Tidepool Locations Along the Washington Coast?

• HTML tutorial

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I am trying to help out a friend whose wife has never been tidepooling. They are planning a trip to Washington and he would like to try to work this in if possible. My experience in my own neck of the woods says that there are not many good spots. Just anywhere along the coast is not going to cut it.

Does anybody know of a spot they would be willing to share?

PNWInfernoPro

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Kirkland, WA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Dear
Member #

I am trying to help out a friend whose wife has never been tidepooling. They are planning a trip to Washington and he would like to try to work this in if possible. My experience in my own neck of the woods says that there are not many good spots. Just anywhere along the coast is not going to cut it.

Ruby Beach and Second Beach, used to be a great for this. Our recent visit in early Sept did not produce much. It was disappointing but still worth the Coast visit.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Take a look at the Long Beach, Wa. area. You can drive on the beach! If you go south from the Seaview, Wa. beach approach, you can drive South a couple miles to Beards Hollow. Some nice rocks and cliffs stop you form going any further. At low tide, you can see Starfish and more. You do not need an Discovery Pass to drive on the beach. If you have the time and a Discovery Pass, you can go to Ilwaco, Wa. Then follow signs to Cape Disappointment State Park. That is at the mouth of the Columbia River. You cannot drive on the beach there, but lots of great hiking and a rock jetty that goes out a ways into the ocean. Also Two different Lighthouses to check out. Also, a cool interpretive center, has the story of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

One more area that is beautiful, go as far North on the Bay side of the Long Beach Peninsula, up past Oysterville, Wa. The little town is cool, follow signs to Leadbetter State Park. Again, fun place to hike! Hope this helps, Benz.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Take a look at the Long Beach, Wa. area. You can drive on the beach! If you go south from the Seaview, Wa. beach approach, you can drive South a couple miles to Beards Hollow. Some nice rocks and cliffs stop you form going any further. At low tide, you can see Starfish and more. You do not need an Discovery Pass to drive on the beach. If you have the time and a Discovery Pass, you can go to Ilwaco, Wa. Then follow signs to Cape Disappointment State Park. That is at the mouth of the Columbia River. You cannot drive on the beach there, but lots of great hiking and a rock jetty that goes out a ways into the ocean. Also Two different Lighthouses to check out. Also, a cool interpretive center, has the story of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

One more area that is beautiful, go as far North on the Bay side of the Long Beach Peninsula, up past Oysterville, Wa. The little town is cool, follow signs to Leadbetter State Park. Again, fun place to hike! Hope this helps, Benz.

I wish I would have known this information last Fall! This is great, and I actually ended up getting our rental car stuck on Long Beach, but it was my fault and could have been avoided - I thought I had Landcruiser ability but sadly a GMC Terrain is NOT the same.

That said, our experience is along the lines of what @FDear said, we were disappointed and heard that the Sea Stars (I was informed not to call them "Starfish") had some disease but were on their way back to population.

Dan.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

VCeXpeddition,
I lived in the North Coast area for many years. All there by the mouth of The Columbia River. There are caves and old underground bunkers you can have fun and explore if you know where to look. Benz.

One of the best places that is almost gone is about 40 miles South in Oregon. South of The Columbia River that is. Haystack Rock. You follow signs going South from Astoria through Seaside down HWY 101 to Cannon Beach, Or. In Cannon Beach, you will find the Beach approach. You can drive legally on this beach too. Out in front and along the sides of Haystack Rock, are some nice tide pools. This area is filling in with sand, but still good. In Cannon Beach, look for the signs to Acola State Park. The park is great! Remember the movie, Kindergarten Cop? Parts of that movie were filmed there. When you go past the pay booth to get in the park, the road Tees. To the left takes you into the Acola park beaches. If you go Right, that takes you to a favorite beach of mine. The road in is really beautiful, and Indian Beach, is something to see! You also get a good look at Tillamook lighthouse on Tillamook Rock.

Hope this gives you some more options to see some beautiful coastal places. Happy trails, Benz.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Know that spot well! Did you know that in the cliff above you, there is a bunker? You can stand inside it and look down on the spot you are parked! Benz.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Anak
I am trying to help out a friend whose wife has never been tidepooling. They are planning a trip to Washington and he would like to try to work this in if possible.
I'll second Ruby Beach and Second Beach. Was out there in September and had a blast!
Here is a shot I got of a tidepool under the milky way with bio-lumenicent algae churning in the surf.
2ndBeach.jpg

Saw this little sea slug on that trip as well (sorry no banana for scale, it was about the size of a dime :) ):
SeaSlug.jpg

We planned the trip around night photography so the tides / light were not optimal for tidepooling but we still did some.

Boort

PNWInfernoPro

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Kirkland, WA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Dear
Member #

@Anak

I'll second Ruby Beach and Second Beach. Was out there in September and had a blast!
Here is a shot I got of a tidepool under the milky way with bio-lumenicent algae churning in the surf.
View attachment 37988

Saw this little sea slug on that trip as well (sorry no banana for scale, it was about the size of a dime :) ):
View attachment 37991

We planned the trip around night photography so the tides / light were not optimal for tidepooling but we still did some.

Boort
[emoji106]

FredBull

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Olympia WA
Member #

VCeXpeddition,
I lived in the North Coast area for many years. All there by the mouth of The Columbia River. There are caves and old underground bunkers you can have fun and explore if you know where to look. Benz.

One of the best places that is almost gone is about 40 miles South in Oregon. South of The Columbia River that is. Haystack Rock. You follow signs going South from Astoria through Seaside down HWY 101 to Cannon Beach, Or. In Cannon Beach, you will find the Beach approach. You can drive legally on this beach too. Out in front and along the sides of Haystack Rock, are some nice tide pools. This area is filling in with sand, but still good. In Cannon Beach, look for the signs to Acola State Park. The park is great! Remember the movie, Kindergarten Cop? Parts of that movie were filmed there. When you go past the pay booth to get in the park, the road Tees. To the left takes you into the Acola park beaches. If you go Right, that takes you to a favorite beach of mine. The road in is really beautiful, and Indian Beach, is something to see! You also get a good look at Tillamook lighthouse on Tillamook Rock.

Hope this gives you some more options to see some beautiful coastal places. Happy trails, Benz.

x2 on this one. This place is amazing and one of our favorite places to go. Saw my first tide pools in Cannon Beach.