Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fullerton, CA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Barnard
Member #

Heading out of town and was hoping I can get some info on tire pressure, my tires are rated at 65 max PSI but I run them at 40 PSI. I'm hoping to get the best gas mileage I can, what's your thought on tire PSI for a long road trip. Thanks your taking time to reply.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Heading out of town and was hoping I can get some info on tire pressure, my tires are rated at 65 max PSI but I run them at 40 PSI. I'm hoping to get the best gas mileage I can, what's your thought on tire PSI for a long road trip. Thanks your taking time to reply.
on my KM2's i run 40 in the rear and 38 in front on the highway, around town if it works out I run a little less. The ride gets really bad above 40 and I'm not sure how the tire wear is.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Ko2's I run 35 psi on the street, and most times run 18 off road. If your load is at the max I would run higher. But remember wash board roads will blow out your shocks if you leave the psi high, Exp. is the road out to the "Racetrack", Many a vehicle have hand grenade their shocks on it!

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Looking at your profile pic I think those look like KO2's. I'm on my 2nd set of KO2's on my '99 FJ 100 LandCrusier. Used KO's before that and before that the plain old TA/AT all totaling around 340,000 mi.

36 psi on the road. 20psi for washboard and it flies like the wind. I get 15 mpg on the highway and 11 mpg 'round town. And I completely agree with @9Mike2 regarding the drive to the Racetrack in DV. I've had the FJ100 out there a couple of times and other long washboard road out there (e.g. Saline, Eureka Dunes). 20psi works great for me.

I'll air up to 40 - 60 if I'm towing something with a heavy tongue weight or I'm really loaded down depends on the weight.

It's a good question! I'm still getting the feel for my tires on my 4Runner. It came with brand new Goodyears so it's tough to just change 'em out. I miss my BFGs....

evomike

Rank III

Advocate II

so much of this relies on vehicle weight, there are some references out there online but its gonna take experimenting to figure out what pressure works best for your rig.

Reactions: Cort and 9Mike2