Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
I'm in the early planning stage for a 3 week trip. I'm wanting to drive from Mn to Baja and camp on the beach.
I have driven in Mexico before , twice in rental cars, and I took a Moto to Puerta Vallarta.
Ive never been to Baja, I would be driving my 4runner and pulling a small trailer w rtt, possibly bringing 2 paddle boards and a dual sport Moto .
Looking for advice on route and camping, and any tips regarding travel in Baja .

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

When are you planing to go? How much off road do you want? How far south. I spend a bunch of time there and want to give you proper info.

I'll start with the basics:
Don't drive at night if possible, live stock is all over the roads.
Pay for gas with pesos as much as possible.
Most gas stations and hotels will take a credit cards, not American Express.
Get pesos from ATM's.
Let you bank know you'll be in Baja, credit cards too
Get your Ins. from Baja Bound, I like Chub, it's little bit more. You can get a 90 day, year long policy for about the same price as 2 weeks only.
They may have a 6 month Policy too.
Almost all small stores( Oxxo or Six) have a RO system to refill your water. Most sell ice too. If you want Block go to the icehouse big towns have them
So stores will allow you to purchase water in Gals and freeze over night in their ice freezer. Make sure you keep the receipt as the clerks might be different.
Know how to air up and down and how to get out being stuck in the sand.
Bring a shovel.
The beaches In the Concepcion will be full by Dec. 31th snow birds are all over durning the winter months
Cell service is very questionable, Wifi is a bit better, ask around. Some places have high speed internet for sale, $8.00 for a month.
Driving Mex 5 is fast and boring, Driving Mex 1 is pretty and the desert forest are impressive.

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
Thanks MMc,
I have driven my motorcycle to PV so I’m familiar with the dangers of night driving and know about fuel and the best practice for getting pesos.
we’re thinking maybe February, not sure yet how far south, I don’t know how cold it usually is and if we go farther down if it makes a big difference temperature wise.
good tip for insurance,thanks.
any advice regarding east or west coast?
I’m thinking of crossing at Mexicali, but I want to research some more

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

The drive on the highway to Cabo is 20 to 26 hours not counting any stops.
Which coast is a toss up. If there is a low over the 4 corner state the wind will be blowing down the Sea of Cortez. It can really blow for days. Great beaches when it calm. The pacific side is quite pretty but often breezy too. I would drive down The Pacific side and back the Sea of Cortiz. if you don't drive the Pacific side you will miss some of the best Baja has to see. Cativina is a must see, Bahia de Los Angeles is worth a visit. Driving south from BdLA on the road to El Arco will put you close to some great beaches, Bahia las Animas, San Rafael, Punta Francisquito, El Barrel all are worth seeing. Going to Bahia Asuncion is a great time too, It's off the main track and is just cool The beaches south of Mulege are very popular and will be crowded.
I would stop in Guerrero Negro to get up close to the Grey Whales, Whale Magic tours runs a great operation with english speaking guides. you can camp at the back Lagoon and get a boat from there too. The Missions are the oldest buildings in all of Baja, always good to look at.

Reactions: Dcwn.45

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
The drive on the highway to Cabo is 20 to 26 hours not counting any stops.
Which coast is a toss up. If there is a low over the 4 corner state the wind will be blowing down the Sea of Cortez. It can really blow for days. Great beaches when it calm. The pacific side is quite pretty but often breezy too. I would drive down The Pacific side and back the Sea of Cortiz. if you don't drive the Pacific side you will miss some of the best Baja has to see. Cativina is a must see, Bahia de Los Angeles is worth a visit. Driving south from BdLA on the road to El Arco will put you close to some great beaches, Bahia las Animas, San Rafael, Punta Francisquito, El Barrel all are worth seeing. Going to Bahia Asuncion is a great time too, It's off the main track and is just cool The beaches south of Mulege are very popular and will be crowded.
I would stop in Guerrero Negro to get up close to the Grey Whales, Whale Magic tours runs a great operation with english speaking guides. you can camp at the back Lagoon and get a boat from there too. The Missions are the oldest buildings in all of Baja, always good to look at.
Thanks a bunch! This is exactly the kind of information I’m looking for.