BarryD

Rank 0

Contributor II

Weaver, AL, USA
First Name
Barry
Last Name
Rich
Anyone willing to share their thoughts on the Nissan Xterra Pro 4X as an overlanding vehicle? I know they’re a haus offroad, I’ve seen the videos. I just don’t know much about their reliability.

Appreciate any and all help! Cheers!

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Their only issues were with the combination coolers mixing atf and coolant. The VQ engine is very reliable.

Reactions: BarryD

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
It depends on what you're doing with. They're comfortable, reliable, and pretty durable, while getting decent mileage. 2004 and older are more durable, have stronger drive trains, but get TERRIBLE fuel mileage (I have one and love it). The pro-4x is pretty reliable. If you get 2011 and before, make sure to verify that it's not been afflicted with the SMOD (Strawberry Milkshake of Death). This is where the seal between the coolant and trans fluid in the radiator fails, and mixes the two fluids, causing the transmission to fail. This only affects Xterras with an Auto.

A mild lift and 33's on the X with the rear locker will get you pretty much anywhere. Good aftermarket support as well. It's not on the same level as Toyota or Jeep, but everything you need is there.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
After Test driving a Jeep Patriot, an X, and a Chevy TrailBlazer (all 2006 models), I ended up purchasing the Trailblazer. It had more driver room, better cargo area storage, and I felt better ergonomics for control panel layout than both the Jeep and the Nissan. I am a tall skinny guy (74” 145 lbs), the Jeep didnt Have enough head room, and the with the seat all the way back was a stretch for me to reach the radio and climate controls.
There isn’t a lot of aftermarket support for the trailblazer, but it just plain works in stock form. Gets decent gas mileage, goes on 99% of the trails I normally go on, pulled my 2 ATVS better than my 3/4 Ram with a v-8. The biggest downfall to me was the lack of room to mount full size coms, switch panels, and electric trailer brake in the front passenger compartment. However with a little creativity I was able to overcome these obstacles.

BarryD

Rank 0

Contributor II

Weaver, AL, USA
First Name
Barry
Last Name
Rich
It depends on what you're doing with. They're comfortable, reliable, and pretty durable, while getting decent mileage. 2004 and older are more durable, have stronger drive trains, but get TERRIBLE fuel mileage (I have one and love it). The pro-4x is pretty reliable. If you get 2011 and before, make sure to verify that it's not been afflicted with the SMOD (Strawberry Milkshake of Death). This is where the seal between the coolant and trans fluid in the radiator fails, and mixes the two fluids, causing the transmission to fail. This only affects Xterras with an Auto.

A mild lift and 33's on the X with the rear locker will get you pretty much anywhere. Good aftermarket support as well. It's not on the same level as Toyota or Jeep, but everything you need is there.
Thank you, sir! I’ve been passenger in several, but not really anything technical, mostly muddy trails and a few water crossings.

I’m wanting to be able to go to remote places and not worry about getting there. I don’t plan on a lot of rock crawling. But should I find myself presented with that kind of obstacle, I’d like to be able to get through it. Does that make any sense?

BarryD

Rank 0

Contributor II

Weaver, AL, USA
First Name
Barry
Last Name
Rich
After Test driving a Jeep Patriot, an X, and a Chevy TrailBlazer (all 2006 models), I ended up purchasing the Trailblazer. It had more driver room, better cargo area storage, and I felt better ergonomics for control panel layout than both the Jeep and the Nissan. I am a tall skinny guy (74” 145 lbs), the Jeep didnt Have enough head room, and the with the seat all the way back was a stretch for me to reach the radio and climate controls.
There isn’t a lot of aftermarket support for the trailblazer, but it just plain works in stock form. Gets decent gas mileage, goes on 99% of the trails I normally go on, pulled my 2 ATVS better than my 3/4 Ram with a v-8. The biggest downfall to me was the lack of room to mount full size coms, switch panels, and electric trailer brake in the front passenger compartment. However with a little creativity I was able to overcome these obstacles.
I hadn’t even considered a Trailblazer, but I will see what’s out there. Thanks for giving me another perspective to consider!

