Thoughts on the Go Fast Camper, whether you have one or not.

• HTML tutorial

Tomfxdb

Rank 0

Contributor I

Long Island, New York, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kenedy
Member #

Long story short, I'm close to pulling the trigger on a gfc. I have been thinking about it for a while now, I have for the most part ruled out a regular bed cap with a RTT and trailer type set ups. Work keeps me busy so when I get a chance to go I simply just want to load up and take off.

I like to hear other peoples thoughts and opinions, pros/cons in case someone has a good idea, suggestion, or makes me think of something I haven't yet. So if you have any input I would appreciate it. Thanks!

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

If you're big about size and weight, the GFC is the lightest option of that design on the market and the super thin tent portion gives the best overhead clearance of any RTT option that is above the cab. Problem with that is that it doesn't feel as robust as the Alu-Cab Canopy Camper (as it shouldn't at half the weight) and the thin tent portion means you can fit a sleeping bag and nothing else. Maybe ok for you but I need a pad as a side sleeper to be comfortable and it was annoying enough dealing with that in a soft RTT. Honestly, the mattress panels felt firm to me compared to the Tepui I had at the time but I can imagine that would break in over time.

I think the other big thing I didn't like was that the doors lock but the tent doesn't. It looked like adding a padlock hasp yourself would be an option but the bed of your truck isn't secure if it's as easy as popping a tent and removing a few floor panels to get in there.

For me, if I were dropping the coin on that or the more expensive Alu-Cab options, I'd want to give it a whirl before buying and committing to a 12 month lead time but I also don't feel like bed-tent access is a factor for me on a multi-use rig. Would probably see that differently if I were building something dedicated. I guess worst case scenario you can very likely get your money back from someone not wanting to wait if it doesn't work out.

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
Would using a Megamat Duo sleeping pad to replace the GFC mattress solve the problem? I use one in the Tepui and it is fantastic.
My question for these types of setups is how do you keep the mesquitos out of the tent. It seems like with the side panels or rear of the camper being open, they would have easy access to the tent if the floor panels are open.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

That's was my end-game for the Tepui as well. I'm not sure how it would fit but i feel like mine is still 1-2" thick even fully deflated due to the internal foam. I think it would still be really tight in the GFC... they seriously lacked room and with the extruded aluminum + composite construction, I'm not sure how much I'd want to stress the shell forcing it.

Good point on the bugs though... I have heard complaints that the cracks in the floor can allow drafts in so I can only imagine small bugs might as well.

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
I’m thinking about upgrading to the new Megamat Max Duo 15 from the 10. A full 6” thick! its not much bigger than the 10 when rolled up so I’m thinking it should compress and fit in the Tepui.

Tomfxdb

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kenedy
Member #

If you're big about size and weight, the GFC is the lightest option of that design on the market and the super thin tent portion gives the best overhead clearance of any RTT option that is above the cab. Problem with that is that it doesn't feel as robust as the Alu-Cab Canopy Camper (as it shouldn't at half the weight) and the thin tent portion means you can fit a sleeping bag and nothing else. Maybe ok for you but I need a pad as a side sleeper to be comfortable and it was annoying enough dealing with that in a soft RTT. Honestly, the mattress panels felt firm to me compared to the Tepui I had at the time but I can imagine that would break in over time.

I think the other big thing I didn't like was that the doors lock but the tent doesn't. It looked like adding a padlock hasp yourself would be an option but the bed of your truck isn't secure if it's as easy as popping a tent and removing a few floor panels to get in there.

For me, if I were dropping the coin on that or the more expensive Alu-Cab options, I'd want to give it a whirl before buying and committing to a 12 month lead time but I also don't feel like bed-tent access is a factor for me on a multi-use rig. Would probably see that differently if I were building something dedicated. I guess worst case scenario you can very likely get your money back from someone not wanting to wait if it doesn't work out.
I was of fan of the light weight and size because it will be going on my truck that's my daily driver for the foreseeable future. I've also heard the matress isn't all that comfortable which isn't to big of a deal because I can fall asleep on just about anything but you're right for the money you would want something comfortable to sleep on.

