Launch Member

Traveler I

Wheatland, WY
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I have the E rated and in rocks at 25psi on my 2003 Ford Expedition they are getting pretty thrashed. Not only the sidewalls, but also the tread blocks. Lots of cuts, notches, and half gone tread blocks.

Like I said, they are noisy on the road, but I agree they do not overtake conversation... they are just annoying when I drive down the road and want quiet time to think...

I have Toyo Open Country A/T on my 2006 F150. They are nice and quiet. They do great in dry, wet, and snow. I haven’t spent time on them offroad so I can’t speak to that... they are showing some weather cracking between the tread blocks, which is odd.

Next I really want to try General Grabbers like the Expedition Overland guys use... regardless of General sponsoring the show, they can afford to buy any tires they want to travel the world, and they chose those...

James
I’ve thought about General x3. They look like a good hybrid tire. Doing research they don’t seem that expensive. The AT2 is not crazy expensive. They might be worth a look.

Not really a fan of the Duratracs. My son has some and likes them. Just something about them I don’t like.

I think the Toyo is too expensive. Some really nice tires. If I could afford them I’d try them.

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I’ve thought about General x3. They look like a good hybrid tire. Doing research they don’t seem that expensive. The AT2 is not crazy expensive. They might be worth a look.

Not really a fan of the Duratracs. My son has some and likes them. Just something about them I don’t like.

I think the Toyo is too expensive. Some really nice tires. If I could afford them I’d try them.
The X3 are really good, said something about them before. The grabber atx is almost like a ko2 with more grip in mud and generally more grippy.
I would have bought them but they are not available here.

Reactions: 307 Expedition

Btiller16

Rank 0

Contributor I

I just put some new Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP tires on the Tacoma. It’s their brand new hybrid tire they just realeased about a month or so ago. They’ve been on for less than a week but I’ve loved them so far! Incredible deal on tire buyer right now too.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

So… I found out my Goodyear Dura tracks are wearing terribly. Cupping on the front end, and balding quite a bit on the inside. I do not think it is the tires fault, I think it was probably not aligned as I requested. May try a different alignment shop next time. This is probably why my tires are noisy, and everyone else’s are quiet. Just wanted to update this so I didn’t give the tires a bad reputation.

James

307 Expedition

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Wheatland, WY
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Adams
Member #

So… I found out my Goodyear Dura tracks are wearing terribly. Cupping on the front end, and balding quite a bit on the inside. I do not think it is the tires fault, I think it was probably not aligned as I requested. May try a different alignment shop next time. This is probably why my tires are noisy, and everyone else’s are quiet. Just wanted to update this so I didn’t give the tires a bad reputation.

James
That’s a good tip. With all of the suspension work we do proper alignment and balance is key.

Reactions: MazeVX

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

I run falken wildpeak at3w, nothing but good stuff to say about them. They are not heavy, work well in every condition I have put them in, and are very affordable. Best value in my opinion.

307 Expedition

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Wheatland, WY
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Well... i paid for proper alignment according to what the lift kit manufacturer recommended... not sure what is going on...

James
A bad batch of tires or the alignment was not performed to standards. I’d definitely use a different shop for alignment.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I just switched over from Nitto Trail Grapplers(35x12.5x18) to the Nitto Ridge Grappler in the same size-these are more of a hybrid tire vs. a full mud tire like the Trail. I got about 40k out of the Trails, and they were a great tire on the trails. I commute a lot in my Jeep to work and the Trails were actually not bad on highway either, but not great obviously.

The Ridge's are MUCH smoother, and quieter, on the highway. It's actually quite surprising to me how much nicer they ride. Just put them on last week so haven't had a chance to get them off pavement, but will soon hopefully. All of the reviews I read were very positive for the Ridge's.

307 Expedition

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Wheatland, WY
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I just switched over from Nitto Trail Grapplers(35x12.5x18) to the Nitto Ridge Grappler in the same size-these are more of a hybrid tire vs. a full mud tire like the Trail. I got about 40k out of the Trails, and they were a great tire on the trails. I commute a lot in my Jeep to work and the Trails were actually not bad on highway either, but not great obviously.

The Ridge's are MUCH smoother, and quieter, on the highway. It's actually quite surprising to me how much nicer they ride. Just put them on last week so haven't had a chance to get them off pavement, but will soon hopefully. All of the reviews I read were very positive for the Ridge's.
Nice. After you hit the trail let me know what you think.

Reactions: sabjku

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Well... i paid for proper alignment according to what the lift kit manufacturer recommended... not sure what is going on...

James
What size lift do you have? Also, there is no single "proper alignment". Alignments are combinations of multiple variables. I don't know a lot about them, but I do know that different shops, even different techs do alignments differently, and a lot of them don't do much. This applies to stock vehicles without any changes. When you lift a vehicle, specs of a lift kit or vehicle manufacturer may not be enough to ensure your alignment is dead on. I've seen spec sheets that looked fine to me, but people more knowledgable than me were able to point out why that alignment actually was NOT great, even though it technically met specs.

My only point? if you're not happy, take it back. If they can't get it right, find a new shop. Talk alignment specifics and ask what should be adjusted to deal with your specific problem, you'll find a lot of shops aren't even willing to try to dial in an alignment past "stock specs". Get printouts of before and after alignment numbers.

Also, as an aside, tire pressure and regular tire rotations, even driving habits and average load size in your vehicle all have an effect on tire wear. The chalk test is a great way to ensure your tire pressure is correct for your vehicle setup and weight.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I check tire pressures very often, and am good with rotations. I did have a before print out that the lift manufacturer recommended, 2.75 inch lift by the way, and the tire shop gave me after printouts. Not sure what is going on. I drove it today after the tire rotation and the steering is much lighter and the noise is gone in the front. I can hear some noise outside the window toward the back, probably from the poor wearing rear tires back there now.

James

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

I've got Cooper Discoverer AT3s on my wk2. I've only took it into minor slop and sand as far as off roading is concerned and they did great. No howl except for at 35mph and even then I don't hear it over the radio

307 Expedition

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Wheatland, WY
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I've got Cooper Discoverer AT3s on my wk2. I've only took it into minor slop and sand as far as off roading is concerned and they did great. No howl except for at 35mph and even then I don't hear it over the radio
I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks.