louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Yeah, there are at least a billion forums, threads, and posts about tiny cabins and such, but I'm curious about how that would work if related to overlanding. Long story made short, the wife and I like to travel a good bit and there are certain areas that we really enjoy and like to stay at for extended periods of time. The way things are now, a lot of the campgrounds we stayed at are super full with some requiring reservations way ahead of time. So, a simple comment about "I wish we had our own place here" has led to the possibility of building a small cabin in an area we like.

We have an island in our back yard and the wife thought it would be fun to build a small a-frame type cabin on it for friends and family to stay in for a real "swamp experience". We have a finished apartment behind the house for guests, but this seems like it would be more fun. I just started a few days ago and have some of the framing up. It will be interesting to see how it turns out and if others enjoy it. This project has led me to thinking about getting a small lot in an area we like and building a small cabin. I figure the small cabin will take the place of us staying in a campground and it could also be used by friends and acquaintances as a pit stop when they travel. I'm looking at north Arkansas for one and maybe another outside of Durango.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this idea or has already done it. I'm not looking to rent it or make money off of it, I want it for me and people that I know who travel and might enjoy having it as a pit stop. It would be cool if others have something like this and we can share staying at each others place.

Its going to be moderately finished and I'm going to run it off solar instead of running a line to it so I can practice setting up off-grid.

IMG_2174.JPG

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I like the concept, that's how I ended up with a place in AK (that I now can't drive to).

I've been shopping N.Idaho, Colorado,Arkansas and a few others for 5-10 acre sites to use as landing pads. It seems the urban diaspora fleeing self imposed economic and social issues that they themselves created have driven the price of real estate into the "That's just stupid" territory.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Good to hear positive feedback. I'll post a few more pics as progress progresses.
I know this isnt a small cabin forum, so I'll keep it brief, but I can give a few ideas on build and cost for anyone interested. So far in the pic, I have a 12x12 raised deck and the a-frame rafters up. Right under $800. We're meeting up with some OB members in July to do the WABDR and it will cost right at $1000 in just fuel to get from New Orleans to Stevenson, WA one way. So, by the time we're done with that trip, I will spend close to half of what the cabin will cost. Looking at it in that perspective, the cabin build really isnt a bad deal. Besides, the cabin should hold or go up in value, so selling it later should be break even or maybe even a little profit.

Anyway, the whole point of this is Overland related and how we can help each other as a community. Once I have the cabin done, any OB member has an open invite to use it. The swamps are pretty interesting and all, but there is little camping down here and motel rooms are crazy high. Maybe having a decent and safe place to camp for free would open up some travel for folks interested in seeing this area. I'm an hour from New Orleans, so you could stay here and go see the city during the day and and then hurry back before the freaks come out at night there. Unless you like freaky...then Bourbon Street at 1am is perfect! :grinning:

If other members in other areas have the same idea, then maybe we can all help each other out by offering places to stay in areas that have little to no camping or have very high motel rates. With gas prices going crazy and campgrounds getting harder and harder to book and everything else travel related going nuts, maybe we as an Overland community can use our numbers to help each other.

This whole forum is about helping others travel, so....

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Not that mid-state South Carolina compares with Idaho, etc., but I thought about letting these guys set up a few glamping site on a nice, secluded property I have.

If I were around enough and needed the money and wanted to deal with it it might be a good deal. I just don't feel like opening it up to the general public and all the implications, liabilities, responsibilities. (Read: I am too lazy and not motivated). I already have a small cabin that is comfortable for up to four people for short periods. It's fairly close to the interstates for travel convenience.
I think some sort of sharing within a smallish group would be much more appealing to my situation. I will keep and eye on this thread and see what the prevailing sentiment is.

Attachments

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

We bought 30 acres of woods 23 years ago thinking we might build/move on it someday. 2 days later the wife learned she was pregnant. That kid just graduated college.

In the meantime we did build a small cabin on the cheap, as we were always broke. Don't camp there much, but we go there nearly every day, it's like owning your own State Park.

