/axel would be more important. Finding the weight on each axle could be done at a truck stop's CAT scale.

And as you & @Smileyshaun both mentioned, a chalk test could be used to verify the new pressure.

Thanks for the help.
A tire chalk test is going to give you much lower TP than your on-line calculators. Almost ever rig I've done the chalk test on came up 4-6 psi under oem recommeended.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I've always just eventually figured it out over time.... my compass ( witch very rarely sees trails but does from ime to time) I run at 32psi front and 35 psi rear which is what it says on the door... my TJ runs best at 28 psi on road and 6psi offroad. I ran a higher pressure with my last set of tires because they were a heavier tire... it really depends on a lot of things.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
A tire chalk test is going to give you much lower TP than your on-line calculators. Almost ever rig I've done the chalk test on came up 4-6 psi under oem recommeended.
Not surprising, the OEMs probably give a slightly higher PSI spec to improve fuel millage and handling.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
Chalk test is generally regarded as the best method.

I don't care that much, and run 35 PSI in all my trucks on-road, and air down to anywhere between about 10 and 25 for the extreme off-road fun.

I tackled loose sand in my 2nd-gen Explorer on highway tires at 35 PSI and didn't get stuck or bogged down anywhere, even when better outfitted vehicles with superior tires sank. So consider that the ideal pressure changes depending on not only tire size and weight on the relevant axle, but ultimately on where you are driving the vehicle.

And please, once you've decided on your on-road pressure... don't forget to rotate your tires at least every 5,000 miles.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
A lot of those pressures seem a little low for on-road. Low pressures can cause heat buildup in the tyre walls, which causes damage and blowouts.

You could use the temperature pressure test, which compensates for loads. Note this is about safety and non necessarily optimising tyre wear.

Take your fully-loaded vehicle.
Have tyres inflated to near recommended pressure whilst cold (not used for several hours).
Drive on the highway for 1 hour.
Measure the pressure with a gauge.
If the pressure has increased by more than 10%, your pressure is too low.
If the pressure has increased by less than 10%, your pressure is too high.

Driving with deflated tyres off-road is usually done slowly, so the heat doesn't build up as much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dilldog and TRT87