Thoughts of Honda CRV

• HTML tutorial

DustinLG

Rank 0

Traveler I

Last year I lost my Explorer. Well it saved my wife and oldest son's life so it was sacrificed for a good cause. Now I am looking at getting a used vehicle. I am thinking a Jeep grand cherokee but there is a 99 Honda CRV for little less than 3 grand. With about 150k miles.
Just looking for thoughts on them. I have a familu of 4 with a shepherd. We do lite overlanding and usually longer trips where we camp out of the car cause I hate campers.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

I've never owned one but I have always had a soft spot for them, I believe I may have seen one or two lifted throughout the years.

Sounds like a good price to me, before giving them money I would do some digging into the maintenance history, AWD components, major engine work etc.

4 plus the dog and some gear storage on the outside should be comfortable! Good luck.

Logan Johnson

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Central Washington
Member #

I’m often surprised by what my little crv will do. For purchasing one I recommend compression testing because they tend to burn exhaust valves. Also check for the fold down seats and the 5 speeds are better than the automatics though the 99-01s have a better tranny.

Attachments

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

What did you end up buying?

I will say that the CR-V is an outstanding vehicle in many respects. I absolutely love mine. If you're going to take all your kids and dog, you might want something bigger, though- depends how much gear you're hauling. I almost bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee, but the gas cost for the big V8 stopped me. If you can afford the gas and the cost of the rig, I believe the Jeep Grand Cherokee is an excellent rig. The Cherokee XJ, I believe from mid 90's to 2001 or so, is almost legendary in off road circles. It's outstanding in many, many respects and an excellent buy in good condition. The inline 6 engines are nearly bulletproof and get better mileage than the big v8 in the grand, of course.

Reactions: Majorbacon8r

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

They arent very good in icy conditions, the way the rear wheels kick in when you lose traction sent me and my dad on some 50 mph 180's a couple times back in AK.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

They arent very good in icy conditions, the way the rear wheels kick in when you lose traction sent me and my dad on some 50 mph 180's a couple times back in AK.
I've never driven in icy conditions per se, but it handled forest tracks in 10 inches of fresh snow like a champ.

Majorbacon8r

Rank 0

Traveler I

MN
First Name
Hunter
Last Name
Bacon
Get a cherokee, you won’t regret it if you enjoy DIY, everything’s dirt cheap and easy to do. It’ll go anywhere and you can beat on it all day long, they’re a dime a dozen.