This is really happening! Just bought an IKamper Skycamp RTT, roof rack, and awning!

• HTML tutorial

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Pretty stoked right now. We've been doing a ton of research and finally landed on a RTT, a roof rack, and an awning.

The base that we're starting with is a 2014 Jeep Rubicon Unlimted. 2.5" rock krawler lift, 35 series Mickey Thompson tires, Warn Zeon 10-s winch, Falcon 3.3 series shocks, JW Speaker 8700 Evolution J headlights, Rigid Industries light bar and pods, ARB dual air compressor, cobra 75 CB, optima yellowtop battery, TeraFlex tire carrier, hi-lift jack, etc. The Jeep has been great to off-road in, but now it is time to get it set up for the next phase of our journey...

So, here are the details in case anyone has this equipment, or is thinking about getting any of these items and wants to discuss.

The RTT is the IKamper Skycamp. The "Rocky Black" edition which is a line-x style matte black. We landed on this tent specifically because we're a family of 3 and we wanted a quick and easy set up and breakdown for our upcoming overlanding travels. It takes about 45 seconds to fully deploy and about 1 minute 30 seconds to stow. We also wanted the added protection of the Rocky Black edition because we already do a ton of offroading and I've made friends with more than one branch in my day.

The roof rack is a Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform JA7697.

The awning is the Rhino-Rack Batwing Awning. 270 degree coverage.

We've also already picked up our ARB 50QT Fridge/Freezer. (This we've been using daily already)

We still have a lot more gear to get and vehicle upgrades to make. But we've made a list. Can't share photos yet of the tent, awning, or roof rack because we're not installing it until we get to Colorado in late September. We're currently in Medora, ND (Theodore Roosevelt National Park) Next week we'll be in Rapid City, SD.

Obviously when I have all of this on the Jeep, I'll try and post up some photos.

Fairly new to the forums, but wanted to share our excitement with the Overland Bound community! Glad to be here!

#OB14045
Eric AKA Jeepsies

TLK

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, GA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Kekel
Member #

Service Branch
US Coast Guard
Yes definitely keep us up on the iKamper. I’ve been looking at them for two months, just hard to pull the trigger.

Fjelljeger

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Alaska, USA
First Name
Land
Last Name
Hayward
Member #

Pretty stoked right now. We've been doing a ton of research and finally landed on a RTT, a roof rack, and an awning.

The base that we're starting with is a 2014 Jeep Rubicon Unlimted. 2.5" rock krawler lift, 35 series Mickey Thompson tires, Warn Zeon 10-s winch, Falcon 3.3 series shocks, JW Speaker 8700 Evolution J headlights, Rigid Industries light bar and pods, ARB dual air compressor, cobra 75 CB, optima yellowtop battery, TeraFlex tire carrier, hi-lift jack, etc. The Jeep has been great to off-road in, but now it is time to get it set up for the next phase of our journey...

So, here are the details in case anyone has this equipment, or is thinking about getting any of these items and wants to discuss.

The RTT is the IKamper Skycamp. The "Rocky Black" edition which is a line-x style matte black. We landed on this tent specifically because we're a family of 3 and we wanted a quick and easy set up and breakdown for our upcoming overlanding travels. It takes about 45 seconds to fully deploy and about 1 minute 30 seconds to stow. We also wanted the added protection of the Rocky Black edition because we already do a ton of offroading and I've made friends with more than one branch in my day.

We've also already picked up our ARB 50QT Fridge/Freezer. (This we've been using daily already)

We still have a lot more gear to get and vehicle upgrades to make. But we've made a list. Can't share photos yet of the tent, awning, or roof rack because we're not installing it until we get to Colorado in late September. We're currently in Medora, ND (Theodore Roosevelt National Park) Next week we'll be in Rapid City, SD.

Obviously when I have all of this on the Jeep, I'll try and post up some photos.

Fairly new to the forums, but wanted to share our excitement with the Overland Bound community! Glad to be here!

#OB14045
Eric AKA Jeepsies
Any updates or pictures of your setup? I’m considering the Skycamp with the Annex, but would like a 270/batwing to cover the rest of the way around my vehicle; specifically the rear end.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Any updates or pictures of your setup? I’m considering the Skycamp with the Annex, but would like a 270/batwing to cover the rest of the way around my vehicle; specifically the rear end.
Yep. Everything is still functioning great and we've put it through every kind of weather and road (and off road) condition. We opted for the batwing as well. Updated photo:

Jeepsies-Full-Setup.jpg

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

#OB14045
Eric AKA Jeepsies
Congrats! The IKamper Skycamp Mini is my "dream" RTT if I ever decide to go that way.

-TJ

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Honest question: how long does that entire setup take to put up and break down?

-TJ
You might have better luck reaching them over on their Blog. Jeepsies are professional full time Overlanders and might be away from our forum for a few days. They seam to respond quickly to replies at their blog, they also give a full review of this tent there as well In detail.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

You might have better luck reaching them over on their Blog. Jeepsies are professional full time Overlanders and might be away from our forum for a few days. They seam to respond quickly to replies at their blog, they also give a full review of this tent there as well In detail.

Thanks for the info, I'll just see if they end up replying here or not. I've seen lots of reviews of the tent itself, and I definitely like it. I just want the "mini" version if I ever go RTT.

It's the total setup w/ the awning, anex room, etc. etc. etc. that just looks miserable to setup and break down. I can't imagine waking up at 4am when a storm rolls in with heavy rain and high winds and having to break down all that extra stuff. Even in perfect weather conditions it seems like that would take 10x longer to setup than a ground tent, an EZUp, a few tables, etc. etc. I still have a 5th wheel Toy Hauler type trailer that I take for extended "riding" trips. When I Overland I want simplicity. The 5'er is super-nice, but it's a decent amount of messing around and setting up (though, this one has auto-levelers which is pretty nice). With the Jeep I want to go from parked to setup as quickly as possible... heck getting it to where parked = setup is the dream.

-TJ

Reactions: Graeman