Great idea, and a damned good investment.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
That’s a great idea, I’ve often thought had I stayed on the farm I would have done this out on the back pasture, on a bluff overlooking the lake I grew up on. As it is, I have a small barn in my backyard that I’ve often considered building a bunkhouse up top with kitchen & bath, just for family, friends, and fellow travelers.
2A3930B2-D9E7-49F6-9A72-F14238580DC3.jpeg

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
We jokingly call one my buddies a "land baron" as he has been buying up lots in remote spots for his entertainment and retirement options. Along the lines of sharing we stayed at his one of his places Friday night on our way to a weekend of wonder at Douglas Creek. Good times and a great stop over!

Cabin is looking great!!!

IMG_6807.jpegIMG_6810.jpeg

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

This is a great thread. We have been considering doing something like this for a long time but have yet to pull the trigger on any land that can be used accordingly.

Reactions: Shahn and grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
pretty much have it done now...the wife decided she wanted a clawfoot tub in there, so went to baton rouge and found one at an antique place. she wants to raise up the clear panel wall and enjoy the view while soaking. (very spoiled woman)
well, the little cabin turned out to be real easy and real cheap to do, so definitely looking to do a real one in north arkansas.

IMG_4152.jpg
IMG_4148.jpg
IMG_4142.jpg

Last edited:

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
How hot does it get in there with the lid on?

I am thinking that looks too much like my greenhouse. I am sweating just looking at it.

Can you open up both sides? Get a good cross-breeze?

The simplicity is appealing. Certainly nicer than a tent.

ETA: I do have to say I am jealous of a guy who has his own private island with a chalet on it.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
How hot does it get in there with the lid on?

I am thinking that looks too much like my greenhouse. I am sweating just looking at it.

Can you open up both sides? Get a good cross-breeze?

The simplicity is appealing. Certainly nicer than a tent.

ETA: I do have to say I am jealous of a guy who has his own private island with a chalet on it.
yeah, it can get hot. i have the back vented and installed a 12v fan and have a crank out window on the end. its definitely for evenings and cooler temps.
we have a detached apartment next to the house that is air conditioned for guests. if i needed the cabin to be for sleeping, i would just redesign it a bit and insulate it and
run a small ac unit in there.
youd be surprised how many fishing camps are all around here in the swamps...many are only accessible by boat and a good bit of them dont have power

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
youd be surprised how many fishing camps are all around here in the swamps...many are only accessible by boat and a good bit of them dont have power
My Cajun queen wife's family has a camp just like that; though we hear that a lot of the island that it is on has disappeared with the storms of the last few years.

Reactions: Shahn and grubworm

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

earlier this year i got a small piece of land in a village near my home town (now I live like 2200 km from it ), where i plan to build a small house for retirement. But my wife also wants to install some kind of tepee tent on a wooden platform, with a full king size bed inside of it. The yard would be huge, at least by European standards and we plan to ofer 2-3 spots for overlanders who will want to stop there .

But that is like pretty far in to the future, still 12 years to go till I can retire, unless I struck gold or something like that :)

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
My Cajun queen wife's family has a camp just like that; though we hear that a lot of the island that it is on has disappeared with the storms of the last few years.
yeah, its bad. i moved here in '92 to work offshore and a lot of deep water jobs were 100+ miles out in the Gulf, so we had to go to the port of fourchon and fly helicoptors out to the rigs. the highway that i used to take there is gone and underwater now.
i might end up fabricating some pontoons for my little cabin.... :grinning:

1657453496797.png

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
In the bicycle touring world there is a website called “Warm Showers”. It is pretty much a list of hosts that offer their property for travelers to stop and camp, get a warm shower and possibly even a meal at little or no cost. We could start something similar here on OB. I have heard and seen of other people offering their place up as a safe haven to other members traveling.

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

In the bicycle touring world there is a website called “Warm Showers”. It is pretty much a list of hosts that offer their property for travelers to stop and camp, get a warm shower and possibly even a meal at little or no cost. We could start something similar here on OB. I have heard and seen of other people offering their place up as a safe haven to other members traveling.
I've thought along these lines a handful of times, I'd love to see it come to fruition and participate in such a program! Great idea, Mike!