Virginia Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Charles City, VA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRCJ633
In a jeep club there. MPJAI. We all camp. Meet at dunkin doughnuts every sat jefferson and denby newport news 10 to noonish. Stop by see us. Ask for virginia overlander they well know who ya mean

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
What is your overland vehicle choice? QUOTE]
I just got the first 4wd I have owned in many years.

A 2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 that I don't plan on completely trashing... but do plan on introducing my kids to the great outdoors with. I want to show them the outer banks, the Appalachia, the Rockies, Moab, Alaska, and everything in between. Got to keep it reliable as I want to still be driving it for the next 20 to 30 years. I also commute an hour each way every day. lol

I have spent some time with personal 4wd vehicles back in the day... and then for 6 years when I was in the Army working as a 63B.

These days I work on aircraft avionics. Getting good at installing wiring that will survive high vibrations and salt. lol

Virginia Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Charles City, VA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRCJ633
I just got the first 4wd I have owned in many years.

A 2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 that I don't plan on completely trashing... but do plan on introducing my kids to the great outdoors with. I want to show them the outer banks, the Appalachia, the Rockies, Moab, Alaska, and everything in between. Got to keep it reliable as I want to still be driving it for the next 20 to 30 years. I also commute an hour each way every day. lol

I have spent some time with personal 4wd vehicles back in the day... and then for 6 years when I was in the Army working as a 63B.

These days I work on aircraft avionics. Getting good at installing wiring that will survive high vibrations and salt. lol
Wiring to survive vibrations and salt. Try working on boats for 15 years. Its my specialty. Im Ken drive a 2018 JK Wrangler. I know some mild trails but you might get pinstriped from small branches

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Wiring to survive vibrations and salt. Try working on boats for 15 years. Its my specialty. Im Ken drive a 2018 JK Wrangler. I know some mild trails but you might get pinstriped from small branches
Good Day Ken! My name is Marty

That is the downside of living somewhere that gets good rain. Lots of pinstripes to be had... even for midsized vehicles. I have seen a lot of bedlined trucks in the area I live. I may get a vehicle wrap at some point. I did pick a white for more than one reason. Pinstripes do tend to be hidden on a white vehicle.

What region has some good trails with OTG tent camping?

Virginia Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Charles City, VA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRCJ633
Good Day Ken! My name is Marty

That is the downside of living somewhere that gets good rain. Lots of pinstripes to be had... even for midsized vehicles. I have seen a lot of bedlined trucks in the area I live. I may get a vehicle wrap at some point. I did pick a white for more than one reason. Pinstripes do tend to be hidden on a white vehicle.

What region has some good trails with OTG tent camping?
Up near herrisonburg there is flagpole knob and Peter's mill run witch is an official jeep badge of honor trail. Bald mountain is up there as well. I have not been yet but all my friends have.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Up near herrisonburg there is flagpole knob and Peter's mill run witch is an official jeep badge of honor trail. Bald mountain is up there as well. I have not been yet but all my friends have.
I will look them up and do some research. Thank you.

Hello Kevin108!

Edit: I just subscribed to your YouTube channel!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin108

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Wow, thanks! Sadly, I haven't been able to do much with it because, as you know, it's rained for two months. Hopefully I'll have more soon!

If you need someone to ride along with you to do some exploring feel free to shoot me an invite. I need to take my new 4WD out to get familiar with it and for a shakedown ride or two to make sure I know what upgrades (If any) will be best focused on first. I am kind of a newbie... but not.

I have spent some time doing off road in pretty much every environment except deep sand. All in different vehicles from a Dual Sport to a FMTV truck back when I was in the Army. Pretty mechanically inclined... but not an expert.

I want to set my truck up to do some long distance camping exploring the back country and showing my kids what a beautiful country we live in.