Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
Has anybody had any experience with a air opus. No rush I did some research and found out you can rent one from the factory in South Bay for 3 days for 100.00 there is more to it but I don’t want to sound like a commercial. Anyway because of medical issues ground camping really isn’t a option we have looked at RTT but that kinda limits trails because of the high center of gravity so we think that a trailer and base camp is the best option for US we like most of the expedition trailers such as turtleback and smitty this is just another option we want to explore before making a decision next spring.

Reactions: SubeeBen

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

What model are you looking at ? Look like some very nice trailers. If you have the option to rent before you buy, highly suggested. Good luck & keep us posted.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I have pretty much decided to order a 4 sleeper with the annex.

What I haven't decided on is if I want the A/C-Heat or just the heat.

Things I notice they gouge pretty heavily on are the on demand hot water heater, and cartridge toilet, I'll source those independently.

They are making a zip on awning, but it doesn't cover the kitchen.

Over all seems well thought out, well constructed and substantial. Fits my weight requirements, and is huge inside. I will have to do something to make the bed bigger, but I already have a mental plan for that. The second bed I'm going to refit as a wardrobe of sorts.

I'm 6'6, the ceiling is 8 feet and that is an important concern for me.
2019092195091515.jpg

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
What model are you looking at ? Look like some very nice trailers. If you have the option to rent before you buy, highly suggested. Good luck & keep us posted.
The wife want the 4 person I want the two person off road addition. We usually make a trip out to California in the spring so we are kinda planning on renting one then and going from there. We will keep everyone updated
I am thinking 2 person off road with annex if available if not it will be 4 person off road with annex oh and it will have ac and the heater my wife has spoken

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The wife want the 4 person I want the two person off road addition. We usually make a trip out to California in the spring so we are kinda planning on renting one then and going from there. We will keep everyone updated

I am thinking 2 person off road with annex if available if not it will be 4 person off road with annex oh and it will have ac and the heater my wife has spoken
The A/C will only work on shore power or generator in case you didn't know.

The 4 sleeper has much more room in the "living area" than the 2 sleeper.

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
Thank You for the information. Good thing that I have a generator usually try not to use it because of the noise but to have a air conditioner while camping oh that would be awesome

Reactions: bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Thank You for the information. Good thing that I have a generator usually try not to use it because of the noise but to have a air conditioner while camping oh that would be awesome
I'm with you, I well understand the value of A/C, I promise. I am struggling with this decision personally for a couple of reasons. One is I somewhat doubt the efficiency of the unit in what is effectively a tent, and two though I will have a generator I really don't want to have to run one constantly.

I will say this, and you should look for yourself, when the kitchen slide is open and the air is on, you are going to be pushing a lot of air around that slide. This can be corrected with some "engineering" by building an insulation pack that rides the end of the kitchen slide I believe.

So on one hand the $500 add on for air is minimal, but I'm not convinced it is effective enough to add the more complex mechanical system. I will say with all of the panels opened up the Opus is pretty airy inside, and I think a small DC fan or two would do about as well as the (minimally) ducted A/C.

I'd really like to hear from someone with real practical experience on this matter. There is a Facebook Opus group , but I'm not a Facebooker

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
I agree with you. That is why I think a trial run is necessary in this case I definitely think renting one is a good idea then if I decide to buy I can buy with knowledge

Reactions: bgenlvtex

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
hi everyone,

I recently bought the OPUS 4 and although it takes some getting used it is a great trailer. I have the model with the AC/heat pump. I haven’t used the a/c other than to test it and it seems to blow cold, I don’t think it will have too hard a time keeping it cool. You are right though, it need to be connected to shore power. Important thing to note that the heat pump is not a furnace. It has limited efficiency below40-45*. I am happy I got it because I expect to do more warm weather camping than cool camping. If you expect to do cold weather camping more then you should get the propane furnace model.

the ”tropical roof” cover shades the opus to keep it cool in the sun, the inflatable ribs are designed so that air circulated between the solar cover and the roof of the tent so that you don’t bake from the sun. If you want it more open the cover comes off easily and then you will be able to open the four large skylights.

I tow mine with a 2017 Toyota tacoma (v6 4wd OR). With the exception of the rpms going to 3k on moderate up hills it does great pulling/stopping with the trailer on. Just about the same width of the truck.