The not locking the tent part is something I didn't think of.

The bed/tent access I like for convenience. Standing while you get changed ect. I also have a dog I would like to take with me and getting him in to the bed of a truck then the tent Id imagine would be much less cumbersome.

Tomfxdb

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kenedy
Member #

Would using a Megamat Duo sleeping pad to replace the GFC mattress solve the problem? I use one in the Tepui and it is fantastic.
My question for these types of setups is how do you keep the mesquitos out of the tent. It seems like with the side panels or rear of the camper being open, they would have easy access to the tent if the floor panels are open.
Haven't thought of a way around that other than minimizing the time you have the hatches open in really buggy areas

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Did you look at the 50ten camper system? Not cheap either but you can have a flatbed truck and a camper all in one

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

OK, I've had a GFC, in fact, had the first one on the east coast. My wife and I are in our late 60's so climbing in and out got old. That aside, it is a quality built product from a company run by good people. Here's my take on a couple of questions raised so far.

The Exped Megamat Duo won't fit. Its about 3 inches too wide. I was told about this time last year by an Exped rep that perhaps they were working a deal with Exped...........

The "tent won't lock" issue in my opinion is a non-issue. 99% of the public walk by it and think its a pickup shell for a plumber, etc. Those who know what it is are typically like minded people who in my experience don't spend much time burglarizing vehicles.

Bugs in the tent? It is a tent and it is used outside, duh! Ten minutes with a Therma-cell fixes that problem.

At this point in time, the GFC is in such demand that if you get one and don't like it, sell it. When our health issues made us decide to sell ours, it sold for list price in about 36 hours.

Tomfxdb

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kenedy
Member #

OK, I've had a GFC, in fact, had the first one on the east coast. My wife and I are in our late 60's so climbing in and out got old. That aside, it is a quality built product from a company run by good people. Here's my take on a couple of questions raised so far.

The Exped Megamat Duo won't fit. Its about 3 inches too wide. I was told about this time last year by an Exped rep that perhaps they were working a deal with Exped...........

The "tent won't lock" issue in my opinion is a non-issue. 99% of the public walk by it and think its a pickup shell for a plumber, etc. Those who know what it is are typically like minded people who in my experience don't spend much time burglarizing vehicles.

Bugs in the tent? It is a tent and it is used outside, duh! Ten minutes with a Therma-cell fixes that problem.

At this point in time, the GFC is in such demand that if you get one and don't like it, sell it. When our health issues made us decide to sell ours, it sold for list price in about 36 hours.
I agree with you on the tent not locking being a non issue. The majority of the time I wouldn't have anything stored in the bed anyway if someone did know exactly how to get in. Not worried about it.

Other than the ease of access did you have any regrets going with the gfc? And what did you like most about it?

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

I agree with you on the tent not locking being a non issue. The majority of the time I wouldn't have anything stored in the bed anyway if someone did know exactly how to get in. Not worried about it.

Other than the ease of access did you have any regrets going with the gfc? And what did you like most about it?
Not sure I had any regrets. Since that time my wife has had a knee replacement and the climbing would be easier today:). Dust penetration from around the tailgate was an issue we never solved. I got a foam seal kit for the tailgate gaps and also caulked some corners and seams of the truck bed but anything inside the bed of the truck still got very dusty. That is not a fault of the GFC but just a reality of any truck shell.
I guess what I liked most was the quality of the build and the light weight.

Reactions: Tomfxdb

Ben_in_ILM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Myrtle Grove, NC
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jensen
Member #

I picked up my #800 GFC a couple of weeks ago, and it is great. I chose the extra door which in turn, gave me a total of three doors. I also chose two windows in the camper itself. Glad I did as it gives a little more visibility. It has the new Embassy Hinges which gives me some comfort. I didn't lose any MPG on the highway, but I have seen a little difference in town dropping about a half MPG. I am ready to hit the Outer Banks soon.

Last edited: