LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Has anyone used the Garmin Montana? If so, what are your impressions on it? I have been using the Garmin inreach SE+ for the past couple of years which I really love, but the map is a little slow on it. Is the Montana worth upgrading to? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: er waddell

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

Bay Colony Street, Las Vegas, Nevada 89131, United States
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
Has anyone used the Garmin Montana? If so, what are your impressions on it? I have been using the Garmin inreach SE+ for the past couple of years which I really love, but the map is a little slow on it. Is the Montana worth upgrading to? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
I have been using the Montana 700i. I was really interested in the use of inreach in my GPS unit.

I connect to my samsung tablet. I use the connect and explore software, as well as Gaia, onX, and offroad explorer.
The Garmin software on the tablet is OK. A bit of a learning curve. Garmin requires you use more than one software package to connect and explore.

The screen on the Montana is legible. It has all the maps preloaded, as well as poi like landmarks, camp grounds, gas stations etc.

I can also take it out of the truck and explore a trail.
For me it works well. I couldn't find anything that was a perfect fit for all of my needs, but this is close.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Thanks for the info. How is battery life in your opinion? I would love to use this as a GPS unit mounted in my vehicle, but would also like to take it with my during my hikes. What is your opinion on its durability? Is it rugged enough to take on a long hike? I fear that I would smash that screen once it leaves the truck, but I am very intrigued at the prospect of having my in-vehicle GPS and my satcom during hikes and other activities rolled into one unit. Thanks again for the info.

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
Thanks for the info. How is battery life in your opinion? I would love to use this as a GPS unit mounted in my vehicle, but would also like to take it with my during my hikes. What is your opinion on its durability? Is it rugged enough to take on a long hike? I fear that I would smash that screen once it leaves the truck, but I am very intrigued at the prospect of having my in-vehicle GPS and my satcom during hikes and other activities rolled into one unit. Thanks again for the info.
It is really tough. Brick like even. The worst part is carrying it. I purchased a kydex like holder from Amazon.

I leave my vehicle for a few hours for the hikes, then put it back into the vehicle mount. No issues with battery yet. You can extend battery with expedition mode.

I did have an issue on the last trip though. The screen froze, but my GPS info was still being relayed to Gaia. It was odd.

The inReach messaging works well. Just be aware the messages take time to send and receive. Maybe 15mins depending on your location.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Thanks, for the info and thoughts. I don't mind its size, and it's good to know that it is durable. My only question now as to whether to take a chance on one is whether the battery life is going to meet my needs. My current inreach can go for about 3 days when it's powered on with the screen locked and the brightness at 10%, and my trips usually range in the 4-5 day range. I do have inverter power in my truck, but it seems like a chore having to constatntly worry about whether the thing will have power in the event that I really need to hit the SOS button.

Reactions: er waddell

BrokeDown

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I just purchased a Montana i750 (didn't get it yet.) Mine will be plugged into the Jeep most of the time. I also subscribed to Geos ($50 a year for my wife and me). Our hikes would be less than 4 hours so I am not overly concerned about battery life. If my hike times get much longer, I would purchase an extra battery ($60 on the Garmin website.)

BTW: Most companies sell the i750 for $799. Walmart has it for $699. It does not say it is a refurb so I assume it is new??? Once I receive it (later this week,) I'll let you know.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Right on, I hadn't thought about getting a second battery. I think I have bought this by now if I didn't already have the inreach. Let us know how the unit yoy ordered works for you.

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
Thanks, for the info and thoughts. I don't mind its size, and it's good to know that it is durable. My only question now as to whether to take a chance on one is whether the battery life is going to meet my needs. My current inreach can go for about 3 days when it's powered on with the screen locked and the brightness at 10%, and my trips usually range in the 4-5 day range. I do have inverter power in my truck, but it seems like a chore having to constatntly worry about whether the thing will have power in the event that I really need to hit the SOS button.
In full operation mode it has 12 -18 hrs of battery. In expedition mode it last for many many days. You have to read the literature, but I leave mine in my gear bag for a week or more in between trips and it has power when I use it again.

It charges from a USB-c. I have it sitting in its mount in my truck when I am offroad. I even use the external antenna. It never gets low in the mount at 100% brightness. The mount charges it.