• HTML tutorial

Eben Botha

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Dubai
Member #

Hi guys,

I'm always keen to find/figure out new ways to pack to my vehicle more efficiently so when preparing for a quick trip there's minimal effort to get going!

One of the ways I've done this is by keeping a box at home that is always packed with the essentials for preparing meals/eating. This however was a standard plastic box and was quite frustrating to keep everything organised. So I decided to build my own :)

This was made from the wood of an old IKEA bookrack that I wasn't using anymore and has utensils for 6, a slot for my grill at the bottom and all bbq utensils/spices, portable stove with extra gas, pots and pans etc.

Some pictures -
DSC_0885.JPG
DSC_0883.JPG
Would love to hear what other stuff you have done - whether it's for carrying water or storage solutions.

Eben

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Polaris Overland what do you store in your trays?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Hi JPZimbo
In the pull out drawer I have tea and coffee making bits and pieces including small kettle, pots and cups plus a gas cooker.
The main kitchen is in the trailer and this includes the Coleman Stove but for short trips the drawer unit works good on its own. I can fit the Coleman unit in the drawer if needed.
This is also good for during the day to make a brew for lunch etc.
The 47L ARB Fridge always stays in the Defender and I have fitted Anderson Connectors as I found the Cigarette sockets too flimsy and loose.
The Plano Box is a new idea to avoid lots of little boxes and has Tool Rolls, Air Compressor and Recovery Equipment in it plus anything else we need to find a place to live. It also gives us a flat stable lid to put our clothes bag on. Bedding goes in a cargo net hanging from the roof. Chairs and table slide in for short trips. Longer trips they go in the Trailer.
Everything else goes in the trailer.

Eben Botha

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Dubai
Member #

I love stuff like this.
Ho-made, purpose built for how you want it, and as a bonus- re-purposed Ikea furniture!

Just be sure it gets secured in your rig so it doesn't self-destruct or become lethal.

Most excellent.

Sent from my SM-T350 using OB Talk mobile app
Thanks bud! It is pretty heavy as is (the downside of using wood I guess) but yeah I strap it down when going on trips.

Sent from my E6833 using OB Talk mobile app

JPZimbo

Rank 0

Contributor II

Hi JPZimbo
In the pull out drawer I have tea and coffee making bits and pieces including small kettle, pots and cups plus a gas cooker.
The main kitchen is in the trailer and this includes the Coleman Stove but for short trips the drawer unit works good on its own. I can fit the Coleman unit in the drawer if needed.
This is also good for during the day to make a brew for lunch etc.
The 47L ARB Fridge always stays in the Defender and I have fitted Anderson Connectors as I found the Cigarette sockets too flimsy and loose.
The Plano Box is a new idea to avoid lots of little boxes and has Tool Rolls, Air Compressor and Recovery Equipment in it plus anything else we need to find a place to live. It also gives us a flat stable lid to put our clothes bag on. Bedding goes in a cargo net hanging from the roof. Chairs and table slide in for short trips. Longer trips they go in the Trailer.
Everything else goes in the trailer.
Thanks for all that info. I've often thought of trying a removable flat box for my Prado as the rear seats get used time to time. Trick is finding a light enough but tough enough material that's secure. Mmmm. Food for thought.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Thanks for all that info. I've often thought of trying a removable flat box for my Prado as the rear seats get used time to time. Trick is finding a light enough but tough enough material that's secure. Mmmm. Food for thought.

Yes when your overland truck is also a run about its difficult. I removed all the rear seats out of my Defender and it only takes 2. I have a Discovery 3 7 seater for visitors otherwise I could not do things as I have.
I know there are companies that do a tie down version of drawer units for Disco 3 that can be just unclipped. Not sure with others but being as you have a Prado I would look at the Australian market for ideas and inspiration.
Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Having a 2Dr Jeep I bring much from my motorcycle camping with me. Travel light. Bring one quality item and a good backup is better than bringing 5 just in case. Just add food and drink. obtw there are 4 "sleeping bags", tent, tarp, chair, kitchen, fuel, and a mattress here. Not shown are flashlight, clothes, sundries, hatchet, knife, lighter, and a water bag. Good link below.
http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products/8-motorcycle-camping-gear-essentials-for-under-300/

UtahOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Heber City, UT
Member #

Hi guys,

I'm always keen to find/figure out new ways to pack to my vehicle more efficiently so when preparing for a quick trip there's minimal effort to get going!

One of the ways I've done this is by keeping a box at home that is always packed with the essentials for preparing meals/eating. This however was a standard plastic box and was quite frustrating to keep everything organised. So I decided to build my own :)

This was made from the wood of an old IKEA bookrack that I wasn't using anymore and has utensils for 6, a slot for my grill at the bottom and all bbq utensils/spices, portable stove with extra gas, pots and pans etc.

Some pictures -
View attachment 13584
View attachment 13583
Would love to hear what other stuff you have done - whether it's for carrying water or storage solutions.

Eben
That's a great setup. I have a 2 door Rubicon. Organizing is critical due to the lack of space. No roof rack yet. That's going to help. I'm usually by myself so I just have an ultra light backpack. Winter adds additional challenges. Part of the Overland experience.

Sent from my SM-N920V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Luis Merlo