Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I like the 5.2 V8 over the 4 liter I6 because it has wonderful low end torque.

The Magnum engines were introduced in 1964. The SOHC I6 was introduced in 1993.
Actually Jeeps had a I-6 230 cubic inch OHC in 1962.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

One thing I didn't mention is that I got this Montero Sport for free. Including taxes, maintenance, and repairs I am in to the thing $385. That includes timing belt/water pump, tune up, starter, front brakes/bearing pack. The valve guides were repaced under the original warranty. So i am already light years ahead with this thing on the reliability front.

Another option. Buy $100 beater wagon to haul boat stuff. Get Bilsteins and 32's for the Monty. Spend the rest on gear to make the family comfortable.

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

One thing I didn't mention is that I got this Montero Sport for free. Including taxes, maintenance, and repairs I am in to the thing $385. That includes timing belt/water pump, tune up, starter, front brakes/bearing pack. The valve guides were repaced under the original warranty. So i am already light years ahead with this thing on the reliability front.

Another option. Buy $100 beater wagon to haul boat stuff. Get Bilsteins and 32's for the Monty. Spend the rest on gear to make the family comfortable.
To me, this is a huge point. This puts you way ahead of the curve. I totally get the whole "grass is greener" thing, and wanting the most-capable vehicle; I suffer from it too. But, the Montero Sport is a decent platform, despite the shortcoming of options available in the aftermarket. Everyone seemingly has a Jeep or Toyota - you have an opportunity to carve out a unique niche with a less orthodox, but equally capable, vehicle.

Just my opinion, but I think it'd be a bit silly to change. But, it's ultimately your happiness in the end that matters. If the Jeep is going to bring you the joy you want, then who are we to judge you for going that way?

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Now I see the problem.

You have a hole in the water.

:yum:
Overwatering, aka sailing, is another thing I fell in love with after moving to the PNW from Texas. The ultimate goal is to retire on a boat and take off. But we have 13+ years before that happens. So for now we will travel by land and keep homebase in a great school district.