Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Being a fabricator and a tightwad, I built my own roof rack but wanted to hang a high lift on it. Here is what I came up with. I took a hockey puck and drilled a hole in it for a bolt, then sliced it perpendicular and made two half moon pieces. A bolt through or welded to what every you are wanting to mount to, with the puck over it and a hold down nut is all you need. A already formed nut with a handle works even better. You cinch it down and you will have a sturdy and no rattle solution.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Just remember to coat your jack with oil/grease more often that I did, or it will end up rusting. I used a radiator clamp to hold the handle up. They make some neat ones with a thumb nut so you can do it without any tools. It is also a nice spare to have in an emergency.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Hey @old_man (This might be the only time I can say that without insulting somebody... :laughing: :sunglasses: )

I like ingenuity, this is good. Almost zero cost. :thumbsup:

A couple thoughts, you touched on one - keep it lubed up! Rust is the enemy.
Are hockey pucks UV resistant? Or will they fall apart after their time in the sun and need to be replaced frequently?
How do you lock your jack to keep honest people honest?
I mounted my jack similarly to the outside of my rack until I was driving through a pretty dense wooded area and caught a thick branch and it nearly ripped my jack from my rack! After that I moved it to the inside of the rack.

Your signature doesn't have a roof rack, is this a before or after shot?, Nice looking XJ and trailer by the way.

Dan.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Life happens. Things got tight some years ago and I sold it. I have all the materials in the shop but I really don't need it anymore.

The pucks hold up well but they are only a buck a piece. Never had anybody steal the jack but you could easily drill a hole across the end of the bolt and put a lock through it. You could also use a short cable lock like for a bike.

Gary Bzzz

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder, CO
Member #

Being a fabricator and a tightwad, I built my own roof rack but wanted to hang a high lift on it. Here is what I came up with. I took a hockey puck and drilled a hole in it for a bolt, then sliced it perpendicular and made two half moon pieces. A bolt through or welded to what every you are wanting to mount to, with the puck over it and a hold down nut is all you need. A already formed nut with a handle works even better. You cinch it down and you will have a sturdy and no rattle solution.

fantastic idea

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

That is genius; scarcity creates ingenuity!

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Hey @old_man (This might be the only time I can say that without insulting somebody... :laughing: :sunglasses: )

I mounted my jack similarly to the outside of my rack until I was driving through a pretty dense wooded area and caught a thick branch and it nearly ripped my jack from my rack! After that I moved it to the inside of the rack.
Dan.
I have seen people hang up their rack and rip it off the vehicle with significant damage. Your point is something people should think about.

The hockey puck solution works well for many things such as Mat tracks.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Remember the old saying "necessity is the mother of invention"???? My version is "necessity is a mother".

Reactions: Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I used to have a hi lift on a rack on my jeep. Now it’s inside the bed rail under a shell on the new truck. When I had it outside I used nylon lock nuts to secure it and had the appropriate wrench in the glove box. My theory was that it’d at least slow someone down from stealing it and if I needed it, I was probably in enough of a bad spot that a few extra minutes wasn’t going to matter to me. If I lived in a city I’d probably go with the lock method. I like the hockey puck idea for mounting stuff. I was born and raised in California though and have only seen pictures of them!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: VCeXpedition

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
If you check out the shock isolated off road swivel hitch in my build thread for my off road teardrop, you will see that I used hockey pucks for the isolation. They are great building blocks for a bunch of things.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I try to keep as much weight off my Jeep as possible, so I mounted mine on the side of my trailer, but that requires you to have a trailer. Originally it was mounted on the rear stock bumper of my Jeep using the Hi-Lift mounting kit until I replaced the bumper with a swingout tire carrier. I utilized the same mounting kit on the trailer.

08F288AF-9B18-45AE-A330-4BAE01184EEC.jpeg

Reactions: old_man