Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I managed to get all of my Overland Badges made up for this trip...

I also played around with a new idea to commemorate our trips...

That last one is a little bit more involved. I had to create the outline of Death Valley and then superimpose our GPS track over it. I then added stars to each of the locations where we camped in the park.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I managed to get all of my Overland Badges made up for this trip...

I also played around with a new idea to commemorate our trips...

That last one is a little bit more involved. I had to create the outline of Death Valley and then superimpose our GPS track over it. I then added stars to each of the locations where we camped in the park.
Wow, Etoimos - very cool. I'd go for the area outline and track, personally, before the tags, but can see the tags being very appealing as well. What's the size on the Death Valley outline?

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Wow, Etoimos - very cool. I'd go for the area outline and track, personally, before the tags, but can see the tags being very appealing as well. What's the size on the Death Valley outline?
Since I was originally doing the plates for trail runs, there were no defined boundaries for the trips and no GPS tacks for the most part. I was also doing 20+ trails a year, so the small, uniformed shape of the plates were nice (I could also cut out a lot from a single sheet of wood since I was giving them out to everyone on the trail run). I don't have the DV map with me right now, but it's about 4-5" tall.

Reactions: kcjoiner and Road

kcjoiner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longview, Washington, United States
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Roy
Member #

Great write up...I almost felt like I was there! You convinced me to ad this trip to my list. I came to appreciate the desert while in the Marines training at 29 Palms and again during my time in Kuwait and Iraq.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Great write up...I almost felt like I was there! You convinced me to ad this trip to my list. I came to appreciate the desert while in the Marines training at 29 Palms and again during my time in Kuwait and Iraq.
Thank you. It really is a trip worth doing, and I think I'll do it again sometime.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Cool, thanks. I need to set aside some time watch your videos at home. Work blocks YouTube and my internet at home is stupid slow :(
Yeah, you need to check them out. I stepped up my game making them. I've never added narration to my videos before, so that was new for me. I've never made an animated map before, so that was new as well. Adobe After Effects and a voice recorder for the win. I didn't have a narration script for the first vid, so my words could have flowed better. I wrote some notes for the second vid and the narration was more polished.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Thanks for sharing. Awesome trip!
Thanks. It was a great trip. I'm trying to plan another trip for the three of us for late summer, I'm thinking maybe Montana this time.