Reactions: M Rose

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

I hadn’t even considered a Trailblazer, but I will see what’s out there. Thanks for giving me another perspective to consider!
I had a 2007 Trailblazer LT 4x4. They're solid vehicles. Very little enthusiasts' aftermarket support, but the essentials (wheels and suspension) are out there. A popular mod for the rear is to swap the springs with contemporary Z71 Tahoe springs. I would recommend a '06+ year model for the "best" version of the LL8 4.2L I6 (291HP, 277lb.ft). They're a decent size without being too big, in my opinion, and they're reliable, but also easy enough to work on when required. A shit-ton were made across different models, so parts supply is good, too.

Reactions: reaver and BarryD

BarryD

Rank 0

Contributor II

Weaver, AL, USA
First Name
Barry
Last Name
Rich
I had a 2007 Trailblazer LT 4x4. They're solid vehicles. Very little enthusiasts' aftermarket support, but the essentials (wheels and suspension) are out there. A popular mod for the rear is to swap the springs with contemporary Z71 Tahoe springs. I would recommend a '06+ year model for the "best" version of the LL8 4.2L I6 (291HP, 277lb.ft). They're a decent size without being too big, in my opinion, and they're reliable, but also easy enough to work on when required. A shit-ton were made across different models, so parts supply is good, too.
That’s good to know!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
The i6 is a SOLID motor too. Makes tons of power at low rpms, and shouldn't give you many headaches.

That being said, I think the xterra is a better vehicle (and I've been a chevy guy my whole life). Better built, rear locker option, solid motor, and more aftermarket support.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

A trailblazer and a xterra are two way different rigs made for two different purposes, the trailblazer is more of a crossover suv and the xterra is a proper suv . They are both going to have pluses and minuses . If your just going to tackle forest service roads and explore with long road days and prefer a more car like ride a crossover type suv might be a better fit , if you plan on hitting some harder trails a proper suv will suit you more . Personally I like a more truck like driving experience and find frame on body rigs to be quieter on long road days than a unibody rig .

BarryD

Rank 0

Contributor II

Weaver, AL, USA
First Name
Barry
Last Name
Rich
A trailblazer and a xterra are two way different rigs made for two different purposes, the trailblazer is more of a crossover suv and the xterra is a proper suv . They are both going to have pluses and minuses . If your just going to tackle forest service roads and explore with long road days and prefer a more car like ride a crossover type suv might be a better fit , if you plan on hitting some harder trails a proper suv will suit you more . Personally I like a more truck like driving experience and find frame on body rigs to be quieter on long road days than a unibody rig .
I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with Xterra. I’ve been looking at aftermarket support and mods, and it’s much more doable to build a decent rig on my budget.

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

I’ve looked at those, too. If I went that route, I’d need a good truck camper. Any suggestions?
Are you planning on sleeping in the Xterra or throwing a RTT on it?

Also while there is some aftermarket support, lead times can be long. Just be aware that you'll need to plan ahead and be patient.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
True. We did Big Bend for the holidays and saw a few Xterras out on the trails., they seemed to do quite well and looked good doing it. I think Nissan is right there with Toyota for the most part. My buddy got a Titan HD and that thing is a BEAST! I sort of like it better than my new Tundra.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I have wheeled with a few buddies that have the Pro-4x or "off-road" version with rear elocker. I have been surprised by these rugged, capable, reliable trucks. If you live in warmer climates I'd suggest doing the radiator bypass just in case. If you are in colder climates replace the radiator. Other thing to look out for is timing chain guide noise. Some have it and the guide wears prematurely but in some cases starts and goes away so have a listen when you are inspecting.

Reactions: grubworm

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Just to be clear, when I recommend a Chevrolet Trailblazer, I am specifically referring to the 2002 - 2009 GMT360 chassis, which is a FR/4WD Body-on-Frame SUV; not a unibody crossover.

The all-new 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer is definitely more of a "soft roader" crossover SUV and not something I would generally recommend for Overlanding.

Reactions: reaver and M Rose